International School Job Fair @ Taichung American School

Anyone going to the job fair this weekend in Taichung? The fee was 900nt and you get a “round robin” interview session with the following schools…

American School in Taichung (Taichung)

Asia American International Academy (New Taipei City)

Hsinchu American School (Hsinchu)

International Bilingual School at Tainan-Science-Park (Tainan)

Kaohsiung American School (Kaohsiung)

​Morrison Academy (Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung, Chiayi)

1. Anyone planning to attend? Will I be the only one there!?!?!?!
  2. Does anyone have inside info on any of these schools? Any to shoot for/stay away from?
  3. What kind of pay packages should I be expecting? I’ve been working at a private school in Taipei for years and have yet to find any schools (outside of TAS, TES) that can offer better pay. Should these international schools be offering better pay packages than my private school?

Thanks in advance!

would love to know how to get a ticket.

I believe registration closed a few weeks ago but you can try emailing them to see if they can squeeze you in. You must have a teaching license from your home country to attend. Here’s the contact information. I’m guessing there won’t be many teachers there as none of my friends or colleagues have heard of it.

-Alice Shih
-accountant@ast.tc.edu.tw

1 Like

Here’s the link to sign up for the fair…

Thank you American School in Taichung for holding the first ever Taiwan International Schools Recruitment Fair (TAI-Fair)! It was possibly the only face to face fair in the world this year! There were about 70 certified teachers participating, and 9 schools attending, including AST.

It was a great opportunity to meet fellow teachers and potential employers in an open face to face setting.

My take aways from the fair were

1. Subject specific licenses such as social studies, math, art, special needs, and guidance counseling are much more valuable than typical elementary K-6 licenses or ESOL K-12 licenses in regards to international schools (at least for the positions available today).

2. While having an IB educator certificate helps one’s resume stand out, IB experience far outweighs any certification.

3. Participating in after school clubs and adding those clubs to one’s resume can be extremely helpful when seeking international school positions.

4. International Schools do not necessarily equal higher pay. I was surprised to find many schools offering pay packages similar to or even lower than what many private schools offer in Taipei.

5. I was very lucky to get into my current school, Tsai Hsing, a school that values my credentials and trusts me to use my teaching knowledge to adapt to a grade level I had yet to teach. I will continue to teach at Tsai Hsing for a 5th and possibly 6th year while preparing to test for an additional licensure (Social Studies 6-12) to make myself more valuable in the future.

Thanks to all the schools who participated!

If any of you are certified to teach math, physics, biology, drama, upper level English Lit or special education, give these schools a look and maybe you will find a position that suites you. Good luck!

Asia American International Academy (New Taipei City)

Hsinchu American School (Hsinchu)

International Bilingual School at Hsinchu-Science-Park(Hsinchu)

International Bilingual School at Central Taiwan Science Park (Taichung)

International Bilingual School at Tainan-Science-Park (Tainan)

​Ivy Collegiate Academy (Taichung)

Kaohsiung American School (Kaohsiung)

​Morrison Academy (Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung, Chiayi)

1 Like

did you end up going?

nope