Interesting Olympics screenshot - two nomenclatures for Taiwan

Just browsing some preliminary reporting from the Olympics in London and I noticed some surprising variation in the reported results from women’s archery, apparently among the very first competitions underway, and one in which Taiwan does well. So there I saw, Taiwan abbreviated as TPE in some scoring lists and TAIWAN in one other(!) Fascinating. Score one tenth of a point for Taiwan.

I wouldn’t have believed it myself, so I’ve attached some screenshots.

Here is the link to the page I viewed: guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju … sfeed=true

The CCP cadres who troll this site have seen this thread and are already lodging a formal complaint to The Guardian.

It seems like the Yahoo! Sports Olympics portal has also listed the Taiwanese team under the Countries section, well, as Taiwan, with a button depiction of the Taiwan flag and not the Chinese Taipei Olympic flag. In the overview medal rankings, Taiwan is also listed as, well Taiwan (although in the Chinese Taipei position right between Chile and Comoros). So obviously this is deliberate. Perhaps through the flag incident or what not, the international media has decided to side with Taiwan on this one. :bravo:

This is bringing tears to my eyes…

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR SACRED ONE-CHINA POLICY? NO MORE BEIJING 2008, ONE SIDE ONE COUNTRY ALL THE WAY! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

The Guardian has a long-standing policy of referring to Taiwan as Taiwan.

Yes I just realized this as well. It does make sense given the Guardian’s relationship with the Taipei Times.

An interesting observation…

Out of all these Yahoo news pages (Hong Kong, UK, US, Japan and France), the only one to refer to Taiwan as “Chinese Taipei” is Yahoo! Taiwan itself. Maybe they should rename itself to Yahoo! Chinese Taipei.

[quote=“hansioux”]An interesting observation…

Out of all these Yahoo news pages (Hong Kong, UK, US, Japan and France), the only one to refer to Taiwan as “Chinese Taipei” is Yahoo! Taiwan itself. Maybe they should rename itself to Yahoo! Chinese Taipei.[/quote]

You know who also refers to the team/country as Chinese Taipei? Ma Ying-Jeou.

…plus not everyone is from Taipei. What if I’m from Tainan? Chinese Tainan? 中華台南? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: