"I'm sick! Have I got Covid-19?!?! What should I do?!" (Hypothetically)

If you leave your door open for them to get out.

I posted that (in a wildfire context) on BITOG (US -based motor oil geek site) and it got Gitmo-ed.

I suppose the faintly implied anti-Fascism was unacceptable.

Maybe a cat flap?

The x-rays can help to determine if the lungs affected by something like pneumonia but they won’t tell you if you have a virus and which one. cc @Hanna

So, what happens if the test kits don’t work well? A false-negative means an infected person isn’t quarantined and free to continue spreading the virus, and also doesn’t seek treatment.

Here is a story about “bad” kits shipped from China to Spain

1 Like

The saddest part is that those kits were bought, paid for dearly, from a supplier so obscure that China did not have it on its official list of reliable providers. Takes someone with corrupt and very callous to outdo China in terms of corruption.

1 Like

Bumping because it seems relevant again: it makes sense to be sure you’ve got stuff at home to deal with a mild case of COVID. A couple of recent news articles discussing what to do ahead of time, and during:

1 Like

From accounts of people who have had it: the biggest problem you’re likely to face is a very sore throat, making it painful to eat (and you will most likely lose your appetite in any case).

Probably a good idea, then, to get something soup-like (stock cubes/powder at the minimum). I would also suggest a jar of coconut oil, which has a not-unpleasant taste and delivers a lot of calories, even by the spoonful.

3 Likes

Auntie Peng already has:

1. Two reliable thermometers, one old school made of glass, one electronic.

2. An oxymeter. The real stuff.

3. Two blood pressure machines. One is backup.

Two bottles and one pack of mineral/vitamin enriched fluid replenishment to avoid dehydration.

SpO2 meter? yeah, got one of these for my mum. They’re <NT$1000 off shopee or whatever. Frankly, the chances of you needing one if you’re under 90 with a BMI less than 40 are pretty remote, but I guess they’re nice to have around for peace of mind.

Ah, I need to look for one of those. I checked a local drug store and they had one over $3,000, and that price wasn’t worth it for me.

Main use case: persuading me and/or my wife that, actually, no, we don’t need to panic.

I got it and boxes of N95s for my brother who is a doctor. In the old country they are seeing over 5000 cases a day.

Does anyone have an answer to this yet? I have 3423 pets that need to be fed 345434 times a day. And lights turned on/off for my beardie. I’m scared af of getting it just because of this :pleading_face:

My current plan is to hide in my apartment so as to avoid potential contact with anyone else so as to avoid being sent to a government quarantine facility for whoknowshowlong

3 Likes

It can’t just be us thinking this too. Since, numbers are “low” despite two outbreaks and surgical mask not protecting us. Just like how the nurse supposedly didn’t know she had to be tested lol.

Same here. This might actually be the intent of government policy: make people afraid of quarantine so that they lock themselves in their homes. I don’t think they care that this will result in massive under-reporting of cases. A very similar strategy was used in the UK (albeit with somewhat different pressures) … which ultimately resulted in an epidemic of mental illness.

I’m curious to know what’s happening to pets when they haul people off en masse to the camps. There are about 3m pets in Taiwan, so that would suggest perhaps a third to a fifth of households have a pet. Supposedly, there were some “care facilities” set up for this purpose, but it’s funny how the issue isn’t mentioned in public discussion anymore.

1 Like

2 Likes

But they aren’t actually letting people stay at home?

It is missing:

Do not take public transportation to get to the doctor/hospital.

This is funny because there’s a severe lack of space in Taiwan. Many families live in places that dont have seperate bathrooms

2 Likes