Incantation, Taiwanese movie based on true story

Inspired by a 2005 Taiwanese family situation where members of a family each believed they were possessed by a different folk religion deity and that another family member was possessed by a demon ending up in the death of one of the family members.

Anyone know the original story and location in Taiwan? I’m guessing it was probably talked about here.

It’s the fourth most watched foreign language movie on netflix.

It’s not very scary and entirely true but if u r interested then this article tells the story that happened in Kaohsiung in 2005

2 Likes

That story is beyond bizarre. There must be a book out there somewhere about this

1 Like

Taiwanese believe in so much superstitious bullshit, nothing surprises me anymore!
I have heard many weird stories from the in-laws. People coming back to visit their relatives in another person’s body being the wackiest.

A person in a temple in Taichung was in a trance at one of those temple ceremonies, and so how it turned out the spirit that occupied the temple acolyte’s body was my wife’s young cousin who had died in a tragic accident years before (don’t know how they pieced it together that it was somebody from Miaoli who died…or were there other cousins there).

Ended up visiting the house of her auntie. Not sure how the hell this all played out in the end but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was money involved somewhere. Maybe it made everybody feel better.

1 Like

It isnt scary, but it is sick. Lots of problems here based on similar roots of mental illness and brain washing.

A good reason for more atheism. Or at least reasonable agnosticism.

Intriguing, interesting, good from the start. But story does not seem much like the inspired true story.