In Salon (a beware)

I am sorry. I dont’ know where to put this.
I just wanted to warn everyone and anyone not to get their hair done at in Salon. Three re-dyes later my hair is still black and orange striped. dumbest hair dressers ever.
First time didn’t dye my roots. Then when I said to not change the color, only to fix the roots, they dyed my hair BLACK.
I am a blonde. (Or was)

Seriously. I would heavily warn to never use this salon.

Sucha Fob,

It’s actually best to avoid dying your hair here. When I first came to Taiwan I bought some Loreal hair dye from Watsons. According to the box, it was supposed to be exactly the same color that I had used in the U.S. - “light brown”. It turned my hair black.

Through this experience (and a couple of others after that) I discovered that the dyes here are different. And the developers are very strong. They are designed for Asian hair which is extremely difficult to color. Westerners, with lighter and finer hair don’t need to use such harsh developers to get results.

If you want really want to color your hair, it’s best to have someone from back home send you the dye and developer.

I have no choice. Part of my job means my hair changes CONSTANTLY. This is the 4th time my hair has been done this year. And this is the worst ever.

My skull is still throbbing.

May I suggest Naturtint?

If you buy it yourself in stores, it will be around NT$400 per box.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]May I suggest Naturtint?

If you buy it yourself in stores, it will be around NT$400 per box.

[/quote]

I haven’t seen this anywhere. Where do you get it?

Hi violet,

You won’t find it in Cosmed or Watsons. However, if you go to some of the private pharmacy or drug stores, you’ll often find them there. There’s one nearby in Zhonghe (sorry, not close to Miaoli) that has a full range of Naturtint hair coloring products. Some of the places I’ve seen only have a small range of colors.

This stuff works great because it doesn’t have ammonia in it so you don’t get the burn and it’s as good as any of the L’Oreal products.

This brand can also be found in some of the health stores, organic stores or vegetarian stores.

But…if you are looking for the light blonde shades, they do not carry them in Taiwan.

If one really wants to purchase them, I can help them get in touch with a Taipei distributor/agent of Naturtint. Just PM me or email me.

Full disclosure: I (have) use this product. :eh: :blush:

My wife has had her experiments with several products here too… :noway: It was hard but I pulled through. :laughing:

Actually, I just found it in a small pharmacy here - it was in the window. Only about five colors, though.

I move to Taipei on June 1. I’ll check out the selection there, I guess.

By the way, I found a store that sells the same products they sell in salons - a much larger range of colors than are found in regular products, and not all of them are from Asia. Does anyone know if you need a beautician’s liscense to purchase them?

Just curious but was it also around the NT$400 price range?

Probably not. Try it and see what they say. Is this place in Miaoli or some where else?

Just curious but was it also around the NT$400 price range?

Probably not. Try it and see what they say. Is this place in Miaoli or some where else?[/quote]

In Miaoli. If they have one here, I’m sure they have them everywhere else.

Oh, I dunno. I went there a few days ago, and I’m pretty happy with the result:

Careful, that may be stylish here soon!!

May I ask why? Or where :astonished: ? (I assume you’re a man :slight_smile: )

May I ask why? Or where :astonished: ? (I assume you’re a man :slight_smile: )[/quote]

Cause my hair looks like this:

I stumbled across this and have to add an update (even though this is ten years old) if anyone needs dyes, I have been to Mod’s hair near Dunhua station 4 times now (as I have to change my hair color all the time) the cuts they give me are decidedly Taiwanese (which for my job isn’t a problem but the rest of you might hate) but the coloring is perfect. They will sit and talk to you about coloring for an hour before they start if they don’t know exactly what you want. And my hair looks natural… which is something I never thought I would find here.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]I have no choice. Part of my job means my hair changes CONSTANTLY. This is the 4th time my hair has been done this year. And this is the worst ever.

My skull is still throbbing.[/quote]

Try Diane, she is strong in coloring and dying. She has many satisifed customers, both Taiwanese and westerners, and her new salon is even better than the old one. We lived in the US for a while so she speaks good English, and she also worked as hair dresser full time for over 4 years in Sweden (speaks good Swedish, too), so she knows western hair and hair styles. She also worked in Hong Kong for a short time.

She’s conveniently located in the middle of Taipei, just 3 minutes walk behind SOGO towards Civic Blvd. By MRT, get off at the Zhongxiao / Fuxing station on the blue line, taking the SOGO exit (4). There’s a (bad, I drew it) map on her web-site (see below), but basically you walk along Zhongxiao towards Dunhua for about a hundred meters until you hit Da’an Rd. Turn left on Da’an towards Civic Blvd. Pass a 7-11 on your right hand side. The last lane on the same side as the 7-11 before you get to the Family Mart convenience store (which is on the opposite side of Da’an) is lane 31. Turn right into that lane and you’ll find Diane about a 150 meters down, past the first intersection and on your left hand side.

Phone: 2778 4733
Address: Da’an Rd., Sec. 1, Ln. 31, No. 31, 2Fl.

She prefers time appointments to just dropping by, so give her a call. She’s open till 8.30 pm Wednesday through Sunday (Mondays and Tuesdays off).