Institutionalized racism in the US and elsewhere

All red herrings.

Sorry, when you dig up herrings after 8 months in the grave, their original colors are hard to determine. What exactly is your point?

Still a relevant thread. Report is probably just the tip of the iceberg but you won’t hear much about it.
Extreme difference in the appraisal for the same house. Appraisal while Black: $125,000. When assumed white: $259,000

1 Like

Let’s hope this doesn’t give food for hate to more people in the US.

An encouraging story arising from a very discouraging time period.

In 1939, the Dongs, a Chinese American family in Coronado, California, found themselves unable to rent a house amid racially restrictive housing laws that favored white buyers and renters.

“I think that when we talk about racism generally in California, and especially in places like San Diego and L.A., people think because there was no slavery in California, that racism didn’t exist,” said Jo Von M. McCalester, a Howard University political science professor who grew up in San Diego. “But it doesn’t mean that groups and individuals didn’t understand their places within the society.”

At the time, the only place for minorities and immigrants to stay in Coronado was Gus Thompson’s boarding house on the upper level of their barn. This didn’t happen by chance. Thompson had traveled from Kentucky to California to work at the Hotel Del Coronado. He built the house and barn on C Avenue in 1895, before the city’s racial housing covenants took effect making him exempt from the restrictions. Thompson converted his barn into a boarding house for the vulnerable.

2 Likes

You had me at Dongs. :smiley:

Upstate NY has its share of encouraging stories as well.

Upstate’s forgotten abolitionists: Stephen Myers helped hundreds to find their freedom - newyorkupstate.com

Black Adirondack Farmers, Escaped Slaves, Civil War Veterans, Remembered at Union Cemetery - New York Almanack

I can’t think of his name, but one escaped slave started a farm in NY up close to Canada and when the escaped slave hunters came looking for him the entire community suddenly forgot where he lived. :banana: