Internet service around Hsinpu?

Where can I find information on Internet service at farm outside Hsinpu? (Tech advice questions too.) We’ve been living in the city for a long time so the whole internet at the farm thing is new to us.
Chunghwa MOD gave us a download speed estimate of 6MB which is ridiculous. So I’m looking for reliable DSL Internet service at a higher speed. Here’s a list of my concerns:

1. If US sports channels are in the mix I won’t complain either ;). I’d like to watch World Cup and NCAA basketball tournaments.
  2. The Internet service through satellite could be an option if its affordable. Anyone have info on this?
  3. We usually watch films both US and foreign so English subtitles would be nice.
  4. Our current network is Apple so I’m thinking of getting an Apple TV to stream films between the iMac and TV in the living room. Signal would travel through dry wall at a distance between iMac and TV of 10m. Do all TV’s play nice with Apple Network? Any sound bar suggestions? I’m thinking AudioEngine or Boze.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Have you asked your internet provider what is available in the area you plan to move to? They should know. Maybe the 4G network covers the area.

Maybe Chungua Telecom put in basic ADSL?

In the mountains I’ve seen some houses with Chungua Telecom satellite dishes.
They looked kind of old and according to members of this forum they were used for old style cable.

I think you may be the pioneer on this problem. Get a Chinese speaking friend and visit the Telecom offices and see what’s available. Please share what you find out here since moving to a farm in the country seems like a great dream that some people would like to do.
Good luck. Watching.

This post is 5 years old?
Cardinal rule! If you ask for something and find it or give up, please share the results. Don’t just walk away.
Did you get your farm, did you get your TV and the internet?

Yes the farm is growing. DSL is with TBC. Contract is for 200mbps but get 100 over Ethernet. WiFi much slower.

Tricky part of a farm house is the building permit. Learn about that before considering buying property.

That said I’m lucky because the world seems to be going south while Taiwan seems to be doing well, by comparison. We’ve taken some hits over the past few years but we’re good by comparison. Who hasn’t?

4 Likes

Shouldn’t be that difficult to remove that bottleneck.
Is your modem a modem/router combo supplied by TBC?

1 Like

You’re near Xinpu! The center of bantiao production. I’d be eating that stuff every day. :upside_down_face:

Guy