I'm in the doghouse!

watch your back, mo. just could be the time he calls about 8 of his buddies over.

Tigerman,

You shoulda said “yeah, we can be friends and since this is about dogs, we should make friends the way dogs do…why don’t you come over here and lick my balls.” :laughing:

That guy wasn’t going to fight you. If he wanted to have a go at you he would have brought about 5 of his friends. The locals only fight one-to-one when they are too drunk to call their buddies.

Hope the Mrs. is okay.

Appreciate your sentiments. She is, I believe, OK.

Actually, she’s fairly excited. A few months ago she went to see her fortune teller for consultation regarding her business (whether or not she should open a new store). The soothsayer told her that she would do well in business with a second store, but that she will really get rich in a new venture a few years from now.

The soothsayer also predicted that she would be hit by a car soon :shock: . Well, given the driving habits of the locals and my wife’s tendency not to be overly careful, I’ve been predicting the same thing for years… but I’m not a soothsayer.

Anyway, she purchased the rights to a second franchise earlier this week… and was then hit by a car…

Gawd, I should be so lucky! :wink:

HG

[quote=“tigerman”]He wanted to shake hands and I did, but I sqeezed his hand as hard as I could. He tried to hug me, but I told him “don’t fucking hug me” and he got offended.
He asked if we could be friends, and I replied “no, let’s just not be enemies”. I don’t know if I should have been nicer at that point???[/quote]

I’d have been inclined to accept his conciliatory gesture and reciprocate. That would have given him and his the face of being seen to be “alright with the foreigner now”, and the muttering and spreading of poison against you might stop. There may not have been a crowd around you, but certainly there were people watching very intently (including those in the shop). The appearance of what happened between you would have mattered to him a lot. A suitably amicable denouement would have appeased him sufficiently; but if he felt he’d appeared to be put in his place and to any extent humiliated by the foreigner, his sense of grievance would be magnified and he wouldn’t be able to let it go. Though he didn’t dare to do anything about it there and then, when you’d evidently succeeded in making him feel thoroughly intimidated and at a substantial disadvantage, I’m afraid he’s going to be hell bent on getting revenge. At the very least, he and his family and their cronies will be going all out to blacken your name and undermine your position in the community, and in such an “us and them” situation, very few locals will dare to stand up for or show solidarity with the foreigner.

Stuff like that is awful. It really eats away at you. I hope things will turn out okay, that you won’t hear anything more about it, and that the dark clouds of misfortune will disappear from over your heads.

BTW, did the burglary and the scooter accident happen before or after the altercation with the neighbours?

Before. But my wife was on a bicycle, not a scooter.

Not to make light of the situation (which is awful), but you know me well enough by now to know that humour is my preferred defense mechanism.

I see only one thing to do…get a tattoo. For yourself, your wife, your son and even Dofu. It works for me…I often take the garbage out with no shirt on so my neighbours know not to mess with me. Not sure if it’s the tattoo or the Molson muscle…but, so far, only one broken (snapped off) mirror on my motorcycle, which was kindly placed on the seat…probably an accident from some little skinny guy trying to move my faux-hawg (Piglet).

Tattoos carry alot of weight in these here parts…that and good diction when saying “Wa shi Low Mwua!”…

Hope Mrs. T’s feeling fine…and you should drink beer…alot of beer…I’ll help if you want…as will the regular cronies of Sand[color=orange]man[/color], Mao[color=orange]man[/color], Sir Donald Brad[color=orange]man[/color], Hexuan[color=orange]man[/color], Huang Guang Chan-[color=orange]man[/color], Alien-[color=orange]man[/color], et-al [color=orange]men[/color].

Hope this elicited a smile…Peace El Tigre…

. . . and when we’ve had enough, the laohu bang will prowl your once quiet streets looking for errant mutts and their more errant owners.

HG

Kiss and make up, so that they feel guilty about doing something to piss you off. Complement her on how well her magnificent son talked sense into you. Tell 'em all your troubles, and end with “So when your dog tried to eat mine I just wanted to kill someone. Hope this won’t happen again.” And give 'em a little gift, apple pie or something. (I searched using Kazaa lite for old Barbara Woodhouse videos, to no avail.)

I remember seeing a ‘news’ article once about a guy who used to wrestle pitbulls. He used to wear chain mail and go for the balls.

If the intervention of the son on the Taiwanese side is not viewed by them as having been sufficient to enable them to walk their dogs as they see fit (including the possibility of attacks on others from time to time) then the matter is not resolved. If however the intervention appears a success from their side and they now feel free to walk their dogs unleashed down the alley with impunity, there exists the potential of more attacks. Nonetheless, your steadfast sticking to your principles, and failing to be intimidated will have impressed such a bunch of people whose response to this has been to send in the Tatooed Thug, and who by inference best understand the language of intimidation. Your best strategy is now to maintain (as they no doubt do) that you are the injured party, and investigate all the alternative remedies available to you. (Lay on sardonicism with trowel)

This is not a cultural issue. I find it hard to believe that any Taiwanese person would find it acceptable to be threatened with dogs. Does anyone think a Taiwanese person telling the truth would say “we find it acceptable for us and our families to be threatened with dogs and do nothing to protect ourselves” ?

Whilst your wife may have some use for interaction with the local residents, you do not. Your new-found status as the unreasonable crotchety foreigner may have its uses. Allow your wife to play the counterpart of conciliatory Taiwanese person. What would it benefit you to play that role ?

Dumb dog owners are a universal problem, or at least one in the nations I’ve visited. Too many of these owners think that just because they want a pet, everyone else in the world wants to hear it bark, have it jump and get its dirty paws on them, and step in its shit. That the people who Tiger is dealing with are too daft, or stubborn, to see the wrongs of their ways does not surprise me. (Okay, this is a bit of a ramble, but that’s always the danger when you forget to take your caffeine.)

And another thing, what’s with the wong, wong in Taiwan? I know dogs don’t actually go woof, woof, but they certainly don’t go wong, wong.

I have since last week a lab of 4 months. any suggestions? I’ ve been thinking to take him to a school or something. not to teach him English, but to be able to handle him better, now, and in the future when he gets big. :?

Keep the dog on a leash when outside (or at least when in my lane).

I already bought a second leash, don’t worry :smiley:
and for the moment he only licks his own balls

[quote=“Elvis”]I already bought a second leash, don’t worry :smiley:
and for the moment he only licks his own balls[/quote]

Are you expecting or hoping that he’ll eventually also lick your balls?

Tigerman, good thing you didn’t throw a cockroach at her or else you could’ve been in BIG trouble. :slight_smile:

[quote=“The China Post”] Throwing one cockroach costs man NT$500,000

2003/10/1

A Hsintien apartment dweller was ordered yesterday to pay NT$500,000 in damage for throwing a dead cockroach at his neighbor nearly two years ago. That roach, plus a verbal threat, caused the neighbor’s mother to suffer a nervous breakdown, ruled a Taipei district court judge.

In a written verdict, the judge held the threatening apartment resident, identified only as Chao, responsible for her “painful suffering” and set the damage at half a million dollars in local currency.

Chao and his neighbor, a computer system designer, live with their respective families on the fourth and third floor of an apartment building in the small city in Taipei County. They were at odds with each other, for Chao’s two boys often made too much noise at night.

One morning in October 2001, Chao opened his apartment door to find the dead insect that had dropped to the floor from a doorjamb. Suspecting that the house pest had been planted by the system designer, named Tseng in the verdict, Chao rushed down to the third floor and shouted obscenity. He called Tseng “a man without nuts.” Nuts mean testes in vulgar slang.

The commotion roused Tseng to appear behind the latticed steel door. Chao threw the dead roach in Tseng’s face, threatening to kill all of the latter’s family. “All other neighbors heard him on October 28, 2001,” the judge cited as evidence against Chao.

Months later, the old Mrs. Tseng, who lives with her son, began to show nervous breakdown symptoms. She was afraid of leaving home. She was treated.

“For all this,” the judge ruled, “the defendant is responsible and has to be assessed a punitive damage.”

Tseng sued Chao in March last year.[/quote]

Actually, the moral of the tale for everyone is that when faced with a similar situation then one locally accepted response is to threaten to sue your antagonist for big $$$ damages.

And either to wear a mask when throwing a dead cockroach or to throw a live one so the evidence scurries away.

:slight_smile: Tigerman! where do those thoughts come from.

They are a natural reaction to your most peculiar post, of course. I wondered why you would tell us all that your dog currently only licks his own balls. Isn’t that normal?