I'm having a night cap whiskey and I feel a bit guilty about it

Or is it the whiskey part? Wine will be upset when it finds out you’ve cheated on it? :hushed:

Your words to god’s ears

@rooftopclown Thanks.

@bdog Lol. Love that show

Haha. Both

Oh man. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to appreciate wine, or distinguish one red from another (same with white). Give me two whiskies though, you better sit down because a TED talk is a comin’.

Hear, hear. To me, it all tastes like vinegar that hasn’t been proberly aged.

Seeing double is one thing, but seeing triple? :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

For those curious, I’ve switched over to 420. :evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:s are lower in calorie and way better for you anyway.

1 Like

Vaping?

Have you tried the stainless grasshopper - it basically looks like a fat pen

Costco is having a deal on special edition Glenlivets… I’ve held myself back on two seperate trips and it’s killing me

I tell you what Taiwan whiskey is good. It’s funny to go to whiskey bars and all the locals avoid drinking it but it is good period.

20180824_023543

But the bottle in the photo you posted is brandy.

2 Likes

Who’s counting…

I think it may be time for the barkeep to cut you off. :sunglasses:

Me, for one who notices the difference. Brandy, cognac, and American whiskEy are way too sweet for me, and less complex than a fine Scotch whisky. I’ll probably be called a snob for this, as in other cases. I like Johnnie Walker Green Label in terms of value for money (notice how I’ll get away for using British terminology but daily blamed for using simple, local terms such as CP值). In other news, red and black label are only good for mixed drinks, again the advice of the Taiwanese who love black label.

If you like scotch, try some single malt. My current fave under $200 is the Lagavulin 18yr. Or, if you’re on a tighter budget the 16yr. Even more budget friendly are Macallans, anywhere from 15-12yrs. In a pinch the Glenfiddich 12yr is a solid one too.

2 Likes

I attest to your taste in Scotch. I’m more into red wine of late, due to frequent of my quaffing.

I’ve been having a night cap almost daily for some time and haven’t really hesitated because we’re talking zero carbs with whiskey, bourbon, etc.

But ever since my trip over the new year, I have been anywhere from 0.5 - 2 kilos above where I was before my trip. In the last week or so, probably closer to the higher end of that. Even when I have been very careful about carbs. Then I didn’t drink the last two nights, and voila, a little dip in my weight. So I started looking into things, and this is what I found below. I always eat a bit after alcohol consumption because I think it’s healthy to do so for your stomach and also in case I exercise the next morning, I want to be hurting a little less and not be totally starved of calories (serious low blood sugar after exercise).

When it comes to whisky and weight gain, the following is the kicker. Most people don’t consume huge amounts of whisky in a single sitting but even if you drank half a bottle (350ml) of 40%ABV whisky, you are only consuming 771.5Cal (3,239.5kJ) from alcohol. But, half a bottle of whisky is a significant amount of alcohol, just over 11 Australian standard drinks.

On average, it takes your body one hour to process one standard drink or 10g of alcohol.

Why is this important? Your body will always metabolise alcohol before it metabolises anything else. Why? Because the primary product of alcohol metabolism is acetaldehyde, a toxin, which must be processed by your body before more alcohol can be metabolised in order to avoid poisoning. Your body makes this process a priority, essentially halting the metabolism of any other energy source until it is complete. That means that any Calories consumed other than Calories from alcohol, will be converted to fat until all the alcohol is out of your system. So, anything you eat in the 11 hours after consuming half a bottle of whisky, will be converted to fat stores rather than metabolised by your body. Beware, this is the trap that most of us fall into when combining alcoholic beverages and food.

1 Like

If you took a trip it might be the stress of the trip on the body, especially if you traveled across time zones.

I lost 30 lbs since switching from mainly beer to mainly whisky.

1 Like

I went to Korea and it was a short trip. I gained weight and I expected that. From about 84 kilos to about 85.5. It has since been a struggle to get back to 84, when previously I could do this easily and quickly. I’m laying off the booze to see if this is the culprit. Not an easy task for me.

30 pounds from that switch for you! That’s amazing.

Did a costco trip today and couldn’t let the Macallan 12yr deal pass since IMO at $40 this puppy’s a huge steal.

Which is why I’m sipping on some sweet vanilla-y single malt, neat, as I’m typing this out right now.

Gave myself permission to have a “home-pour” double, as a reward for the find. Yum.

4 Likes

My night caps with Monkey Shoulder have been magnificent. And guilt free, by which I mean I feel great in the morning and have no problem exercising. With the break in the rain, I’m looking forward to my ride early tomorrow. I think I’ll drink to that.

1 Like