Indo-european words in Old Chinese

I left a comment, though approval is required.

So I’ll share my thoughts here.

For the Gao Lishi stele, the Chinese description had quotes around “backwards”, but the English description does not. The Chinese description seems to acknowledge that the concept of backward or modern is a human imposed concept that isn’t inherently positive or negative.

As fro the stele itself, it’s about a powerful eunuch named Gao Lishi, who had the ears of Emperor Xuanzong of Tang dynasty. Gao tends to be portrayed as a negative figure in popular literary works, comparing him to other evil eunuchs through out Chinese history. These works tends to claim that Gao was envious of Li Bei the famous poet, and plotted for Li to be removed from the court.

In reality, Gao is probably the noblest eunuchs in Chinese history. Gao was originally name Feng Yuanyi, and purported to be the descendent of Bei Yan kingdom’s royalty. His father was accused of mutiny, causing Empress Wu ordering to kill off the entire clan. Gao was spared only to become a eunuch.

Despite his tragic past, and becoming an eunuch, Gao studied hard, and also trained to become a warrior. He was well known for his strength, archery and knowledge. He was adopted by a high ranking eunuch named Gao Yanfu, which was why he changed his last name to Gao. He also changed his first name to Lishi (力士), which means the strong one (the word 大力士 is often translated to Hercules).

How the last name came about is probably the discrepancy that the English description talks about. The stele seems to indicate that Gao changed his name because the court awarded him a new last name, which doesn’t seem to be the case.

Gao then followed the man who would eventually become Emperor Xuanzong. He assisted Xuanzong in overthrowing Empress Wei and Princess Taiping to successfully ascend to the throne. He was deeply loyal to Xuanzong to the day he died. After Xuanzong abdicated post Anlushan rebellion, Gao would defend his old emperor in court and was banished for it. After learning of the death of Xuanzong, Gao mourned by not eating for 7 days, and died as a result.

The stele commissioned to commemorate Gao’s death, and originally stood at his burial site. Pan Yan and Zhang Shaoti were just the people assigned to erect the stele.

As for the ethnic minorities, the discrepancy between English and Chinese descriptions seems to be 民族主義, which the English version unfortunately opted for the word nationalism. While it does mean nationalism, but since 民族 also means ethnicity, it can be used in a different context. Regardless, they could have came up with a better description for that one for both languages. They could also simply spell out the Han-centric ethnocentrism, and Han-ethnic nationalism that the Chinese society and governments imposed on the ethnic minorities.

1 Like

Wonderful comment. The history from the stele is fascinating.
I fully agree on the unfortunate decision to uniformly translate 民族 as national in the English version cited. I would have chosen “ethnicity” in many of the cases if I’d been translating directly.

You have to consider the historical context of 民族/nation.

For most of history both terms correlate. For example, “the jewish nation” (even without a country). “The Sioux Nation,” an ethnic group also without a state.

Compared to the development of “nation (民族) states” such as England, France, Germany, etc.

Today, we just accept the word “nation” as a political territory, regardless of ethnic diversity within it.

The terms “nation” and “民族” are fluid: especially in China where today, states and nations are subverted into provinces of one nation state.

Who actually believes that Uighur and Tibetans are Chinese 民族?

And why hasn’t anyone, including the OP linked to this text? Which has been discussed on this forum before?

It’s funny when Caucasian mummies are found in western “provinces” of “China” and this is put forward by Beijing academics as proof that Caucasians lived in “ancient China.” And everybody lived happily together in a multicultural environment.

Just thought of another possibility.

Hanji OC MC Taigi PIE OE English Comment
*tronʔ trjwenX tńg *terə turnian turn
1 Like

Nice one. But I still disagree with this statement you made in your original post “there’s quite a bit of words in Old Chinese that could have origins in an Indo-European language.”

The prevailing theory is that PIE and ancient Chinese have a common root, not that one is a derivative of the other.

There is no traceable evidence that OC and PIE had shared ancestry (unless you are talking about the people and not the languages). I’m not saying one derived from another, I’m saying there were prehistoric interactions between the two groups that are evident in these ancient loan words.

One more, and this one is pretty good I think. It’s also another chariot related one.

*qˤ<r>[i]k ʔɛk ik *yeug- geoc yoke also means to join, to connect, to attach, to constrain

This is the same etymology for yoga, derived from the meaning to join with supreme spirit.

The PIE root *yeug spread everywhere. From the Hittite’s iúkan to Celts’ cuing, everyone continued to use this word, such as joch in German and ok in Icelandic.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstruction:Proto-Indo-European/yewg-

3 Likes

Two more

*taw tsyew tsiau *dyeu tiwes Bright in Chinese. To shine in PIE. Tiwes in OE is a part of Tuesday. Sky, heaven, god also derived from this
*taw-s tsyewH tsiò *dyeu tiwes To shine in both Chinese and PIE. Tiwes in OE is a part of Tuesday. Sky, heaven, god also derived from this
1 Like

I was just thinking about how Spanish dias and Latin dies also came from this PIE root, and suddenly thought of another obviously loanword in OC.

*t<r>aw trjew tiâu dyéws tiwes Day, morning in Chinese. To shine in PIE. Sky, heaven, god also derived from this
1 Like

One more I just found possible

Hanji OC MC Taigi PIE Latin English Comment
*[ɡ]ʷˁat hwat ua̍h *gwei- vivat viva alive. the PIE root also gave us bio-, vital, viable, vivid and quick. A more complete word for alive in PIE would be gʷih₃wós, and some say the OC word is a Austroasiatic loan from *gɑs
2 Likes

Not a posible PIE loan to Old Chinese this time, but to Old Japanese. The word for car in Japanese is kuruma くるま. It would have been *kúrúmá in Proto-Japanese. The Altaic etymology site says it has an Altaic etymology from Proto-Altaic *ki̯úŕu.

That’s cool and all, but kuruma has that extra ma at the end.

From the lists I compiled above, I think it’s possible that kurima came from PIE *kʷékʷlos *mˤraʔ wheel+mare. The two words in Old Chinese gave us 軲轆馬, which sounds almost exactly the same as kuruma even today.

1 Like

Who knew there’d be more. Certainly not me.

*[b]u[n] bjun hûn brennen burn Proto-Germanic *brennanan
*Cə-kˤat kat kat cut North Germanic *kut-, replacing OE ceorfan (carve)
*kʰ(r)ok khjowk khiok *keg- hoc hook PIE meaning hook, tooth
*[ts]aŋ-s tsrjangH tsòng *strenk- strang strong PIE meaning tight, narrow
*pˤək-s pwojH puè bæc back Proto-Germanic *bakam
*[k](r)[ə]p kip kip *ghabh- giefan give PIE meaning to give or receive
*l[a]p yep ia̍p *leub(h)- leaf leaf PIE meaning peel off
*l[a]p yep ia̍h *leub(h)- leaf leaf leaf like thin material
*[q](r)ewk ʔjak iok *yeug- geoc yoke Derived from to join, to connect, to attach, to constrain
*[k]ˤr[a]p kˠap̚ kap *kaput- cape English word from Latin caput, French cap. PIE meaning head
*[k]ˤap-s kajH khap *kaput- cæppe cap PIE meaning head
5 Likes