"I'm sick! Have I got Covid-19?!?! What should I do?!" (Hypothetically)

That reminds me of the State Worker’s Compensation executive director (I think in Kansas) who “ruptured” a couple discs when he lifted his briefcase out of the trunk of his car … and promptly filed for like a US$40k settlement (and won, too). I think they had a bit of worker’s comp reform after that one.

I hope somebody has already pointed out the obvious here. First thing, obviously, is to blame Trump. I think that goes without saying in these trying times.

3 Likes

Interesting - thanks all for the feedback. Does anyone know if the 1922 number has English as well?

From all of this, I take it that, if someone who hasn’t travelled abroad has a normal “not bother with the hospital” level of illness - typical cold or flu - then they shouldn’t go to the hospital, or seek testing? Testing is still reserved for people likely to be in a chain of transmission?

My hope with this is that, if I caught a cold, I’d be able to go to a nearby testing station and have it confirmed one way or the other, for both my own peace of mind and to know how much I need to be careful about making someone else sick. (For example, if I had a cold, I’d stay home from work but still go buy groceries; but obviously I wouldn’t do that with Covid-19). But from what I’m reading here, I guess “casual” testing isn’t really an option, and it’s going to be combined with a more intense hospital visit.

Although @slawa, it looks like your approach was different: so you had a cold, and simply went to the nearest big hospital? Or were you able to find information about a closer doctor who could help? What happened when you were at the doctor’s or hospital?

Had a cough, headache but no fever. I had the new flu vaccine against 4 strains a week earlier. Went to my usual doctor. He diagnosed Rhinovirus.
Everything went as usual, no differences to times before flying aids. Besides me taking some precautions.

My coworkers were concerned that I was coughing. Manager proposed to work from home.

4 Likes

I don’t like you because I sense a Trump fan, but I seriously wish you best of luck and fast healing. Oh wait, actually I love you, thanks for the “spinning winds” entertainment. Damn, why isn’t the world black and white, why is it so hard to make up one’s mind whether to like a Forumosa poster or not?

OK seriously: that spine stuff sounds really like PITA. I wish you recover well and fast. Don’t get that flying Wuhan AIDS please, this place would be a lot drearier without you.

2 Likes

:open_mouth:
I didn’t know you are such old…

3 Likes

Noice.

3 Likes

That’s brilliant, thank you.

A bit. I have disc issues every few years, this was the first time it happened to two discs at the same time and I wasn’t able to stand up. Interestingly, the last time I had to go to hospital (2017) I wasn’t feeling as hurt as this time and I was able to go there myself, but it took MUCH longer for the pain to go away.

Don’t worry, if I do get it I’ll mention to the CDC that I’ve been in personal & intimate contact with every forum member. If I go down, we go down together :hearts:

5 Likes

True. It’s important to wear the mask no matter what. I hear this a lot outside Taiwan: wearing masks is useless unless you got the virus. But it’s possible you won’t know you have it.

2 Likes

I have been coughing for about a week. I woke up yesterday with terrible chest pains and was vomiting. I went to the hospital and was immediately given a chest x-ray. The doctor told me I just have a bad cold.

I’m relieved that I don’t have the Coronavirus. And I’m so glad that Taiwan is taking this so seriously.

The hospitals seem to be running even more efficiently than normal. I was in and out in about half an hour.

4 Likes

I mean, congratulations, and I hope you feel better soon, but … how do they know? The symptoms for this are rather varied; vomiting’s not common, but it does happen.

1 Like

The CT scan seems to have been established as the number one indication of coronavirus. If he didn’t have whatever it is telltale signs they’re looking for, they’ve probably deemed it safe to rule out coronavirus.

1 Like

I know that’s what China (temporarily?) adopted a while back, but I’m still confused. Surely the many people who are asymptomatic, or only with mild cases, don’t register on the CT scan - after all, for many people, very little is wrong with them, but they’re still spreading the virus. Good for them, of course, but it doesn’t reduce community risk.

As best I can tell the CT scan makes sense as a tool for determining what kind of medical treatment is necessary, but I’m not sure how it helps determine who may be an asymptomatic carrier.

3 Likes

I think excepting testing everyone this simply can’t be done. They’re probably saving those sorts of measures in the event of a SK-level outbreak here.

I don’t know. Who can say. Whatever @Caspian has sounds nasty, though. I imagine he’ll be staying home through it. Hopefully he has been responsible about wearing a mask otherwise.

1 Like

You probably spend too much time hunched over your meme collection.

Totally worth it, though

1 Like

Did you know that the common cold is a type of coronavirus? Not COVID-19, but it’s still coronavirus.

Not exactly - a couple of coronaviruses are among the many viruses that cause the common cold. Rhinoviruses cause 10-40%; coronaviruses around 20%.

They should run a blood test. Not great if they didn’t.

2 Likes

They don’t want to find it among the general population, only those who recently traveled.

1 Like