I'm not Taiwanese but will get a resident visa soon. I want to be an English teacher here in Taiwan

Should I start college here all over again with a teaching course?

Where are you from? They only usually accept those holding passports from English speaking countries.

I’m from the Philippines. I’ll be married to a Taiwanese in April.

I heard some inklings about filipinos being given work permits to teach English but I’m less knowledgeable about that.

What I do know is that when you are married and receive a JFRV/Marriage ARC, then you should have open work privileges and thus be allowed to work. You won’t need to get a new degree.

3 Likes

You might want to contact them:
https://tfetp.epa.ntnu.edu.tw/en/tfetp/web/mission_and_vision

1 Like

Well, that’s good news! Thank you for the info. I’m worried sick thinking working in a factory would be my last resort. I’m not belittling factories though. It’s just that teaching is my passion.

You should, they suck and they treat OFWs poorly.

3 Likes

Wow, this is amazing! Thank you so much!!!

Check out the millions of Facebook pages about teaching English in Taiwan. It’s full of people from the Philippines, willing to work for peanuts. If your ability is better than the average, you may get lucky.

1 Like

Well, I can’t deny that 'cause I’m still engaged in one right now. But so happy this is my last month with them. I already handed them my resignation.

Happy for you.

1 Like

Thank you. I just tried this forum coz I can see that people share their thoughts here enthusiastically.

I don’t really have any leads on any English teaching jobs (sorry), but seriously, good luck with getting your marriage papers sorted out. Honestly, it was such a pain to do. Hope you’re ready to spend 2-3 months running around diff. government offices and waiting for docs :smiling_face_with_tear:

Sure. And they’re pretty prompt.

Just remember, an asian face is mostly not what schools are looking for in an English teacher. They want a blond, blue-eyed American woman. That’s a goldmine.

i know, right! that’s what my friends say… 2-3 months. But that’s okay, i’ll just enjoy my vacation in the phils with my family. :heart:

1 Like

yeah, i noticed that. And most of them are looking for native english speakers. really sad for asians. :pensive:

To be frank, most “native speakers” can hardly utter an intelligible sentence.
But being black or asian is a severe handicap, even for native speakers.

It’s just that teaching is my passion.

This is key. If you really like teaching, you can do a good job as a teacher and over time you’ll develop a successful career.

Maybe at the beginning it would be difficult to land a good job as an English teacher, not being the white guy with the right passport schools and parents like, but if you’re a good teacher you’ll create a good resume and a good reputation.

Good luck.

1 Like

While being in lighter skin color helps, the “official” rule is you are coming from a country that has English as the official language.
This could be that you are a Quebecan that spoke French, but with Canada passport, or a Boer that spoke Afrikaans, but with South African passport.

Congratulations. Are you going on a honeymoon?