In the U.S., the word "Easter" is now politically incorrect!

I just read this article that says that in the U.S., shopping malls are trying to refrain from using the word “Easter” because they think it’s politically incorrect.

I think this is extremely ironic because Easter is actually a pagan holiday. It came from the word “Eostre”, which is the goddess of the dawn. And the traditions of the Easter Bunny and egg hunts come from a pagan holiday to worhip the fertility god “Ashereh” on the spring equinox, March 21st. (Read more about the history of Easter here.) So it seems that paganism is now politically correct, but Christianity is politically incorrect, even though the U.S. has a history of 400 years of Christian culture.

Anyway, here is the article that says that the word “Easter” is now politically incorrect (copied from this website):

[quote]It seems not even the Easter Bunny is innocuous enough to be safe from the politically correct campaign to eradicate all meaning from our culture. Since there is nothing particularly Christian about the Easter Bunny himself, he isn’t banned

Why not allow all cultures and religions to practise their festival equally instead of prohibiting them all?

I hope there will be no references in America to Ramadan, or Passover, or Hannukah, or any other religious festivals in case the Christians get upset. And Paddy’s Day will have to go I’m afraid. Non-Irish people will be awfully upset.

I was in Malaysia many moons ago for Ramadan. And it was in Kelantan, the most Islamic state. Lots of muslims threw their houses open after dusk for all, muslims and non-muslims, to come and share in the feasting. That’s the way to celebrate a religious festival - invite all to share in the fun. What is wrong with people. :loco:

There is no law against celebrating Easter in a mall.

uh oh. What are we going to called saturday and sunday soon?

Day 6 and Day 7?? :loco:

whoa, MEN’s toilets? cant call them that, it’ll be “people with dicks” toilets

or any thing that asks us to buy more

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]I

[quote]It seems not even the Easter Bunny is innocuous enough to be safe from the politically correct campaign to eradicate all meaning from our culture. Since there is nothing particularly Christian about the Easter Bunny himself, he isn’t banned

It doesn’t come down to Christianity or ones belief. I like Easter and take part in the festivities but that doesn’t mean I believe in God or that I think that Jesus existed.

What it comes down to is not offending Muslims and numerous other religions which may or may not find the idea of Christianity offensive.

It is such a liberal world when in my country, England, newspapers are (or were) not allowed to describe criminals as Muslim, Asian, Indian, Black or Pakistani. They can however describe criminals as white.

Why? Because it is racist to identify the ethnicity of a criminal. (Unless you are white).

Companies by law have a certain quota to fill with ethnic minorities or people from ethnic descent. If those spaces are not filled, then the companies have to leave open these vacancies until an ethnic candidate comes along.

You can not be English in any way, shape or form. The familiar Sunday afternoon ringing of church bells was banned in my town because it offended muslim communities living nearby. However, thier newly constructed mosque, built with large grants from the local authorities is alowed to wail twice a day. There is an application to wail 5 times a day.

If I listed everything here I could go on all day and all night. But I’d be called a racist and be told to think about my actions.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]

What it comes down to is not offending Muslims and numerous other religions which may or may not find the idea of Christianity offensive.[/quote]

When did Easter become about being christian? I always thought it was to celebrate the birth of the Easter bunny, so he could live his life as a slave to go around once a year and give me chocolate! Next you will be telling me christmas is somehow christian related! :loco:

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]
I think this is extremely ironic because Easter is actually a pagan holiday. It came from the word “Eostre”, which is the goddess of the dawn. And the traditions of the Easter Bunny and egg hunts come from a pagan holiday to worhip the fertility god “Ashereh” on the spring equinox, March 21st. (Read more about the history of Easter here.) [/quote]

:unamused:

i guess you must keep an eye out for them gangbangers waitin for you to flash your headlights when theirs are off n i bet you mail congress regularly to stop them postage fees. :laughing:

btw MLK day is a Christian holiday you know, because Martin Luther ( a guy who swore a lot) started his own branch of Christianity. :laughing:

wanna buy some land in FL?

Personally, I don’t believe in the Easter Bunny, but I respect the beliefs of others who do.

Dangermouse:

Sometimes they don’t have to:

Those Icelanders–always causing trouble.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]You can not be English in any way, shape or form. The familiar Sunday afternoon ringing of church bells was banned in my town because it offended muslim communities living nearby. However, thier newly constructed mosque, built with large grants from the local authorities is alowed to wail twice a day. There is an application to wail 5 times a day.

If I listed everything here I could go on all day and all night. But I’d be called a racist and be told to think about my actions.[/quote]

I take offense to it being called “wailing”. It’s a call to prayer. Just because it’s not Handel doesn’t mean it’s not music.

It’s unfair to ban bells for noise if the call to prayer is allowed to be broadcasted publicly. What’s good for the goose should be good for the gander.