I'm Loving This Song Today

John Suming’s first all Mandarin album

[quote]You can’t stop us on the road to freedom.
You can’t keep us, 'cause our eyes can see
Men with insight, men in granite,
Knights in armor bent on chivalry.[/quote]

[quote]If I ventured in the slipstream,
Between the viaducts of your dream,
Where immobile steel rims crack
And the ditch in the back roads stop,
Could you find me?[/quote]

Sounds like a cross between Badly Drawn Boy and Supergrass. How many members is it they have now? 8 or something?

I’m an old fart, so I don’t know. I went off on a tangent about the word diabolo with my elementary-school-aged students and wound up showing them this YouTube video of a kid doing tricks with a diabolo:

The song was playing in the background. I found it strangely charming, so after I got off work, I went to the diabolo video, listened to the song, and googled some of the lyrics, and that led me to Wikipedia and to YouTube.

But in my view, this is what was cool about the whole thing:

The original video that I was showing was from a site called pond5.com. It was a video of some elementary-school-aged boys playing with yo-yos. I thought these yo-yos looked like smaller versions of diabolo yo-yos, and I said as much. My students said that the smaller yo-yos were not diabolo yo-yos, and that led me to the YouTube video. I don’t know, probably my students were right and I was wrong.

But here’s the good part. The boys in the video looked as if they might be Chinese, and I asked the children what nationality the boys were. Some kids said they didn’t know, but some kids said something in Chinese that I didn’t understand, so asked them what it meant, and some of them said “earth people.” I thought that I might have misunderstood them, but they repeated “earth people.” Then one of the girls smiled and gestured at herself and some of the other students in the classroom and said, “We are earth people.”

There may be hope for us yet.

And I like the song.

‘Nevertheless’ by Brian Jonestown Massacre. It sounds modern and 90s at the same time. Fairly lushhhh.

Loving this song, or rather, these songs:

[quote]Sounds of the city poundin’ in my brain,
While another day goes down the drain.

In the shelter of her arms everything’s okay.
She talks, and the world goes slippin’ away.
And I know the reason I can still go on,
When every other reason is gone.[/quote]–Allen Reynolds

[quote]There’s people standing round
Who’ll screw you in the ground.
They’ll fill you in with all their sins.
You’ll see.[/quote]–George Harrison

[quote]Broke off from my work the other day.
I spent the evening thinking about
All the blood that flowed away,
Across the ocean to the second chance.[/quote]–Charlie and Craig Reid, “Letter from America”

I haven’t seen this flick, but I like this version of the song.

I’m not sure I understand this song, and it’s not an entirely happy song, but I like it for some reason or another.

French lyrics here: brassens-cahierdechanson.fr/ … coeur.html

Good translation here: halleyscomment.blogspot.tw/2003/ … heart.html

[quote]With a little love and some tenderness,
We’ll walk upon the water,
We’ll rise above this mess.[/quote]

I do love this song but it has been played to death. This is very well done ( from "It’s a wonderful life’) and confirms that viewpoint :slight_smile:

I like that song, too, but that clip is funny.

Well, not this but these songs:

1 Like

2 Likes