Importing Pets into Taiwan (Paperwork, Quarantine, etc.)

brightful, our vet was familiar with the process and even had the necessary forms. Regardless, I believe we sent ours to Kansas:

vet.k-state.edu/depts/dmp/se … /index.htm

Best of luck to you. The process seems daunting but we (and our cat) survived! This forum was incredibly helpful.[/quote]

You also need a vet who is accredited by the USDA or something to do the initial tests. You vet (who will have an accrediation number you can check to make sure s/he is legit and update) will know where to send it…and will send it. You do not send it yourself, they take the blood at the vet then send it themselves.

You mean Jack? (the vet there). If so, he’s super great.

I plan on bringing a rabbit in with me. I’ve been reading through all the posts about cats and dogs, and the process seems intense. According to this http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/tw_ra_hc.pdf , it LOOKS like I will just have to get him microchipped and checked out by a USDA approved vet for parasites 15 days before arrival. But looks can be deceiving. Am I really exempt from all the blood tests, etc? I am also weary of them saying “The rabbit(s) shall be subjected to at least fifteen days pre-export quarantine in raising place or in quarantine premises which have been approved by USD.” Does this just mean he has to have been living with me in a clean place for at least 15 days? If anyone has any advice to offer on this I’d greatly appreciate it.

I was afraid this was true. I was hoping to bring my pup along on my trip to Taipei. I was under the impression I was mistaken when I read it can take 3 weeks to get your pet out of quarantine? Is there any way to get around this by having your pet inspected and tested before you leave? My dog is less than 20 pounds and my trip is going to be for two weeks, I think this is unreasonable.

Unless the process has recently changed, there is no way around the quarantine. This is even with inspections and tests prior to departure. In fact, be sure you have all the necessary tests done and paperwork completed BEFORE you depart. It’s quite a hassle, let alone expensive. I was concerned our cat wouldn’t survive the flight but she did. If anything, I expect they will be more strict now because several cases of rabies appeared not long ago. Good luck.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I come from France and I plan to move to Taiwan where many members of my family already live.

I have small dogs that I want to take.
Can someone confirm that the quarantine rules have changed (since 2017.05.05) ? Is the legal time now 7 days (not 21) ?

I found this on the “BAPHIQ” website :
“Article 14
In response to application submitted pursuant to Article 13, the animal quarantine authority will issue the Import Veterinary Certificate, but only after confirming that the requirements in Articles 10 and 12 are met, and the dog/cat gives no cause for suspicion of notifiable animal infectious diseases after being detained for seven days in a post-entry quarantine facility.”

And on NTUVH website :
tw

Thanks a lot in advance !
Have a nice day.
Bilitis

@Sanzo92 Salut! I also saw that information and am wondering the same thing! Were you able to get the answer?

@Siegfried not yet.
But, on another topic, a member posted this :

@Sanzo92 That’s good news. Good luck with your move! I just got my dog’s rabies antibody titer test done. Now he can move to Taiwan after 180 days.

@Siegfried Good luck too !
Have you done the rabies antibody titer test at the same time as vaccination? Or is there a delay between the two?

@Sanzo92 There are two different requirements, as I understand it. I’m not an expert though. This is just from my reading of the rules.

The first requirement is a titre test showing rabies antibodies in your dogs above a certain level, from a sample taken 180 days to one year before the date of importation. The titre must be done by a lab approved by the Taiwan authorities. This is the one you have to plan for way in advance. If your dogs already have up-to-date rabies vaccinations, they will already have rabies antibodies in their bodies. So you can just do the titre. (That’s what happened in my case.) If the dogs have not been vaccinated for rabies or their inoculations are out of date, they will need rabies shots to develop antibodies before the titre test sample is taken. I understand from my vet that this takes around one month. So in total it would take up to seven months before you can import the dogs.

The second requirement is a rabies vaccination one month to one year before importation. Only certain types of rabies vaccines are allowed so read the rules and consult your vet on which vaccine to use. (My dog was vaccinated in October with an accepted vaccine so he will be okay if we move there before October.)

@Siegfried Thanks a lot for this precious information !!!

Yeah, I did see on the BAPHIQ that it’s been reduced to seven days now:

https://www.baphiq.gov.tw/files/web_articles_files/baphiq/16487/16409.pdf

For those who have brought cats to Taiwan, did you travel with your cat in-cabin or did you put them in cargo? Which airline did you fly? How was the experience?

I’m applying for an import license for my dog now and BAPHIQ confirmed that the quarantine period is now seven days.

I have all the paperwork ready from the Vet’s office and now would like to apply for an import permit so that we can reserve a space at the Taipei University Boarding Facility since tickets are booked and we are moving on March 14th; however, the online application asks for the address that the pet will live at in Taipei. I do not know where we are going to live, my husband is going ahead of my and our dog’s move to find a place, but that won’t be until December. Did anyone else run into this problem? and how did you solve it? Originally I thought we could get around it by emailing the form they had on the website which didn’t have the same requirement, but BAPHIQ rejected it and pointed me to the web application.

If you are coming over with dogs you should have a place(even if temp) sorted out before getting on the plane. It’s not sure you will be able to find somerhing during the 7 days he’s in quarantine.

Also, did I read this correctly, March 14 ? Why are you filing the documents now ?

As I explained in my post we are trying to file now so that we can assure that we will have a spot at the kennel in Taipei for our dog.

We will have a permanent place before me and the dog arrive, but I won’t know the address until December. I don’t want to wait until December to get our spot at the kennel as reports above mention they fill up quickly.

1 Like

My dog and I just moved here a month ago and we had the same issue. BAPHIQ were kind enough to book the space at the quarantine center first and wait for me to send the address later.

Thanks for your helpful reply. How did you make the request for a quarantine space? Did you submit the application and just leave the address blank?

I emailed BAPHIQ first to explain the situation, and they replied the next day asking me to fill out the form without the address. The email address is hc04@mail.hcbaphiq.gov.tw. They are helpful and responsive. I was very impressed.