Importing a knife -- any restrictions?

Googling told me two seperate things – that knives can’t be imported, and one where they weren’t on the list of prohibited items.

Now – by knife, it isn’t a chef’s knife. It is a knife knife. A friend of mine in Ukraine is sending me one captured from a Russian position in Kherson for helping out with a fundraiser.

Will that parcel get stopped at the old customs? Or are knife imports allowed?

Do you know if this knife can be linked to any war crimes or has it been cleared that it’s not needed for evidence? Clothing, shrapnel, etc is normally ok but weapons can be a bit complicated especially if it was taken of a person.

It is one that was just in an abandoned Russian building in Kherson found after the liberation. It wasn’t one prised from the cold, dead hands of a corpse. Just left behind in a makeshift barracks when they fled.

Controlling Guns, Ammunition and Knives Act - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan).

Article 4
Firearms, ammunition and knives hereinafter used in this Act are defined as follows: 3. Knives: samurai swords, stick knives, double knives, brass knuckles, sobjects or bullets with lethal force.teel (iron) whips, thrusters, daggers (see the attachments), and other lethal knives not for legitimate use and having been officially banned by the national competent authority.

Article 6
The types of knives listed in subparagraph 3, paragraph 1, Article 4 may not be manufactured, sold, transported, transferred, rent, lent, and possessed without the approval of competent authorities.

I tried to ship a kitchen knife from Taiwan through Chunghwa post. Found out ( there was even a poster) they won’t ship knives at all. They told me to use fedex or DHL. If they won’t send it, maybe they won’t accept it either? Even though it may be legal to possess it, you still might not be able to get it shipped here if you’re receiving through Chunghwa post

Thanks for the help–I won’t risk having it sent as it doesn’t seem like it’d make it.

This sounds like another case of “your mileage may vary” based on who’s behind the counter (though it’s interesting it was on a poster too?!). I sent quite a few Kinmen Maestro Wu knives when I first moved here through Chunghwa Post to the US (pocket knives, chefs knives, bread knives. No cleavers or the ones that are basically swords though), and I certainly had to list that there was a knife inside, per international shipping requirements. No one gave me trouble and everyone got their shipments.

That being said, it sounds like OP is looking to receive what can easily be classified as a weapon. A chef’s knife can easily be used as a weapon, but the intended purpose is still kitchen use, which may be why I was able to send them through the mail.

The knife I was trying to ship was a maestro wu knife to the USA. the guy behind the counter asked me what kind of knife it was and I said a kitchen knife. He then told me that knives are categorically unable to be shipped through Chunghwa post. Perhaps because I declared it as a knife in the paperwork in Chinese, that’s why he noticed. If you write it in English it might go through. The sign at the post office said that there would be a fine if found out that you shipped any prohibited items. (edit) I found the exact poster (below). #9

1 Like