Interesting areas for night strolls

Hello all,

Kinda new to Taipei and curious if people here have any recommendations on interesting, rarer-seen neighborhoods or streets that make for a good stroll after dinner? I ask cause I usually like to go for a walk after meals just to help digest and I’m really only familiar with the busy areas (XinYi, Dong Qu, YongKang).

But maybe I’ve missed something in those neighborhoods as well. Anyway, just hoping for some suggestions, thanks!!

[quote=“jeboody”]Hello all,

Kinda new to Taipei and curious if people here have any recommendations on interesting, rarer-seen neighborhoods or streets that make for a good stroll after dinner? I ask cause I usually like to go for a walk after meals just to help digest and I’m really only familiar with the busy areas (Xinyi, Dong Qu, Yongkang).

But maybe I’ve missed something in those neighborhoods as well. Anyway, just hoping for some suggestions, thanks!![/quote]

Have you tried the riverside parks?

If I had to take a stroll I would go down Dun Hua or Ren Ai Rd, spacious side walks.

All in all, I think avoiding very noisy and busy areas would be a start, you’d be surprised what you find in the smaller side streets of Taipei.

try datong.

[quote=“ranlee”]Have you tried the riverside parks?
[/quote]
Yes, but be careful: How do you fend off a pack of stray Taiwanese dogs?

[quote=“yyy”][quote=“ranlee”]Have you tried the riverside parks?
[/quote]
Yes, but be careful: http://tw.forumosa.com/t/how-do-you-fend-off-a-pack-of-stray-taiwanese-dogs/87296/1[/quote]

I’ve also heard of people getting mugged in riverside parks at night.

In summer, snakes would be a real concern. That is why we don’t recommend going, say, to Elephant Mountain or other grassy areas -the Park that Shall Not be Mentioned, for example, unless it is broad daylight. I tried strolling in the landlocked HTC Park in Xindian and even now, that it is better lighted, you may step on something squishy and alive -no, it ain’t dog poop.

Sticking to the urban stroll, like I do with my doggies, is quite fine, or a crowded park, like Linsen Park -old Japanese temple remnants-, Daan, or even dare I say Taida. But as said, a historic neighborhood like Tadong, or in your case, since you live in that area, Songshan/Raohe nightmarket/Housanpi, Mingshen neighborhood -alameda full of small stores, or the Songshan Culture Park area. Samll alleys lead to fascinating discoveries.

The other day I was walking down Changan road, looking for Christmas stuff, and I ventured into an alley. It was like walking into a time machine, Taipei of 50 years ago. Amazing old neighborhood, very traditional stores and people sitting outside or in their open living rooms doing chores. Hope you have such an experience.

Thanks for the replies y’all. I have been around Dunhua and RenAi and it is nice. I was thinking of riverside parks next but I guess I will try to go when there’s more people around, so not too late.

[quote=“Icon”]In summer, snakes would be a real concern. That is why we don’t recommend going, say, to Elephant Mountain or other grassy areas -the Park that Shall Not be Mentioned, for example, unless it is broad daylight. I tried strolling in the landlocked HTC Park in Xindian and even now, that it is better lighted, you may step on something squishy and alive -no, it ain’t dog poop.

Sticking to the urban stroll, like I do with my doggies, is quite fine, or a crowded park, like Linsen Park -old Japanese temple remnants-, Da’an, or even dare I say Tai-Da. But as said, a historic neighborhood like Tadong, or in your case, since you live in that area, Songshan/Raohe nightmarket/Housanpi, Minsheng neighborhood -alameda full of small stores, or the Songshan Culture Park area. Samll alleys lead to fascinating discoveries.

The other day I was walking down Changan road, looking for Christmas stuff, and I ventured into an alley. It was like walking into a time machine, Taipei of 50 years ago. Amazing old neighborhood, very traditional stores and people sitting outside or in their open living rooms doing chores. Hope you have such an experience.[/quote]

Park that shall not be mentioned? I’m new here so…Da’an park?

I’ll have to check out Songshan Culture Park & Huashan’s too. Hopefully they are active at night as well as during the day.

WIll look into Changan road area. I think I know what you’re talkign about…

:laughing: Da’an, nooo. There is this secret, awesome, beautiful park a bit after Linkuang Station. At the entrance, there is a wall where Allied POWs were shot just before the Japanese surrendered. Hence, the locals think the park is haunted, so rarely go there. It is practically pristine, being previously used as a military whatchamacallit. The name is… *

*EDIT: No, I am not being a jerk, I truly cannot find the name, dimmit!

[quote=“Icon”]:lol: Da’an, nooo. There is this secret, awesome, beautiful park a bit after Linguang Station. At the entrance, there is a wall where Allied POWs were shot just before the Japanese surrendered. Hence, the locals think the park is haunted, so rarely go there. It is practically pristine, being previously used as a military whatchamacallit. The name is… *

*EDIT: No, I am not being a jerk, I truly cannot find the name, dimmit![/quote]

I know the name but will only mention it after receiving large red envelopes. :smiley:

The last couple of times I’ve been there, it’s been relatively busy. No longer really a secret or a place locals avoid.

[quote=“Icon”]:lol: Da’an, nooo. There is this secret, awesome, beautiful park a bit after Linguang Station. At the entrance, there is a wall where Allied POWs were shot just before the Japanese surrendered. Hence, the locals think the park is haunted, so rarely go there. It is practically pristine, being previously used as a military whatchamacallit. The name is… *

Fuyang Eco Park?

The riverside parks make for great evening strolls
A nice walk is from Bitan to Xiaobitan.
Another is Gongguan up to Taipower (walk across that cool pedestrian bridge and you end up in the Hakka Park).

[quote=“jeboody”]Thanks for the replies y’all. I have been around Dunhua and Ren’ai and it is nice. I was thinking of riverside parks next but I guess I will try to go when there’s more people around, so not too late.
[/quote]

I’ve only have never heard of anyone being mugged or being chased by dogs on the riverside stretch that I frequent. Maybe in other areas it’s more likely? If you’re concerned about strays or being mugged, I would suggest staying to the more popular areas with more people.

Here’s a few riverside areas with more people:
-Guting Riverside Park
-Fuhe Riverside Park
-Yanping Riverside Park (Da Dao Cheng Wharf)
-Yuan Shan Riverside Park
-Dajia Riverside Park
-Rainbow Bridge Riverside Park (Rao He Night Market)
-Meiti Riverside Park (Da Zhi Area)

The general idea is to not wander too far from the riverside park entrance. The farther you go the less people there are.

To help you narrow it down even more, here’s a 100% ranlee guaranteed stray dog free filter from the list above:
-Yanping Riverside Park (Da Dao Cheng Wharf)
-Rainbow Bridge Area (Rao He Night Market)
-Meiti Riverside Park (Da Zhi Area)

[quote=“yyy”][quote=“Icon”]:lol: Da’an, nooo. There is this secret, awesome, beautiful park a bit after Linguang Station. At the entrance, there is a wall where Allied POWs were shot just before the Japanese surrendered. Hence, the locals think the park is haunted, so rarely go there. It is practically pristine, being previously used as a military whatchamacallit. The name is… *

Fuyang Eco Park?[/quote]

Ask Cfimages! :frowning:

EDIT: YES!!! It is! :slight_smile:

The Botanical Garden near Xiaonanmen MRT is a good place for an after dinner stroll. It’s quiet, safe, easy to get to, has no crowds and still retains that old-world colonial feel.

i’ve been around the river parks at like 2am before, saw about 50 dogs one time. it was mental. luckily there was a way around them so i didn’t have to go close. i found they are ok if they are alone, you can talk to them and they soften up a bit but its a little scary when you see a huge pack coming your way.

[quote=“jeboody”]Hello all,

Kinda new to Taipei and curious if people here have any recommendations on interesting, rarer-seen neighborhoods or streets that make for a good stroll after dinner? I ask cause I usually like to go for a walk after meals just to help digest and I’m really only familiar with the busy areas (Xinyi, Dong Qu, Yongkang).

But maybe I’ve missed something in those neighborhoods as well. Anyway, just hoping for some suggestions, thanks!![/quote]

One of the better opportunities of being in Taipei (or even Taiwan) is that it is entirely safe, easy, and convenient and that there are tons of “interesting, rare-seen neighborhoods or streets” off of nearly every major street. Just pick a couple of large streets or an intersection or maybe a known site, head back to the streets behind it or them, and there will be a good stroll. You’ll always stumble upon a temple, day or night market, coffee shop, historic sight, an old Japanese era building, a neighborhood park, or maybe something modern and trendy.