I'm Cold And This Weather Blows

That is all. :fatchance:

You could use your domestic warming device otherwise known as “the wife.”

If she were here, I wouldn’t be here.

Fuck this noise. I’m gonna go sit in the car with the heater on.

You looked ok in Japan :ponder:

Just what I was thinking!

It’s days like these that one curses the lack of insulation in the walls.

I have two 8000 dollar heaters. One on one side of my place, and one on the other. I have to open a window once in a while to cool off.

The next bet would be do rig up one of those temple money-burners with a chimney out of one of the windows. Could burn bamboo furniture of pallets or something.

Can you explain this statement, please. Is there a thermostat involved?

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]I have two 8000 dollar heaters. One on one side of my place, and one on the other. I have to open a window once in a while to cool off.

The next bet would be do rig up one of those temple money-burners with a chimney out of one of the windows. Could burn bamboo furniture of pallets or something.[/quote]

So how’s your power bill, usually, in the winter?

We’ve been fairly lucky this season. And it’s stopping raining now, here in The Taint.
I rode home last night on my scooter at 5:00 AM in the pouring rain. No gloves, my hands have not been so cold since winter exercises back in the day at Wainwright.
{wain}Rainwrong!

Isnt that funny how JD could be ok in Japan but cold in Taiwan? But its probably cuz no home heating in Taiwan.

At least things are not as bad as the big snow storms in China right now. Big mess there.

I hate Northern Taiwan winters. It would be ok if it was only ONE month long tho? But its not just

OH I might add that here in the Good ol USA in the bay area, we are getting days of bout 10c and nites close to zero C but I have my temperature inside the house set at 24 C :slight_smile:

And it only costs me 100 bucks /month to heat my 25 ping apartment to boot. For electricity and gas (for heating of home and hot water heater).

not bad really.

thats a bargain by Taiwan standards,

Summertime my electricity/gas bill hovers round 40 to 50 bucks/month

You have a point. I spent two winters in Taipei. The first just about froze me to death. The housing just isn’t built to be warm. No, it’s built to let in the smallest of breezes in the summer and the coldest of freezes in the winter. The next winter I was pregnant. I felt like a human oven. I made my husband move the bed into the living room so we could sleep under the airconditioner! I’d lie there under that airconditioner naked and sweating, and he’d have on five or six layers of clothes and every blanket we owned. We couldn’t make it work, but he must have loved me back then!

Who the hell said I was “ok” in Japan? It was minus 10 Celsius! And I like had on a wool sweater, which is now being dry cleaned, and a jacket and wool hat.

Not to worry. We will have heat in this house by god, and SOON!

My bonus list includes a split air con thingee - heats and cools. I promise I will never again find myself near a Chinese New year with: a) no ticket to somewhere warm; and b) no freakin’ heating!

And as for JD in Hokkaido, I presume he at least had the pleasure of heating where he stayed. You just don’t often get that luxury south of the snow.

HG

I kept myself warm by building a 4x12 guitar cabinet in my room…

The amp put out quite a bit of heat especially overdriven but too bad I am no where near as good as slash for that to happen…

Please spare a thought for a poor Latina shivering under two bed spreads and a blanket. The cats peed on my two down conforters in retaliation for the dog’s barking at them, and we’ve been without any significant means of warm up except each other. And four cats on top of me leads to little sleep. (plus the dry cleaning is taking a looong time, over a week already).

Last night I took the risk of setting up both the radiator and a ceramic hot air thinghy both at once in the same room. Brrr!

To make matters worse, my furry friends won’t let me sleep late. One of them usually trusts his paw into my face when he wants me to wake up. He miscalculated and ended up hooking a claw up my nostril. Ouch!

I never thought I’d say this but I hope winter ends soon.

How about I bring my dogs round? They can bark at your dog, then the cats will be relieved of the necessity to pee in your bed.

I’m not sure how this will help anybody keep warm, but it’s a start.

Me, I’m freezing! What sane occupying power would build a city here? Why isn’t Gaoxiong the capital of Taiwan?

I thought Taipei would be better than Ohio, but I now realize I need to move much closer to the equator than this. At least Ohio had snow to make up for the weather…and also freaking sunny days. I hate waking up to the same ugly ass shade of gray out the window everyday. I stayed in bed in Ohio because it was warm. I stay in bed in Taiwan because it’s not worth rushing to wake up to such hideous weather.

As for my heater: nonexistent. Or rather, curling up with my three 1.5 liter water bottles full of scalding tap water and being envious of the two cats curled up together at the foot of the bed as if wearing fur coats to bed wasn’t showing off enough.

I visited the JDfamily abode earlier this evening, and while nowhere near as cold as the hill, the lack of heating was very evident in the bone chilling tile floor and concrete walls. At this time, I’ve got a heater/AC blasting at a comfortable 23c.

A couple of things: first, don’t bother with anything that plugs into a 110v outlet if the room is much over 3 pings, and less if you have drafts. Second, dehumidifiers, 24/7. Third, 220V is your heating friend if you really want to use electricity to heat your home. An oil radiator heater in 220V-14 rib configuration can really turn on the heat.

In reality, the only real way to stay warm is to either consider some sort of gas heating, or buy a heater/ac.

Kerosene heaters are outrageously overprice here, but a 8-14,000BTU Kerosene heater can take the chill off of 20pings or more of living space. Next time you are home, pick one up. A 69.95USD heater for example, sells for 12-150000NT here. You can also buy Propane or Natural gas heaters…But alas, not in Taiwan. Last time my coworker took a business trip to the USA, he brought back for me a “little buddy” propane heater. It cost 90USD, and heats up my entire first floor from 7-23C in about 2 hours. At 18,000BTU, it cranks some major heat.

I can’t for the life of me see why anyone would choose to suffer the most horrible kind of cold in a damp, concrete box.

I asked JDson about the extreme cold in Hokkaido. With wisdom that goes beyond a thermometer, the young lad said simply “It’s colder here”.

And finally, where are all those idiots who back in October were saying, “God, I can’t wait for winter”

You’ll find I never was among that rank as I friggin’ hate everything winter. Especially the soggy version they play over here in the skies of Taipei.