In Times of Personal Troubles

Sorry, Doc. This is a seceret that you shouldn’t tell anyone else, but you’re one of my fav posters. Shhh. If it’s bothering you, it’s not triva–unless you’re bothered by trivia. I was just bothered by a door to door internet saleswoman. Anyway, I’m rooting for you. I usually think things to death until I give myself ulcers. Prayer, when I do it sincerely, does help, though.

Sorry to hear you’re going through a rough spot, Doc.

I think faith helps people for various reasons. One is just the idea that there’s someone up there who might be able to help if you pray to them, and another is the idea that such worldly troubles are temporary, to be followed by eternal paradise. Then there’s the role of the pastor or priest as counselor to lend an ear and give advice and comfort when you need, and the role (important, in my view) of having a supportive community to turn to. In some churches there are lots of hugs waiting for you when you need them.

Wish I could match your wit and make you laugh like you frequently do to us on this site.
Hope your troubles pass quickly.

[quote=“Wookiee”]Wish I could match your wit and make you laugh like you frequently do to us on this site.
Hope your troubles pass quickly.[/quote]
Really, it’s no big deal. I shouldn’t have said anything, but you’se guys are all so sweet.
I always hear that in tough times, people turn to their religion for comfort. Maybe that is one function of it. To comfort the afflicted. Art also has the ability to reach our spiritual side in ways we don’t understand.

Everyday is pretty much a time of personal trouble, for me! My emotions used to really bother me, but I used to smoke a lot of weed, and before that I lived with my mother, so thats understandable.

It’s hard not to get the impression the OP is in a time of personal trouble. I guess there is everyday type of personal trouble (lets call it the ‘existential’ type), and the big bad thing happening right now or just hapened type of trouble (call it the ‘fucking big ding-dong’ type). The latter, for me and depending on the particular occasion, can never be resolved alone. I’d have to write or call someone or meet someone (a stranger or a friend) and really have a good, honest talk about it. Yes, in those times the mind or heart can come up with things you do to help that in normal times you might not be brave enough to dabble in. A prayer to God is the thing I’m thinking of. But nothing beats it like a really good, long, systematic and penetrating talk on the matter and the others that relate to it. I am very grateful for those people (who were usually initially strangers) who have tolerantly listened as I tried to explain myself and all the things. The talking cure, I think they call it.

For the rest of the time, again in my case, I find that there is no one thing that will help. One day it will be one activity and another day it will be another. Sometimes it’s getting up early sometimes it’s having a lie in, sometimes exercise, sometimes reading, sometimes something else. One thing will only work once or twice. I’m not a regular type of guy. Routines bother me, though I like them, too. I like to take them and leave them. Have the cake, and yes, why not eat it too.

To me, it seems that it is listening to oneself and being open to new things and being able to admit that something you thought sucked ass, actually did the trick that time when you were felling bloody dodgy and, hell, that thing I tried that worked great for a week now really sucks ass.

Change - you gotta love it. :rainbow: