Indigenous weapons should have indigenous names

The U.S. has a lot of native American names for its weapons, like Blackhawk and Apache.

Taiwan needs to name its weaponry with Austronesian and Holo names. Give them unique character.
Not “Tengyun” or “Hsiungfeng.”

5 Likes

They try sometimes.

They also do things to try and help indigenous people impacted by defense activities like donate money, help local communities, paint planes and military equipment with indigenous markings, etc.

1 Like

Must be some joke. Fck 經國。

3 Likes

Yes. When I’m being killed by something, I want to make sure it hasn’t been culturally appropriated from a marginalized group.

9 Likes

Culturally appropriated from a marginalized group! Come on Drew! :rofl:

Guy

3 Likes

Oof, all that and I botched the landing. Fixed!

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to Pride Month Hellfire missiles next!

1 Like

The key appropriators have evidently been working at Taiwan Rail, with their Taroko and Puyuma trains. They seem to have kicked the habit with their new Hitachi EMU 3000s, which has not been assigned an Indigenous name.

Guy

Both the Taroko and Puyuma trains were bought to service the regions with those names. Don’t see how they are appropriations in anyway.

They do have the Pangcah sun totem for the sun god Malataw on the F-16s stationed at Hualien, however, when they redone the paint to make it less vibrant and easy to spot, it caused some push backs.

The push back came from some elders considering the dark grey paint to be a bad omen. Not sure how likely dog fights are if we do get invaded by China. For US fighter pilots, they probably don’t expect to get into dog fights, as most engagements would in the form of long range radar and missile exchanges. However, with the close proximity across the strait, planes from both sides would probably get real close real fast. So, practicality might take a higher priority in this case.

5 Likes

I’d like to see the Chabuduo Surface-to-Air missile.

Someone I know worked on missile guidance back in the day; he told me about a test run that went horribly wrong and took out a helicopter that was supposed to be monitoring the test. Them were the days before health-and-safety injected a bit of common sense into such things.

2 Likes

Don’t we already have one?

1 Like

對這次事故的原因,軍方人士初步研判,發射管變形的可能性很大,才會造成「卡彈」無法發射。軍方官員說,這次發生卡彈事件,未必是壞事,可以讓部隊更認識這型武器裝備。

:rofl:
Chabuduo officers too, it seems.

There was some similar incident happened during WW1, I believe. Instead of just saying “this is fine”, they drafted in some famous engineer to fix it (he did - the problem boiled down to poor manufacturing tolerances).

Unexpectedly cool design.

1 Like

Surface-to-wherever.

3 Likes

Surface-to-same-surface?

Surface-to-everyone-nearby

2 Likes

Send a message to Xi: We are chabuduo so don’t let our precision weaponry and dedication to human rights and avoiding human casualties make you think you’re safe.