Introduction ... HI!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself, as I am brand new to this site. :smiley: Iā€™m moving to Taiwan in November so that I can study and re-learn my Mandarin & Taiwanese. I lived in Taiwan til I was 6 (Iā€™m now 27) but once I came back to the States I lost most of my language skills, now I am jumping at the opportunity to return.

I am half Chinese/half white, my mom being my Chinese half. She lives in Taipei and I will be staying with her while Iā€™m in Taiwan.

Anyway, not quite sure what else to add ā€¦ just wanted to say HI and Iā€™m looking forward to getting to know yā€™all and making some new friends!

Kin-Ming

Welcome, your Chinese must be deeply imbedded in your subconscious. You will have to go through some heavy-duty primal therapy to get it out. Maybe you will need to relive your birth.

Do they really say ā€œyā€™allā€ in California?

MorganRain, donā€™t mind richardmā€™s comment, heā€™s just a parlor gangster and means no harm. welcome to forumosa.com and hope you have a good trip to your mother country, and your motherā€™s country, too. tell us more about who you are. DISH!

Morgan Rain, is that your real name or is it an alias? Welcome to forumosa. At 27 and single its a good life here. Enjoy.

chou dou fu

MR:

Welcome to this message board, let us know when you arrive and we will def. hang out!
Feel free to ask anything on this board since most ppl here are very friendly.

Keep us posted on ur arrival

• MiakaW

[quote=ā€œMiakaWā€]MR:

Welcome to this message board, let us know when you arrive and we will def. hang out!
Feel free to ask anything on this board since most ppl here are very friendly.

Keep us posted on your arrival

• MiakaW[/quote]

Miaka, I was wondering how long it would take you to chime in. earlier I wanted to tell m.rain to hook up with you, but feared being attacked as sexist and racist. what a sissy i can be some times :!:

Cool.

Chou

Well, Missy, just which ones arenā€™t friendly. You canā€™t just say that ā€œmostā€ of us are friendly, because that makes us wonder which few arenā€™t friendlyā€¦

Cā€™mon, tell.

:wink:

Iā€™m a grumpy old sod

Iā€™ve noticed. Buth then again, takes one to know one, eh?

Chou

Well, I do know who are nice and how arenā€™t. I donā€™t wanna scare MR away since MOST of us on this board are frienly. But hey, its for her to find out, right?! :unamused:

• MiakaW

Okay, Okay, I feel bad for lying so here it goesā€¦

I am a selfish, gold-digger, lying Bit@H, just asked those who had met meā€¦

now finally I get it out of my systemā€¦ I feel soooo much better now! :wink:

Just my type. when you get the gold give me a call.

Chou

Thanks for the warm welcome yā€™all! :laughing: I feel all warm & fuzzy inside now.

I have a couple questions ā€¦ what is a ā€œGuanxiā€?? It says I have 3 of them. Hm ā€¦ and what is that little word under my name, ā€œCia Niaoā€??? What does it all mean? I am baffled ā€¦

Well, letā€™s see ā€¦ to answer a few questions/comments ā€¦

richardm - Iā€™ve never actually heard anyone say yā€™all out here in Cali ā€¦ not quite sure why I insist on writing it, but I always seem to do it. Kinda quirky like that I suppose. :wink:

formosa - Hm ā€¦ what can I dish about me ā€¦ well, like I said, Iā€™m 27, live in California (Los Angeles area, actually about 30 minutes east of LA and I work in downtown LA). Um ā€¦ Iā€™m just a girly-girl livin in her Barbie world ā€¦ haha ā€¦ just kidding. Gosh, Iā€™m really bad at describing myself ā€¦ I must sound like a bore! Well, whatever questions you have ask away, Iā€™ll gladly answer anything!

chodofu - MorganRain is not my real name. Morgan Rain is actually a little 6 year old girl buried near my father. I thought that was the most beautiful name so I stole it evil grin ā€¦ kinda morbid I suppose. But no really, it just reminds me of my dad.

miakaw - Where in Cali are you from??? We should definitely hang out when I get to Taipei! What do you usually do for fun out there?

tigerman - I agree, I think miakaw should tell us whoā€™s not friendly! I need to be in the know!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well guys, I have tons of questions about Taiwan/Taipei so I will be on here pretty often. But before all that why donā€™t yā€™all (damn, I did it again!) tell me about yourselves. Would it be rude of me to ask how old yā€™all (DANG!) are???

Bye for now!

hello and welcomeā€¦
good idea to introduce yourselfā€¦maybe i should have done this tooā€¦ :blush: how impolite of meā€¦

but now itā€™s too late i guessā€¦

Guanxi is a form of ā€˜currencyā€™ we use on forumosa. You get 1 for each post, and 2 for starting a new topic, you can also get more guanxi throught the bank and lottery. You can transfer it to other people, and you can spend to get effects like a avatar (little picture on the left). Cai Niao basically means ā€˜Newbieā€™ as you make more posts, you can rise up the ranks. I think you get a new rank at 10 posts, then 50

Oh, donā€™t mind formosa, heā€™s harmless, just donā€™t sneeze near him :laughing:

My uneducated guess was that Cai Niao means ā€œstill pees.ā€ Cai as in ā€œta cai laiā€ and ā€œniaoā€ as ā€¦ well, just that.

So how about an educated guess by someone else now?

ā€œvegetable birdā€ but donā€™t ask me to explain it.

Oh I see ā€¦ thanks for all the explanations! :laughing:

As someone in the same boat (also 27, born in taiwan moved to southern cali when i was 7), i think youā€™ll definitely get a lot out of your taiwan experience. Learning mandarin has been the biggest help to me in improving my taiwanese. iā€™ll learn a new word or phrase and then find out what word or phrase transfers to in taiwanese. Noticing the differences between the languages also helps me understand taiwanese much better.

Itā€™s lychee season right now. They taste so much better here than anything you can get at ranch 99. and iā€™d advise skipping the pearl milk tea (too filling and rich) and trying out the 5 million other flavors of drinks they have here. other than that, have fun. :slight_smile: