Importing Pets into Taiwan (Paperwork, Quarantine, etc.)

Thank you so much for your help. I emailed and they approved me submitting without the address, so the last hurdle for our move has been cleared.

Just making sure you are aware, the vet office/pet quarantine at the airport is not open 24/7. So, when you book the tickets make sure you land at a time it is open, otherwise your doggie needs to wait at the baggage collection until the office opens.

You pick up your dog on arrival at the same place where you collect bags and the office is in that area

Oh and also there is only one van trip a day to National Taiwan University Veterinary Hospital quarantine center af 1 pm. So if you are not able to arrive and clear customs before 1 pm, the dog has to wait at the airport in its crate until the following day. If your dog is healthy you must use the government van at 1 pm. They will only let you arrange your own transport (and a quarantine officer to accompany the dog) if your dog is ill or dangerous to people.

Yikes, that is super inhuman. How would they like being stuck without using the bathroom for that period of time after an international flight.

I really wish we didn’t have to make our dog go through this, but the move to Taiwan is not really optional because of my husbands job.

Where are you moving from? Hope you can arrive before mid-morning. The NTU quarantine center holds the dogs in cages (not in dog runs) and there is no outdoor exercise area. But the people there seem competent. If your dog is healthy and well adjusted it will be fine!

My two dogs when they were there were not held in cages. They at first shared a small closed space(dog run), but were moved after a day to their own spaces as they were arguing too much about who gets to eat first.

One of my dogs is big, and one is small but active. I did see some poodles in cages, so I guess active and big dogs get their own dog runs and dogs like poodles get put in cages.

There is no outdoors, but you can visit them each day for 1h and play with them in a long but narrow room.

The people there are competent, so they will be fine

i must be mistaken. I did not see all the facilities and may have jumped to the wrong conclusion. Thanks for clarifying.

We are moving from the midwest USA. Unfortunately, the only non-stop flight arrives at 5:00 am in the morning, so I knew we would have to wait for the office to open, but I didn’t know it would be 8 hours before our dog would be transported to the quarantine location. I don’t trust flights with layovers as a lot can happen to animals in the transfer process so I think we will stick with the non-stop flight.

Does anyone have experience whether there are different rules for pets that are originally from Taiwan, and only leave Taiwan for a certain time?

Eg. if one wanted to take their Taiwanese (chipped, vaccined) cat to Europe for a few weeks, then return with the cat to Taiwan? Would the same rules apply as to European born/raised cats?

Some info in Chinese

Thanks a lot, @tando. This confirms that there seems to be some way to travel abroad with Taiwanese pets.

I found this leaflet specifically mentioning the case of travel from Taiwan and back: https://www.baphiq.gov.tw/public/Attachment/81101419770.pdf
Notes: the first and second page should be interchanged, and it seems to be an ancient document from 2008 (according to PDF creation date).

This leaflet mentions that as long as traveling from Taiwan directly to a country that is considered are “rabies free” and directly back, it’s a bit easier to take a pet with you. Also, it lists telephone numbers where to check for details - I will do that when I get into the situation.

The current information about which countries are considered “rabies free” seems a bit harder to get, at least I did not find an comprehensive and up to date list so far. The closest is this “list”, which actually is only a lot of unsorted news on what countries got added or deleted for which disease: https://www.baphiq.gov.tw/en/view.php?catid=11602 . As of today 2019/01/09, this “list” seems to only mention Estonia, Guam and Singapore.

In the Chinese section there seems to be more, in the document https://www.baphiq.gov.tw/files/web_articles_files/baphiq/13028/20107.pdf is a list from 2018/04/19. I tried to google translate:

• Japan
  • Singapore
  • Australia
  • Malaysia
  • United Kingdom
  • Sweden
  • Iceland
  • Norway (except Svalbard Islands)
  • Estonia
  • Hawaii and Guam, USA

PS: Of course in general it would be better not to travel with pets, especially if they would need to be carried in the cargo hold not the cabin. FYR, for flying to Europe the only direct flights I found that allow cats and dogs in the cabin is KLM to Amsterdam. China Airlines for example offers direct flights to Frankfurt, but only allows pets in the cargo hold. Also, they don’t allow at all certain races with short noses (like persian cats) on long flights due to possible breathing problems.

Maybe this page?

https://www.baphiq.gov.tw/view.php?catid=13028

Hi,

I just found out that the NATIONAL TAIWAN UNIVERSITY VETERINARY HOSPITAL is no longer a quarantine premises for post-entry quarantine for dog/cat since 1 January 2019.

• Does anyone have an experience with the quarantine center in Taichung?
  • My plane arrives in Taipei, how is the transfer to Taichung?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Sanzo92

So, Taichung quarantine center answer me that they don’t accept to put my 3 chihuahuas in same cage. That’s deal breaker.

• Does anyone have an experience with the quarantine center in Pingtung?
  • Does anyone have an experience with the “Animal and plant Quarantine Center”? Is it in Taoyuan Airport?

Thanks

Some updates to this thread from a recent dog imported from USA

Everything on this thread was really helpful with being able to complete the import of my dog in March 2019, so I wanted to update this thread with my recent experience so that I could give back to the community.

IF YOU ARE IMPORTING YOUR DOG FROM THE USA:

As stated above, this process should be viewed in 4 parts: 1) Getting your Pet Import Permit Application, 2) Getting the USDA Health Check Certificate, 3) Being Processed at the Quarantine Desk at TPE, and 4) Drop-off & Final Release from Quarantine. It is really all about having your documents in order and always available, I can’t stress that enough. This is how I did it:

How to Apply For Your Import Permit

1. Microchip. Get Your Dog Microchiped with a 15 Digit Chip, if they do not already have a chip.

2. Rabies Vaccine. After the chip is implanted and at least 180 Days prior to importation, but not more than a year prior to importation, have your dog vaccinated for Rabies, make sure that the Veterinarian Office, complete the Rabies Certificate with your Dog’s Microchip Number and also state that they used an inactive vaccine.

3. Rabies Titer. Call your Vet and schedule an appointment to completed the rabies titer test 6 months prior to import into Taiwan (note: 6 months from the stated day of analysis). The test must have been done by the Kansas State University Rabies Lab, and obviously the result must pass. Again, make sure the microchip number is present and accurate. (After the results are back as the Vet to Email you a copy to attach to your Import Application)

4. Fill out the ANIMAL IMPORT application form found at https://pet-epermit.baphiq.gov.tw and attach copies of the Rabies Certificate, your passport and Titer Test Results. If you have any questions about what to write or don’t have the information yet, such as address in Taiwan, e-mail them and they will answer your questions. At the time that your application is approved they will e-mail you the permit and also make an appointment at the quarantine location your dog will be staying at. The permit will give you an 8 day window in which your dog must arrive (this window will be in the time frame that you tell them your dog will arrive). This is done so that if your arrival flight is delayed or something else comes up you have a window of time to arrive with your dog.

One Month Before Import you Will need to get a USDA Health Check Certificate

1. As Explained above, you will need a USDA Approved Vet to complete the Health Certificate that can be found on the USDA’s website and the BAPHIQ website https://www.aphis.usda.gov/pet-travel/health-certificates/non-eu/taiwan-dog-cat.pdf or https://www.baphiq.gov.tw/files/web_articles_files/baphiq/13032/19873.odt

I just called my vet and ask them to complete the form, they had a vet tech, who regularly did them and was familiar with the process, she went to the USDA website and pulled the form and just emailed me questions that she did not know the answer to for instance What the Import Permit Number was and our future address. The Form was ready when we went in for our appointment and all the vet had to do was examine my dog for fitness.

1. You will need to have all your export documents approved and stamped/sealed by a USDA veterinarian. This is done at a USDA office; it will also cost you $121USD! (Check or credit card only) You can find your most convenient location by going to their website: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/service-centers-endorsement-offices. You will need to make an appointment and bring with you the health certificate from your USDA approved veterinarian, plus all of the ORIGINAL documents you submitted for the Taiwan Animal Import Permit (rabies titer, rabies vaccination certificate and import permit).

Documents you will need to get on the airplane:
The Airline will ABSOLUTELY have to see these documents. The airline is legally responsible for making their best effort to establish that any animal boarding their plane bound for Taiwan has the proper documents needed for importation.

1. Taiwan Animal Import Permit (original)
  2. USDA Stamped Health Certificate
  3. Rabies Titer Results
  4. Rabies Certificate (EVA Air also ask to see proof that my Dog’s other Vaccinations were up to date. I was surprised by this as it was not mentioned above, but luckily we had all of this with us since we were moving and wanted to have them for a new vet in Taiwan)

Documents you will need at the quarantine desk at TPE:

I arrived at 5am and there was a woman at the animal and plant quarantine desk (located right next to one of the baggage claims). They said no one would be there until 9am on weekdays so I’m not sure why she was there, but she was, and she directed me to go pick-up my dog at EVA’s Lost Luggage Counter and then to come back to fill out the paperwork that she had for dogs.

We went to EVA’s counter they took my Passport and Boarding Pass and then we waited for about ten to twenty minutes for them to come back with our dog, the EVA representative then rolled our dog back down to the Quarantine Counter. We then filled out several forms with our Taiwaness Address and Phone Number along with information regarding our Dog. The lady at the counter then took my Import Permit, Rabies Certificate, Rabies Titer Results as well as the Forms that we received with the Import Permit that included information for the Quarantine Center, such as information about our dogs eating habits, play habits, allergies and other health information. (While we were filling out the paperwork, the lady let us get our dog out of her crate, my husband took her to an isolated area and let her go potty on the potty pads we had brought, she got to stretch her legs for awhile, probably 30 mins, and then was put back into her crate and the crate was re-zip tied.)

We then went with the lady to the Taiwan Bank Counter were I paid the 700NTD handling fee. We were then told that we could either wait until 9:00 when the Quranine Desk Officially opened or we could say good bye to our dog and she would make sure she got transported to the Quarantine Center for us. Since it was 6:00 in the morning and we were not going to be able to interact with our dog we elected to leave her with the lady at the Quarantine Counter. They gave us a call around 9:30 when she was moved to the Quarantine Center to let us know she had been moved and was doing well.

As a recent poster mentioned we were told that the National Taiwan University Vet Hospital was no longer available as a Quarantine Option, so the closest location to Taipei was The Animal Plan and Quarantine Center in Taoyuan. It is not ideal as it’s a 55 min Cab ride from Taipei and in the middle of no where.

Drop-Off/Pick-Up from the quarantine location:

My dog was at the he Animal Plan and Quarantine Center in Taoyuan. They have two sets of visiting hours 9:30 - 11:00 and 14:00 - 15:30. You are only allowed to visit once during the week that your dog or cat will be there, we picked day 3 since it broke the quarantine up a little for our dog. Honestly, I would never leave my dog at a boarding facility that was as minimal as the Quarantine Center if I had a choice, but she survived. When I arrived for our visit, we had to sign in at the outside gate, then proceeded to the building. The air outside of the building smelled badly of animal waste and inside was not better. When I arrived they ask to see my passport and then brought my dog our from the kennel area, I was not allowed to go back and see it, which is a little concerning. They had a couple rooms that looked like worn down hospital waiting rooms for you to interact with your pet. We played with a toy and cuddled for the hour and half I was there. One of the staff came in and answered my questions about how my dog was doing. He Also provided me with the bill, which we were able to take to 7-11 to pay prior to picking our dog up. We were charged an examination fee of 1,500 NTD and a quarantine fee of 4,220 for my 17 kg dogs 7 day stay.

The pick-up hours are the same as the visitation hours, we arrived a little early 9:10 and they already had all the morning pick-ups in the main waiting area ready to go. Our pup had some how negotiated not to be in her crate and was playing when we arrived ( I think it was a combination of her being pretty cute and whining when she was eventually put in the crate), the other 4 dogs were in their crates waiting for their owners. I signed a paper saying that we had received her and the attendant gave me paper work to get her Taiwan ID and to give to the security guard upon leaving the front gate. I then gave the attendant the receipts from 7/11 showing full payment of the fee and our dog and her crate were released to us. She came home very smelly and a little tired, but is otherwise doing great.

2 Likes

Hello,
I am trying to get my cat here to Taichung, Taiwan from USA. I just saw this old thread and I wonder if you can help me. Do you have any more information or experience? Can you tell me about the airline and the quarantine? Thank you!

I saw that this was an old thread, but thought we’d share our experience bringing our dog from Los Angeles, California, US to Taipei, Taiwan. We flew on EVA Air and our dog had to go in cargo. It was definitely a long process with lots of paperwork and lot of calls/emails back and forth. Required lots of planning and there isn’t any really clear 100% accurate information all organized in one place unfortunately.

We wrote about our experience here sharing every step we took - https://www.goodboyrufflife.com/2019/07/17/bringing-dogs-from-us-to-taiwan/

1 Like

Importing pets with humans in quarantine. I just did this so wanted to share some updates and some awful experiences.

I imported two cats from Hong Kong which, for reasons known only to Taiwan, is designated as a country with rabies, despite being rabies free. So import is about the same as coming from US- get a rabies shot, blood test 30 days later, wait 180 days, import. Was worried my flight would be canceled as so many are these days during the pandemic. Arrived at night, cats had to stay at the airport overnight and then get sent to the Taoyuan quarantine center. Easy access in the baggage claim, cats waiting at quarantine counter, paid their transit fee, said goodbye. Then I went to begin my 2 weeks of home quarantine. Got a call that they had arrived and had arranged a pet taxi service to pick them up and bring them to me in New Taipei City. Didn’t hear anything after that until they showed up with the pet taxi driver (obviously I cannot go visit them in quarantine). Well, they came back dirty and thin, one so thin she could barely walk, dehydrated, clearly hadn’t eaten or drank in the whole quarantine. Was shocked at her poor condition- sure, maybe you can’t tell if she is sick but must be able to see she isn’t eating the food! Long story short, coworkers took her to the vet for me, dehydrated, awful bloodwork, acute pancreatitis, high white blood cell count, she will be there for at least 5 days. Pretty upset that they didn’t send her to see a vet in quarantine or at least call me to see what to do about getting her to eat. The quarantine fee was about 6000 NTD per cat so for that amount, at least refer her to the vet, make me pay for it, not asking for free services…anyway, here is a pic of my cat at the vet, coworkers sent it to me, I am still in quarantine, cannot see her…

It is probably very stressed. Could they have had you on a phone on load speaker and calling its name at least?

If they had done ANYTHING would have been an improvement over doing nothing. I have video of the vet tech in the animal hospital hand feeding her to get her to eat and also sticking the dish under her nose (so she can smell the food) in a different video. Some scared animals just need a little help, I am in quarantine, can’t do anything. She almost died but blood test today was encouraging, she’s going to pull through. Very frustrating and I hope her vet makes a formal complaint to the quarantine center.