Insurance costs are tax deductible

Since tax filing season is coming up I wanted to share some information that I was completely unaware of until yesterday.

Insurance costs, like private medical insurance, etc, are tax deductible. For those of us that have a whole family insured, it can be a massive deduction.

Still finding out exactly which documents I need to prepare for when I go file, if any.

Posting since I wouldn’t want anyone to miss out on this opportunity

3 Likes

There is a maximum amount of $24k/person, though. Only NHI is deductible without limit.

1 Like

That’s perfect because we spend just about 24k each. A cool 72,000 dollar deduction

I also heard you can deduct some of your rent from your taxes… Still looking into that

Another aspect to be aware of: The itemized deductions will replace the standard deduction (120k single / 240k married). So the sum of your deductions needs to be more than that to make an effect!

Yeah - that comes up quite often: Up to 120k per year, but most people won’t take it because it’s quite a certain way to lose your apartment if the landlord is not paying taxes themselves (which most of them don’t do…)

4 Likes

Ah, yeah that makes it pointless for us then

1 Like

Be aware your rent will probably not be tax deductible (租金無法抵稅) : Even though there is a 120,000 NT tax deduction for rental expenses, 95% of individual landlords do not report their rental income to the tax office. Therefore they do not want you to claim your rent as a deduction. If you ask them, they will likely raise your rent to cover their added taxes. I do not recommend reporting your rental expense without their permission.

source:

This should be negotiated with the landlord when you sign the lease

Just file it afterwards. I’m asking my wife to file this one.

They are acting illegally. I never even met my landlord since they use an agent to try to hide the identity.

Negotiations:

Me: I would like to file for my rent deductions in my taxes.

Landlord: No.

1 Like

More like:

Landlord: Then the rent will be 30% higher.

1 Like

I negotiated a discount.