Indian Restaurants in the Taoyuan Area

I see in the China Post today that there is a new Ali Baba’s now out in Taoyuan.

Anyone been yet?

The contact details are:
2F, 86 Mingshen Rd
Tao Yuan
(03) 3360882

www.ali88.com.tw

Yes, it’s good. Great to have Indian food not too far away. Have eaten there twice…A little overpriced, but what can you expect from international food in Taiwan!

Ali baba wasn’t Indian … :wink: Overpriced hey … he’s filling his cave with treasure … sure it’s overpriced :laughing:

Awesome! Will try it tonight.

OK, here’s my review.

Easy to find, nice place that is new and very clean. Most tables have these huge sofa type chairs that you can lay back in, so it’s pretty comfortable. Bollywood MTV on a TV in the background, but not too loud so it’s adds to the atmosphere.

Great menu. Huge selection and every dish has got a pic beside it, bi-lingual and prices.
No alcohol on the menu at all :noway: but I talked to the guy and he said BYO of any alcohol is no problem (and, there is a 7-11 right underneath). I look at this anomaly like this: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The menu has all the ‘usual’ indian dishes in there, including an excellent vegetarian selection.

We ordered 2 Chicken dishes, 1 Vege dish, 2 Rice Portions, 3 Butter Naan, and 2 drinks.
Food was good, except 1 ‘boneless’ dish wasn’t boneless - still tasted excellent though. Portions were about right, maybe rice was a little skimpy, but enough for us anyway. Most dishes had some food left over so we were full.

Total bill $1400 NT. In view of the comments above about the price, I actually think this is OK. We went to Cafe India or something in Taipei about 6 months ago and order virtually the same as last night and it was over $2000NT, and the atmosphere in Taipei was a lot less desirable.
At any rate, I don’t think I could eat a restaurant Indian meal for 2 for less than $1400NT back home, even though in other parts of Asia it’s likely.

Oh, they gave me a $100NT voucher with my change which can be used at either the Taoyuan or Taipei branch.

Definitely going back. The corner window seat was great and with the BYO option, there is some potential to have a great night out with a group pretty cheaply. :beer:

I just have to post an update, and I went there last week and was pretty shocked. I’d hate people to read my review above and go based on that.

It’s a shadow of it’s former self, and I fear it’s be “Taiwanized” :s

It seems the restaurant is not being run by indians, as we didn’t see any when we went up. The place is filthy and looks to be run down ever since we were last there (2 years ago). We were the only people in the place, at 7pm on a Saturday :astonished:

As we sat down, I was seriously having second thoughts about staying. I opened the menu and they were the tatty remains of what we saw 2 years ago, but the shocker was 60-70% of the items has been crossed out by hand using a sharpie!! Classy, not.

It seemed many of the classic indian dishes were gone, and that was it, we were outta there much to the surprise of the staff.

What a shame.

you know, i wanted to try the buffet that they had going for a long time, but could never get anyone up for it.

we ate there once about 2 years back, and it was good. good to know that i don’t need to keep thinking about that buffet.

BTW, the indian place in chung li seems to have disappeared.

There is a new Indian place in Metrowalk mall. I went there on day 1 with some colleagues for lunch, and the food was OK, but the service was very much still coming together.
Ironman mentioned to me he went there in the last couple of days and thought it was pretty good.

I’ll change the thread title to “Indian Restaurants in the Taoyuan Area”

[quote=“Truant”]There is a new Indian place in Metrowalk mall. I went there on day 1 with some colleagues for lunch, and the food was OK, but the service was very much still coming together.
Ironman mentioned to me he went there in the last couple of days and thought it was pretty good.

I’ll change the thread title to “Indian Restaurants in the Taoyuan Area”[/quote]

Are you talking about Curry Empire? Close to Fridays? Been there a few times and liked it.