Incoming (from Hong Kong). Advice appreciated

Having been living in HK most of my adult life I’m considering moving across the water with the wife (Taiwanese). Kids flown already so just the two of us.

I’m looking to live in an area with a higher concentration of English speakers as my Mandarin is still average and it would be nice to try and build a social circle of folks who share a Western upbringing.

Where would you folks recommend re a neighbourhood to live. The wife is suggesting Tiammu but for what I read that info maybe 30 years out of date :joy:

Thanks for your comments and advice.

Taipei has the highest concentration by far of English speakers. Not that’s it is huge either but still way more than other places and more active social scene.

By the way there are many Hkers all over Taiwan including down South, may not solve your issue but if the wife is a Hker there’s no lack of them here.

Edit - Sorry I should have read you wife is Taiwanese :slightly_smiling_face:

How much is your budget if good you can just buy a place anywhere around Taipei city including New Taipei city that you like. Tianmu, Shilin Shipai are all good options for you but there are many decent spots. If you like bars you may want to live in Taipei city itself though.

1 Like

Yeah, Tienmu no longer the “foreign” neighborhood like 30 years ago, and even its 2-3 international schools are more likely stocked with locals having dual citizenships.
No real area where many firejgners live.
More likely to meet them in bars or sports/social clubs.
Best bet is pick an area near an MRT station, maybe one with 2 lines crossing. The MRT will take you wherever you want to meet new friends at whatever place.
Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. When you say New Taipei City. Does that include areas like Linkou ?

No because Linkou city is far outside Taipei ,you would be more isolated there.

When I say Taipei city I mean actual Taipei city because the ‘foreign stuff’ is super concentrated in Taipei city itself. Even New Taipei City has a lot less foreigner oriented places and activities although generally a shortish mrt into Taipei city.

But most foreigners who love a more internatiomal English speaking environment or things to do like concerts or events or shows or society meetings or simply going to bars , well Taipei city is your best choice (not that it’s like HK or anything…).

1 Like

Hello fellow “former” HKer and welcome to Taiwan (soon).

Your best bets for foreign communities are in the metro areas of Taipei and New Taipei. Xinyi, DAAN and Zhongshan would be the district with the most foreigners, with Neihu an upcoming area for international presence.

They r quite expensive, even for HK standards given the low wages here.