Importing meat (legally) by air travel

Hello,

there are this new laws, new sniffing dogs, new fines and so on for bringing fruits/plants/meat into Taiwan.

Not that I was ever controlled, but I wonder if there’s actually a way to legally import some smoked ham and sausages here? I would bring them from the developed world (lets say Japan, Germany, France).

Anyone knows what procedures to do for this?
There must be a way, otherwise I couldn’t explain how Jasons & Co always got those (too expensive) meat here.

Its a bit weird to see this stinky meat everywhere at the wet markets here but they’d forbid high standard, highly controlled meat from Western Europe.

Heh. That’s the way. And that’s the way it’ll be for you too. Unless you just take your chances – I just got three vacuum-packed boudin noirs from southwestern France, smuggled in shamelessly. They were made last Thursday. God knows how much they’d cost in a shop here.

Heh. That’s the way. And that’s the way it’ll be for you too. Unless you just take your chances – I just got three vacuum-packed boudin noirs from southwestern France, smuggled in shamelessly. They were made last Thursday. God knows how much they’d cost in a shop here.[/quote]

I have a stock of tasty standard Kuehne red cabbage (Rotkohl) smuggled from Germany.
It’d cost me 200 NT at Jasons (4.7 Euro). Back home its in the shelf for 0.68 Euro (28.56 NT).
The new law probably makes it forbidden (its not fresh but still).

Same for gherkins, but luckily Carrefour seems to have a big stock of them (branded Carrefour but actually they are the same as the french Amora brand) which are much less expensive.
The problem is my gherkins consumption is too high :slight_smile:

I don’t want to imagine how much this would have cost me (both fine wise or buying inside Taiwan):
flickr.com/photos/mrtang/193289356/
flickr.com/photos/mrtang/329663494/

But its so tasty it might even worth to go to prison for it. :slight_smile:

… still searching a legal way for the meat.

Be very careful…even if vacuum packed. Were it not for some orange peels in my son’s coat that distracted the dog, I would have been picked up for something similar. (a brebis)

Canned veggies and fruits and meats are not illegal to import … cured as in raw, salted is illegal, fresh veggies and fruits are too …
If you can produce a veterinary form from any country that states the kind of raw meat and if it’s say not on the no-go list you can always pass through custom quarantine department to get it cleared for import … it will cost you.

No-go is raw or cured beef from some European countries, Japan and others … MAD cow problem …

It might not be possible for private citizens without an import license tho …

BTW, buy red cabbage in the market here and make your own … that’s what I do …

Goddamn furriners: what’s wrong with white rice and deep fried pig’s intestine? gotta have your own special comfort foods, hey? isn’t Taiwan GOOD ENOUGH for you?

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Canned veggies and fruits and meats are not illegal to import … cured as in raw, salted is illegal, fresh veggies and fruits are too …
[/quote]
This is a bit weird. Given that anyone could just find a local factory that can produce cans or buy a machine that can put stuff into a can.

There’s a lot of local producers where I’m from that could easily put anything in a vacuum sealed can.
Then print a pretty label on it with a Epson Stylus Ink Printer … :slight_smile:
i.e. Cassoulet, Pates de Canard (duck paste), etc:

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]
If you can produce a veterinary form from any country that states the kind of raw meat and if it’s say not on the no-go list you can always pass through custom quarantine department to get it cleared for import … it will cost you.[/quote]
Veterinary forms in Germany are german only… so they would probably just give me the no-can-do look :slight_smile:

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]
No-go is raw or cured beef from some European countries, Japan and others … MAD cow problem …
It might not be possible for private citizens without an import license tho …[/quote]
I don’t have contact with any cattle in Taiwan (actually I never saw a cow here) and ham is made from pigs so the mad cow is really not a issue. Neither does the stuff I “import” have bones.
Even if you have a importer certificate it would remain illegal to import fresh meat. so we’re back in the same square…

No, it’s not … how do you think steaks get to the supermarket … licensed companies can import meat from selected countries …
Salami from Australia is perfectly legal …

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]No, it’s not … how do you think steaks get to the supermarket … licensed companies can import meat from selected countries …
Salami from Australia is perfectly legal …[/quote]
Any idea how to get licensed then? I already see “Forumosa, Foods Inc” coming up with all of us being shareholders… :slight_smile:

I would do ANYTHING on the Purity Test if I could only import Mexican chorizo. Well, almost anything.

Shirley, there must be a buey!

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]No, it’s not … how do you think steaks get to the supermarket … licensed companies can import meat from selected countries …

They tax the hell out of imported stuff to keep local farmers happy (I am guessing) so it comes down to demand and economies of scale I guess, plus the import license probably has some strings attached.

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]No, it’s not … how do you think steaks get to the supermarket … licensed companies can import meat from selected countries …

They tax the hell out of imported stuff to keep local farmers happy (I am guessing) so it comes down to demand and economies of scale I guess, plus the import license probably has some strings attached.[/quote]

You are guessing. I’m guessing Jason’s & Co make all profit and pay very few import taxes on it.
Its not just about the economies. Its about having it or not having it at all. :slight_smile:

Then why is cheese so expensive or beef compared to other countries, of course it’s the tax.

Its not. Otherwise how you explain that a Steakhouse in Hsinchu can sell me a 12 oz (340g) Steak for 300 NT including the cooking and the buffet, whereas I pay 600 NT for it in Jasons (depending how “special” it is).

Taiwan is WTO member since a while now, so most of those stupid protective taxes are gone.
See also usmef.org/TradeLibrary/files … ariff1.pdf
Ham is 15% according to it.

Another example. You can buy 200g “President” Brie (cheese) in Jasons.
It will cost you 300 NT (I know it cause I bought it).

In France, this will cost you 1.86 Euros (20% sales tax included), if you deduct the sales tax is 1.49
See houra.fr/redirect/?t=fiche_a … ud=1274957

1.49 = 63 NT! (Current TWD/Euro spot rate = 42.2900). I payed almost 5 times more then in France.
For sure its a rip off at Jasons and they just do it cause they have very little competition.
its NOT about tax.

Get the Brie in Costco, a whole 1kg cheese is something like NT$600 there, unless it’s gone up lately and if I remember right…
Locally made ham is cheap (in comparison) and CitySuper has some pretty decent stuff for NT$60 per 100g. Sure, it’s not the kind of stuff you’ve linked to, but it’s pretty tasty imho.

If some of you guys get together and set up a store selling european foods as mentioned for not more then twice the home country price, word will get around and it could be a decent biz? You wont need fancy decor and what not. The price will sell the goods !!!

Marketing 101