I'm Looking For A New Bike

OK, the Hartford (off-road) 200, maybe.

But SYM “wild wolf” (shudder)? That bike looks sooo cheap.

And those pseudo choppers? Pathetic! :snooty:

What’s pathetic about them? And they’re not chopped at all – they’re mini-cruisers. Mine leaves most of those syms and stuff in the dust, plus its the only one apart from a jacked-up dirt bike that doesn’t force me to curl up like a pretzel to ride it, plus it has a nice broad seat… suits my purposes just fine.

I have to admit, I have never ridden one of those horses.

Maybe I don’t like them because they are so darn heavy, and moving them just a little bit to create some parking space for my 50cc Kymco ride is always a pain in the butt.

:happybiker:

I will be buying new. I don’t like used bikes, too much trouble in the past.

But if worst comes to worst care to help…buddy? :wink:

[quote=“hannes”]OK, the Hartford (off-road) 200, maybe.

But SYM “wild wolf” (shudder)? That bike looks sooo cheap.

And those pseudo choppers? Pathetic! :snooty:[/quote]

I have one of the Syms, this one:

I bought it new just over two years ago, and I’ve done about 14k on it since then. I’ve had no serious problems, and generally been very happy with it.

It’s not exactly fast. I have the other bike for that :wink:

I went to check out that Hartford HD 200S today. With all the fees and financing, the total is about 85,000…yikes! Maybe I should look at the 150cc…used?

What’s pathetic about them? And they’re not chopped at all – they’re mini-cruisers. Mine leaves most of those syms and stuff in the dust, plus its the only one apart from a jacked-up dirt bike that doesn’t force me to curl up like a pretzel to ride it, plus it has a nice broad seat… suits my purposes just fine.[/quote]

ooh it’s pimpin isn’t it

I’m pretty set on buying a used Hartford 200HD, and I found a place that has it. Only problem is I don’t know how to shift gears on a motorcycle. Anyone want to teach me with their bike?

are you going alone or bringing a buddy when you buy?
take the bike to a thorough test ride before paying any money. the former owner will hopefully teach you all you need to know about the bike and the gear shifting - which is a bit unique. most bikes have the first gear down and all other up, passing the neutral between first and second again. as far as i know the HD has a rotating shift-system, means after the tallest gear follows the first again, without downshifting. kinda weired if you are used to the ‘normal’ system but after a few miles it will be ‘normal’ to you. you just have to remember in which gear you are. hopefully you have a rpm-meter; otherwise speed and sound of the engine will tell you.
check for oil-leaks around the engine and especially around the fork seals AFTER the ride, which should be at least for 20km to get the engine warm and let you check the ergonomics as well. if you will do many miles 2-up you better bring the girlfriend/wife along and check if it can accommodate the both of you - and if the rear shock can still handle it. the HD has a seam all across the seat that becomes quite uncomfortably for the pillion after a few miles - so i have been told. check if you can sit comfortably on the bike for a longer time, in traffic and on the go. you should be in a quite normal riding position, a bit upright but not too stretched forward. footpegs should not be too high - when you are longer in the legs it will become quite cramped.
check the wear of the tires (at least 4mm profile left), the chain (not too lose, not rusty, no dirt) and sprockets too - if they look like shark’s fins you are in for an early and costly replacement. check for scratches and bents - telltale marks of crashes. (on the exhaust, tank, 'bars ends, especially the steering lock - if that is worn out the bike has either been nicked or probably dropped in a crash)
other than that look for the overall appearance - if the bike looks and feels tired and worn it probably is. walk away from those, there are plenty of other around.

Thanks for those tips, they will come into use.

For the Hartfords, the 150’s gears cycle through downwards, while the 200’s is down for first and up for the rest.

My problem is always getting the first gear to stick without stalling the bike. Makes me feel foolish when testing it. Tips?

When I purchase the bike, I will surely have someone with me, then hopefully I have find some people who like to go riding and join their gang.

Here’s a pimpin’ bike:

I don’t know if I would use the word pimpin for that picture. If you said “fly” or “sweet” then I would agree.

[quote=“Frost”]My problem is always getting the first gear to stick without stalling the bike. Makes me feel foolish when testing it. Tips?[/quote]Reading things like this scares me. If this were a western country, my “tip” would be to take a rider training course before ever going out on a public road on your own. But as it isn’t, I’d suggest practicing for several hours in a car park, preferably with somebody more experienced there to help. I guess I could give you a few tips if you like – I’m a safe rider though not technically very amazing. Or if MJB, Ironman or someone like that has time their help would be better.

too bad dangermouse isn’t on the island anymore. hope he will come back…
we used to organize a few well-received trainings for all-level riders, total beginners and more advanced.
if anybody reading this and thinking ‘hey, i used to be an instructor!’ that would be great and we could start organizing a few new rounds of rider’s training. would be cool.

No need to worry about me. I am a very safe driver. I’m also not stupid. I have been riding here for a while now, just the gear thing screws me up. I plan the practice in a deserted area and not learn as I go. I don’t want to die or get injured. I do like to teach myself or have a friend help, but I would rather not go to a “training school” here just to learn how to pass a test. Almost 3 years here now and not 1 accident.

No need to worry about me. I am a very safe driver. I’m also not stupid. I have been riding here for a while now, just the gear thing screws me up. I plan the practice in a deserted area and not learn as I go. I don’t want to die or get injured. I do like to teach myself or have a friend help, but I would rather not go to a “training school” here just to learn how to pass a test. Almost 3 years here now and not 1 accident.[/quote]That’s a very good record. Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. I was actually talking about the physical stuff concerning switching from an auto scooter to a motorbike – the gear changing and clutch use. I think it takes a few hours to get a good basic feel for that, and in my opinion it would be best if people had access to good instruction and a safe place to practice.

Anyway, I know of a reasonably safe place to practice and maybe a motorbike you could practice on. As I said, I’d be happy to give you a couple of tips, though I’m by no means the most qualified Forumosan.

Any tips is better than none. I’m interested in meeting more of the bikers anyways!