Importing into Taiwan

I am Canadian and my husband is Taiwanese. We want to start a business and import goods into Taiwan. I’m looking for advice and information so I can understand how this all works. In English, so I have a good understanding. I understand my husband get the import license, but what about taxes? Do we pay this on immediate arrival of our goods at the port?? How much is taxed? Is there a website for me ( in English ) that explains, what is taxable and how much? I know my husband can explain this to me, but I also want to hear from others. Thanks

Yes. Governments don’t give credit.

Generally a set percentage of the FOB price of goods. FOB is the total invoice value plus any shipping and insurance. For example, on a US$200 invoice plus US$200 shipping you will pay tax as a percentage of US$400. Also remember you will pay 5% sales tax and a handling charge. Now you realise why import goods are so expensive, huh? Hint: the value your supplier notes on the invoice is not necessarily what you really paid.

web.customs.gov.tw/rate/rate/esearch.asp

I recommend you have an agent collect any goods from the airport - the inspection, payment and collection process is extremely and intentionally difficult for individuals.

Contact a good freight forwarder. I use NAC which is run by a forumosan.

\When applying for the impor license, IE the proprietorship or how yoiu choose to do it, add the wholesale permit of the products you want to import onto the business registration. Actually add as many areas to the registration as you can think of.

1 Like

Where are you importing from? You can bring smallish quantities in from China regularly through the back door. My wife does it all the time. Just put it down as personal effects.

:bow:

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Where are you importing from? You can bring smallish quantities in from China regularly through the back door. My wife does it all the time. Just put it down as personal effects.

:bow:[/quote]
I’ve heard of this, but I’d be too afraid the condom would burst.

Sandman, you are being silly. You don’t cary it yourself they have little poor people who bring it in for you. Usually old ladies.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Where are you importing from? You can bring smallish quantities in from China regularly through the back door. My wife does it all the time. Just put it down as personal effects.

:bow:[/quote]

Are you bringing in 20 foot containers? Or shipping crates?

It would be shipping crates.