Insects as food

Fair enough. I get that same feeling inside. its a hard thing to ignore.

What is your guys take on crickets and grasshoppers as food?

Never been a fan of this food, I have seen a lot in Thailand and I won’t try it even if you give me a $100.

Everytime you eat noodles, chips, cookies, bread etc you are eating bugs (especially moth and beetle species). Perhaps even rodents and birds. But certainly bugs. Just an fyi.

Ignorance is bliss. So im teaching you something that is the opposite of bliss haha :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No they aren’ t (ignoring the “äpologetic quotes”).

Admittedly they are not cows, I do get that, but then neither am I.

That doesn’t make me a bug.

Strictly speaking, (a good way to speak) none of the insects you have discussed are bugs either.

IIRC bugs are hemiptera. Aphids, for example, They are not cows either, though ants do sometimes sort of “milk” them,

Legs seem to be a factor. They have too many of them. She of the heavy caliber carronades specifically mentions them,

So you need earthworms, which you can actually feed on shit

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/abs/10.1098/rstb.1985.0120

or of course snails

But lets not go there again just yet.

Ok ya literally they are not. But many people call things like spiders and worms etc “bugs”. Quotes meaning so-called by many people.

But crustaceans, molluscs etc are so far separated from our physical appearance its easy not to associate with them. Its amazing how many people think vegetarians eat seafood…

1 Like

This is one of the reasons I rarely eat wheat products these days. I went low-carb about 15 years ago simply for the health benefits, but doing that sort of made me more aware just how much crap (literally) is in grain-storage silos.

We used to have a cat that relished cockroaches. While most cats might just bat them around a bit, this one would chomp them down with relish. I think it was probably a bit retarded - it had a fetish for lettuce leaves too.

1 Like

I think if faced with starvation or cockroaches you’d finally give in and eat them. Although I could be wrong. You could add some spices or hot chili and it wouldn’t be that bad, just think of them as an exotic delicacy.

Earth worms taste terrible ! And they have to be cleaned so well as they can carry anthrax and such like from the soil

In my opinion. For discussed “bugs”…haha i know i will get blasted for that. I mean non vertebrates! Not even invertebrates. So yes, just simply "creepy crawlies’?

COCKRAOCHES
Pros:
Common, many species for many environments

Some are very social (farm logistics)
Easy to care for (pest species)

Cons:
Their nutritional value isnt great. Just checkntheir “meat
to chitin” ratio. Its crap.

Like shrimp, allergen potential. Unlike shrimp, far more airborne as they are land based (an underestimated problem by the pro invert diet folks)

FCR…

Maturity times. Many species take months to mature…compare to weeks with say crickets.

Growth rate is relatively slow (contrary to popular belief).

CRICKETS
Pros
Fast development, usually undr 3 month lifespan

Eat nearly anything. Roaches can puke and many species are actually very specific feeders.

Less exoskeleton and lots of meat.

Less fatty than larva type insect food (bees, beetles, moths/butterflies etc)

Good FCR

Cons:
Very aggressive and less social (deaths are common)

Stink

Some industrial disease problems

SNAILS
Pros
Often easy to feed

Good taste

Easy to process

Cons…

Disease to humans*

Pest potential

BEETLE LARVAE (variable per species)

Pros
Yummy

High fat

Some species are easy to contain (eg mealworms)

Cons
Often fairly specific feed inputs

Lower fcr than other insects

High chitin % for hard shelled species

Slower than crickets

ANTS
Pros
Actually quite nice. Think eggs more than ants.

Prolific

Cons.

Many are a pain to raise commercially.

Feeding

They escape and can be very invasive

Harvesting might hurt based on species

Yeilds are low in relation to space and time.

Limited market (often sour).

Bees and the like
Pros.
If flower pollinators they help the environment.

Larva are exceptionally tasty, even for picky people.

People are less geoased out by them

Many by products (was, honey, pollen etc)

Already well established protocols

We need more…

Cons.
For a meat type product, not super efficient, by products make up for that.

Due to their travel nature, organic pretty much impossible

Wild populatikns decimated fornlarvae and honey damage entire regions (farmed is likely better)

Disease spread on farms

Addictive…try with nuts… Tiger head hornet larvae roasted under flame are really really yummy as is.

Spiders and other fairly slow growing, srictly predatory types are not so efficie t. To make it simple its like raisimg lions for meat (spiders) instead of chickens (crickets). Its just not there logistically, just a story…or decimating wild.populations.

1 Like

I am curious how you know this.

1 Like

Part of every 5 year old british child’s diet I thought ? :smirk: Generally one try is enough .

3 Likes

Yeah that’s pretty much true.
@tempogain yes I tried. I grew up on a failing pig farm there were only a few pigs left but they’d squeal all night. We had no TV , and of course no internet so all sorts of strange things happened as childhood dares and curiosities. . Yes, I tried one , never again I cannot describe the taste when eaten raw. Maybe if I threw it in with the bacon the pig fat might cover the taste and perhaps even more importantly the texture. @shiadoa can fill you in.
I’ve never eaten hedgehog pie which was popular with some of my relatives they’re just too cute. Grasshopper barbecued is not too bad as a bit of HP sauce.

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea, plenty of garlic, and use some hot sauce

1 Like

Worms need the contents of their gut squeezed out. Being on a pig farm i can only imagine what you actually ate…

1 Like

Never did me any harm … wait a minute :joy::scream:

1 Like

We are both pro Brexit and both have eaten an earthworm but correlation does not prove causation and our standard error is high. We need more subjects(excuse the pun) in the test to prove eating earth worms causes one to become a Brexiteer :rofl:

1 Like

The problem with the theory is that I am sure @Brianjones ate all sorts of things when he was a child , but it didn’t make him see the light :wink:A good friend has invested heavily in several cricket farms . Makes sense as a protein concentrate at 70 plus percent protein . Currently novelty snacks and protein industry users , but it will grow I think

1 Like