In Kaohsiung

Kaohsiung has a new online resource ( www.inkaohsiung.com) to make life easier for those living in or coming to Kaohsiung.

The backbone of the site is User Reviews where, you, the community have a say in what is and what isn’t worth checking out in Kaohsiung.

The site also features a Q&A forum (AskInK) where users can ask questions about visas, teaching, food, or anything else about Kaohsiung. The Q&A will help the community build a resource of information based on the experience of its members.

In Kaohsiung has free jobs, housing, and classifieds boards which let users post their ads for up to 30 days. Pictures can be uploaded right onto the site to make viewing more convenient.

Come check it out at www.inkaohsiung.com

Cheers
Graham

Well done! Finally someone is doing something.

I’m not sure I like the format of the site. It takes a bit of getting used to as far as navigating goes. I would prefer a format similar to Forumosa. But that was tried on a couple occasions in the past and it flopped. The last Kaohsiung based forum was called K-Town something. I heard it got attacked by spam bots so bad that the site became unreadable. Not sure if that’s true, but that’s what I heard.

Anyways, while I find the navigation a bit difficult, I don’t think the site is that user unfriendly. The site has a lot of potential compared with KaohsiungLiving. Truth be told, formerly known as ConnectKaohsiung, KaohsiungLiving has helped people a whole lot. People hook up for activities, people sell and trade things, people find jobs and places to live and countless questions are answered. Problem is, the site still sucks. That’s because it’s not a site… It’s a yahoo group and it is therefore very limited in options. It does the job, but it’s really not great. Everything is lumped up together. You have to scroll through countless job adds and apartments for rent meanwhile you have a good job and a sweet pad and you couldn’t care less. In addition to that, as a result of some severe online disputes and members complaints, the yahoo group moderators made it clear that the site is not to be used as a discussion board. So now it’s also limited to classifieds and information sharing only as far as moderation goes. For these reasons, this new website is much better. I notice that it has a well defined classified section, and it also has a “group” section which can also serve a good purpose. Tim has already put up his two cents about his enviro project. That’s really cool.

Can you tell us how is the site moderated? Is it moderated at all?

Oh and I love the restaurant section. There’s a lot of them listed and it shows where they are on the map! Cool site. I hope it works out.

Keep up the good work.

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”]Well done! Finally someone is doing something.

I’m not sure I like the format of the site. It takes a bit of getting used to as far as navigating goes. I would prefer a format similar to Forumosa. But that was tried on a couple occasions in the past and it flopped. The last Kaohsiung based forum was called K-Town something. I heard it got attacked by spam bots so bad that the site became unreadable. Not sure if that’s true, but that’s what I heard.

Anyways, while I find the navigation a bit difficult, I don’t think the site is that user unfriendly. The site has a lot of potential compared with KaohsiungLiving. Truth be told, formerly known as ConnectKaohsiung, KaohsiungLiving has helped people a whole lot. People hook up for activities, people sell and trade things, people find jobs and places to live and countless questions are answered. Problem is, the site still sucks. That’s because it’s not a site… It’s a yahoo group and it is therefore very limited in options. It does the job, but it’s really not great. Everything is lumped up together. You have to scroll through countless job adds and apartments for rent meanwhile you have a good job and a sweet pad and you couldn’t care less. In addition to that, as a result of some severe online disputes and members complaints, the yahoo group moderators made it clear that the site is not to be used as a discussion board. So now it’s also limited to classifieds and information sharing only as far as moderation goes. For these reasons, this new website is much better. I notice that it has a well defined classified section, and it also has a “group” section which can also serve a good purpose. Tim has already put up his two cents about his enviro project. That’s really cool.

Can you tell us how is the site moderated? Is it moderated at all?

Oh and I love the restaurant section. There’s a lot of them listed and it shows where they are on the map! Cool site. I hope it works out.

Keep up the good work.

marboulette[/quote]

I’m glad that you like the site. It’s been in the works now for several months and we are just recently getting the word out there into the community. Concerning navigating the site, I think like any new site, it will take some getting used to. Once users are familiar with the layout, it’s quite easy to get around. That said, we are constantly working to improve the site, tweaking parts of it as we see fit. Please e-mail me if you have any suggestions on how we can make it more user friendly.

For the most part, the community moderates the site. If you look at any of the user reviews, users are able to rate other reviews as well-written, funny, accurate, useful, and/or utter rubbish. In this way, users develop their own rating based on their contributions to the site. Future reviews will have more or less impact based on accuracy of past reviews. The users are in this way able to moderate the site. For inappropriate reviews, there is a flag button. At this point, a moderator will step in and help resolve the situation.

The site is still in its infancy and the more the community contributes to it, the more people living in and coming to Kaohsiung will get out of it.

Cheers
Graham
graham@inkaohsiung.com