Indonesian or Burmese restaurants

Anybody know of any good Indonesian or Burmese restaurants in Taipei? I remember seeing one or two signs but on closer inspection didn’t see the dining room. There’s one just by the Main Train Station but I didn’t see where to get in! I miss pork and pickled mango.

Or, any good Yunnan restaurants?

In the neighbourhood near the Nanshijiao MRT station there are many Thai and Burmese restaurants. There was one cheap one I used to love, but I don’t know the name or remember the address. Sorry! Try wandering around, maybe ask a local. There was one street in particular that was all Thai and Burmese stores and restaurants, but it was a couple of years ago and I can’t remember the name. (Come out of the MRT, turn right and after a few blocks turn left)

Oh yeah, in an alley in the southeast corner of the Fushing N. and Nanjing E. roads is an excellent Yunnan restaurant called the Kunming. Best for lunch, get the set meal. This was also a couple of years ago, but I bet it’s still there. The owner speaks a little English and was super nice.

Kunming is still there and the food is good and reasonably priced.

there is an indonesian place on the west side of fushing north of minsheng a bit. don’t recall the name but you can’t miss it.

There is a small Indonesian-Chinese family-run place on LeLi Rd (off An-Ho road). opposite a video rental shop with a yellow sign, called Sate House which I sometimes stop off at on my way back from work which is in Carnegie’s a small walk from a small Indonesian place on LeLi Rd which is very near Carn…

It’s simple, friendly and quite nice.

Bob

(I should add that we have Nasi Goreng and Beef Rendang on our own menu)

The Indonesian restaurant on Fushing (between Minsheng & Min Chuan) is called Pondok Mutiara - near the Chungshan Middle School MRT station.

taiwanfun.com/north/taipei/d … Pondok.htm

It is pretty good, and i used to eat lunch there a lot when I worked in the neighborhood, and it was very popular with the lunchtime crowd. Went back a few weeks ago and it is still good, but suffering a lot as many of the offices have relocated to the likes of Neihu, and World Trade Center/Warner area. This area also has a lot of newer/trendier eateries which make it look a little old fashioned.

The people are very nice and helpful, and they have been serving Indonesian food for a long time here. I am not sure how long they will be able to continue though as they were telling me that almost every day the restaurant doesn’t get much trade.

The lunch special is around NT$200 and includes gado gado (Indonesian salad with a spicy peanut dressing), rice dumplings stuffed with chicken, a nice fresh veg soup, a light chicken curry, satay and a juice or can of coke.

I can recommend the chicken in sweet and spicy soy, and the fried potato beef cake (deep fried potato and beef pasties not unlike you get in some UK chip shops but with nice asian flavour).

The Indonesian restaurant on Fushing (between Minsheng & Min Chuan) is called Pondok Mutiara - near the Chungshan Middle School MRT station.

taiwanfun.com/north/taipei/d … Pondok.htm

It is pretty good, and i used to eat lunch there a lot when I worked in the neighborhood, and it was very popular with the lunchtime crowd. Went back a few weeks ago and it is still good, but suffering a lot as many of the offices have relocated to the likes of Neihu, and World Trade Center/Warner area. This area also has a lot of newer/trendier eateries which make it look a little old fashioned.

The people are very nice and helpful, and they have been serving Indonesian food for a long time here. I am not sure how long they will be able to continue though as they were telling me that almost every day the restaurant doesn’t get much trade.

The lunch special is around NT$200 and includes gado gado (Indonesian salad with a spicy peanut dressing), rice dumplings stuffed with chicken, a nice fresh veg soup, a light chicken curry, satay and a juice or can of coke.

I can recommend the chicken in sweet and spicy soy, and the fried potato beef cake (deep fried potato and beef pasties not unlike you get in some UK chip shops but with nice asian flavour).

I think I ate at a couple of restaurants there about 15 months ago. I always thought I was in Panchiao, but I guess I was in Chungho. I googled just now and found mention of it on a Kojen webpage. It says about the same thing that you did, mentioning the Nan Shih Jiao stop: taipeitimes.com/News/archive … 0000116882

That area was called Burma Town by the person who showed it to me, a Chinese born in Burma. I ate Burmese curry there, which has cumin without the anise- or licorice-tasting spice that Indian curry has (I like Indian curry, too, but the Burmese was different and good). There was also a restaurant there that served what the Arabs call hammas (sometimes spelled hommus, hummus, other ways)–mashed chickpeas. I ate them on some kind of pancakes with butter, and they were delicious.

I’m not a gourmet, but I think there’s some good food there.

If you are at the corner of Zhongxiao East Road and Yenji Street, head north and turn right at the first little lane, then turn left at the next little lane, then walk down about 20 meters – there is a little restaurant started by a couple from Burma. Tasty food there…

More info [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/burmese-restaurants-in-zhonghe/3093/13

See Jeff’s been looking at double threads. Ah well, one’s about Burmese in general, the other’s about Burmese in Chungho, so they’re staying separate, at least until it takes me less than 30 minutes to try to merge them.