Interesting videos of knowledge

Long history on Taiwan’s sub

1 Like

There are quite a few engineers/scientists on Forumosa, and I think y’all would enjoy this guy’s videos. He builds the most random stuff in his garage (or blows stuff up in his yard) and explains not just how to build them but all the physics/chemistry behind them.

He’s basically Professor Utonium, or maybe Bruce Wayne. I’m actually quite surprised he hasn’t been kidnapped by ISIS and forced to build them an arsenal of 22nd-century weapons.

This is one of his tamer presentations.

1 Like

We don’t have a “mad dogs and Englishmen” thread, so I thought I’d put this here.

Content summary: eccentric Northern chap builds an ingenious yet utterly pointless machine, in the Heath Robinson tradition.

1 Like

You get a similar feeling when dealing with CSS?
:rofl:

1 Like

Ha, not really. I always get the damn thing to work sooner or later

1 Like

I’ll have to give this a watch when I get the time. MIT online course.

1 Like

Looks interesting!

These are all good.

2 Likes

C. G. P. Grey is great!

2 Likes

Wearing your hat backwards is not a new thing.

2 Likes

I just came across this TED talk about how science works, by the late Kary Mullis (the inventor of the PCR process). His manner and enthusiasm reminds me of Richard Feynman, although I don’t think Feynman had ADHD. Well worth watching whether or not you have a science background.

Amazing.

2 Likes

She’s doing better than most, she’s actually trying to think it through.

That kind of initiative would get you a senior management role these days.

I bet she went on to set up a new company, it went huge, then they upgraded to Windows 8 and it all came crashing down.

1 Like

Very cool series.

@oldboy1 you mentioned you like clunkers, you might like this guy on Youtube. This is an example of his early stuff.
He’s a bit more corporate these days, but still entertaining.

How a math question makes you think on how humans behave:

I’m not sure why this appears in my YouTube feed. I’m not Welsh. But you never know when you might need to know this.

4 Likes

If you were, you wouldn’t need the video :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I follow a bunch of woodwork-related channels, the best of which are below. They’re a combination of ASMR and “huh, that is an obscure but useful piece of information”:

Lately I’ve also been watching this guy, since I’m trying to get into the kind of climbing that involves equipment: