Indigenous cuisine in Kaohsiung?

As per the question in the title of this thread: where would folks go for Indigenous cuisine in Kaohsiung City? Any notable Paiwan, Amis, or other joints?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Guy

if you don’t mind nipping to Pingtung and booking in advance you can try this place

There is here, but I haven’t tried it personally.

1 Like

Wutai is awesome, among the beautiful places I’ve seen, but I won’t have the means to head up there in the mountains of Pingtung. Next time though . . .

That Amis / izakaya place on Fujian Street in Kaohsiung though looks great! I will definitely try to check it out.

Guy

2 Likes

If you try let us know how it is.

3 Likes

A friend of mine liked this place

2 Likes

Large sets for groups, dancing performances in ethnic garb . . . is this place for tourists?

Guy

My friend isn’t a tourist and didn’t go with a large group. I’ve never been

2 Likes

I have been just couldn’t remember the exact location, It was a while ago and never been back. (read into that what you like).
Its not just large groups but good for couples etc, its pretty for photos but we went for the food.

1 Like

Ha yeah before I do some snotty criticism of tourists, I should add that some of the best Indigenous food I’ve had was at the Bulowan complex in Taroko National Park, which also had the evening performance thing set up with dancing and singing . . . I was not crazy about that part but the food rocked!

Guy

The best I normally have is at family events and looks like this, or a Mountin pig if its a big do.
Lots of little places in the mountains do nice food, I tend to stay out of the city I’m more of a red neck.

2 Likes

that place next to blue fantasy looks bangin. will definitely be going and will give a review. thanks for the recommendation!

google maps link
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Qa9GY8yw3ysqzTydA?g_st=ic

1 Like

good place, have a cold beer, fried leaf

During my visit to Kaohsiung, I had a chance to try Pakelang (巴格浪原民居酒屋), helpfully suggested above by @Shaun008 . It’s conveniently located off Wufu Road near the Cultural Center neighbourhood. Here’s a shot of some of the food I tried:

On the left is abai, an Amis staple made with millet and freshly steamed to perfection. It was better than the ones I tried in Taitung. It was delicious! Cost: NT$80 and worth every dollar.

On the right is Kung Pao Chicken (cost NT$220, if I remember correctly), which was less impressive, as the peanuts were not the freshest and the chicken was a bit tough. I wouldn’t order it again. Instead, I’d try out other corners of the wide-ranging menu, perhaps some pork dishes and other dishes made with maqaw pepper, which I have come to adore based on recent dining experiences in Taitung City.

With welcoming service (the middle-aged Amis woman running the front of the store is lovely) and some great Indigenous beats coming from the sound system, I’d return in a flash.

Guy

2 Likes

Looking forward to your review! I sure enjoyed my visit.

Guy