Investing in a CNC machine

The number of chemical plants & refineries in Houston metroplex is mind blowing & the machine shops there have nothing to do with DoD, mostly support for them as well as some ship repair.
The guy could have showed you his accounts

There is definetly money to be made, just need to find a good customer that needs machined parts…

This was just an offer to give some insight into items that should be checked and tested on such equipment.
For some years, I programmed, operated and trained people to use cnc mills.

Anyways, some things that should be factored into the game plan are;
Triple phase power
Air compressor (may also need dryer)
Tooling and holders
Fixturing devices
Maintenance and repair
Band saw or chop saw for stock

Personally, I would envision this best used to create an original product(s) that you would then market. Selling mill time is extremely competitive.
When people job things out, they do so to minimize costs, often jumping from one producer to another to push prices down.

Divide operations into simply stages and sit a low paid flunky on a stool in front of the cycle start button. When his shift is over, he pulls all the chips out and hands the key to Mr.2, who does the same for Mr.3.
8 hour days probably won’t cut it unless you are the only game in town

1 Like

My shop has 3 phase power so we’re covered in that front. May need to replace the main breaker with something bigger than 50 amp though.

It’s one reason why I have that shop. I need 3 phase.

Right now I have access to the neighbors compressor but I use it to run air tools. I will probably have to buy my own and dryer should I buy this machine. But an air compressor and dryer is nothing compared to the cost of a cnc.