International transfer fee in Taiwan

Hello,

I recently did my first international transfer from my bank in Europe to my new account at MegaBank in Taiwan. However, I was surprised to learn that when I sent around NT$35000 it followed with a whopping NT$928 transaction fee based on the following provided specification:

• International bank transfer: NT$114
  • Receiving bank fee: NT$814

Questions:

• Is this a normal fee at banks in Taiwan or in general when conducting international bank transfers?
  • Is it possible to reduce the transfer fee in any way by either changing bank in Taiwan or configure the currency accounts in any way?

Note:
I have my account at a bank that currently do not have a branch in Taiwan. The reason why I need to do transfers and not just do ATM withdrawals is because my card got cancelled and I need to be able to access my funds in Taiwan somehow.

Was there a correspondent bank involved that charged the fee? Your European bank probably did not send the money directly but via Deutsche Bank or similar, who charge a fee.

1 Like

I was going to suggest that too. Was the “international bank transfer” fee charged on the Taiwanese or European end?

For reference, the last time I transferred a similar amount (US$1500) to myself using TransferWise, the fees at Mega Bank were as follows:

TransferWise fee: US$4.25
Mega Bank incoming transfer fee (including intermediary fee): US$18.16

So your fee of NT$814 seems a bit higher than what I paid for a larger amount. It’s odd that you quote the fees in TWD - did you transfer directly into a TWD account or use a multicurrency one? That might make a difference.

Also, some of the fees, in particular the intermediary bank fee, are often fixed, at least within a certain range. So your relative fee would probably be decreased by doing larger but less frequent transfers.

1 Like

Also see that thread - more discussion about SWIFT and fees there: Wise (formerly TransferWise) and that one: Banks with low fees for incoming SWIFT transfers for foreign currencies?