Importing Pets into Taiwan (Paperwork, Quarantine, etc.)

Sorry to hear about this! Good luck with your cats. Sounds like we should plan on at least one of us quarantining first so we can check on the pups during their quarantine. With dogs, we couldn’t take them during our quarantine anyway, since they need to be walked a few times a day.

So sorry to hear about this. Hope your cats are doing better now. We’re planning on bringing out cat over this summer, so this makes me pretty nervous. Which facility was your cat kept at?

I heard that summer can be tough because of the heat on the runway, if the pet is traveling in the cargo hold. If you have not already, consider checking your airline for summer travel restrictions.
Good luck with the move!

The quarantine facility for Taoyuan airport, there is only one I think. Somewhere in Taoyuan. The cat is better now, was truly a close call but she is still painfully thin, she is about 12 and harder to gain weight at that age…be sure to send observers if you can’t go due to quarantine.

Most airlines will not accept the pet if the temp is over 28C or so on either end, making summer almost impossible for shipping to TW unless you arrive 5AM or so so please be careful, nothing worst than having your plans disrupted at the last minute…we had a water bottle issue (could not refill without opening cage door, no longer permitted) and Cathay worked with us but could have refused us boarding. I am so glad it’s over because now Cathay will no longer ship pets from Hong Kong (announced yesterday) due to fewer flights so they need that cargo space for other than pets.

Good to know, thanks for the tip. We are planning on moving ourselves in may, and due to the titer 180 day rule our cat can’t move until July (she’ll stay with a friend until then back in the US). We’re talking to a relocation company to see if they can help, which means we won’t be in quarantine and will thankfully be able to visit. Good tips about the weather. Could end up changing our plans…

Yes the 180 day crazy rule really makes a lot of problems. Cathay also had a (new) rule that I had to fly with my cats (or some other human I picked)- they could not go unaccompanied meaning I had to go back to HK (2 weeks quarantine) then back to TW (2 more weeks quarantine). Good times. So just check that your airline doesn’t make some similar rule- of course, everything can change 5 times- Cathay cancelled the flight on day 180, had to fly them in the night before, day 179, got special permission (quarantine closing down for New Year, couldn’t bring them in day 181). Still have left over anxiety from this whole experience…

Do you mind me asking what was the expense for boarding one cat at the quarantine site? I can’t seem to find this info anywhere.