Installing unsupported OS on android phone

My samsung note 8 stopped getting OS updates a few years ago. I think the phone still works great and is plenty fast for what I do. However there are some apps now that are saying I need a newer OS version to run. Does anyone have any experience doing this? If I install android 13 on it, will things work for the most part or is it not worth the effort.

It will work.
But Google is more thorough on security now, so some apps will not work for security reasons anymore e.g. Google Wallet

2 Likes

Phones get obsolete VERY quickly whether it’s Apple or Android, but Android is somewhat worse since they stop giving updates only after 2-2.5 years (iOS is something like 4-5?). Your phone is 6.5 years old, so as far as the tech world is concerned, it’s definitely one foot in the grave, which is why I had to convince my mom to buy herself a new phone despite the fact that it was functionally OK.

• You’ll probably need to root the phone (gaining deeper access to the phone), which needs a decent amount of know-how on both finding trustworthy sources or even how to do it; I’ve seen some misleading sites that teaches you how to do it, but then either the loophole needed to root it got closed up and it won’t work or even worse, it’s a scam site.

• This is an unofficial modification using an aftermarket ROM (think of it as the operating system), not an OEM procedure, proceed at your own risk, despite the fact that your warranty is long gone.

• You might lose data if it’s not properly backed up since just about every ROM I’ve ever rooted requires a total wipe of the phone.

• It may still be decently fast and such now, but remember: Every phone’s operating system is designed to work with the newest hardware. Although you’ll regain some compatibility, your phone may work slower, hotter (working harder = more heat), and/or lose battery life.

• Your system might be more vulnerable. You may have more access to your phone, but so may hackers.

• For the previous reason, some apps will lose support, especially in Taiwan where even the most mundane app wants 2 factor authentication.

If none of the above fazes you, then you may root your phone at your own risk. If something sounds like a concern, I suggest it’s time to send your phone to mobile device heaven.

3 Likes

Without Googling this, I would be surprised if it works. And unlikely to be worth it. Just buy yourself anything newer.

There are ROMs with Android 14. I have used ROMs based on LinageOS with some older phones, but now a stock Pixel is good enough for me.

https://xdaforums.com/f/samsung-galaxy-note-8-roms-kernels-recoveries.6801/

2 Likes

Yeah, true. I installed a custom ROM on a previous phone years ago when I first arrived in Taiwan and even then a few apps simply couldn’t be used anymore. It’s probably worse now – I think a couple of my Taiwanese banking apps won’t even run when developer options are enabled.