Investing my savings in Taiwan

Would a Taiwan local bank branch be able to sell a foreigner (like me) any investments?

My investments/savings will be fairly modest (cram school teacher salary).

Any suggestions?

I am also interested in buying some shares in some publicly traded companies on the NYSE.
Is there a brokerage in Taiwan that I could buy that through? There are tonnes of discount online brokerages BUT opening the account generally has restrictions. I am concerned about meeting the restrictions of opening an online investing account with a Taiwanese brokerage/bank AND the online web site language barrier.

Thanks.

Have you tried Robinhood? No fees and has a wide range of stocks and ETFs. Bonds I’m not sure of. And they are getting ready to roll out a money market account.

Let me know if you have question about using it.

1 Like

Lol. What kind of name is “Robinhood” for an investing app? Will they steal your money and give it to charity if you do too well?

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t you just do Interactive Traders?

Oh you got jokes but didn’t read the website?:wink:

They soon decided it was more important to build products that would provide everyone with access to the financial markets, not just the wealthy. Two years after heading to New York, they moved back to California and built Robinhood—a company that leverages technology to encourage everyone to participate in our financial system.

1 Like

Here is the link if you are interested:

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/home.php

tdameritrade is an American broker that can be used regardless of nationality.

They sound like bitcoiners…

I heard of Robinhood before. Quick research and I came out with this: :grin:

btw. it is only for Americans

3 Likes

Oh I do remember that password issue at the time come to think of it. From memory from the scuttlebutt at the time, user passwords were being accidently logged out into a log file somewhere internally. To be fair - it has probably happened at your bank and you just didn’t hear about it :wink: .

1 Like

yes and no.
if you are a legal resident in Taiwan you can open a bank account with investment and trading options.
but - language barrier will be an issue, and from my experience, a foreigner opening an account that is more than a current account and ATM card will cause too much ma-fan to the clerks, so probably they will tell you that they cant do it for you since you are a foreigner.

your best chance will be to
A. Insist that they can and ask them to call someone and ask how its done
B. go to an international bank like HSBC where chances are they are more aware of the options.

you might want to check the option of doing this through a bank in your home country, if you dont plan to live in TW forever, you might consider investing through your home country, it will preempt the need to repatriate funds when you leave TW.

1 Like

Please for the love of god don’t get this poor guy hooked on iLeader. I’ve lost millions NT.

You can also try this but 25k USD min. You don’t have to be a US citizen
https://international.schwab.com/public/international/nn/open_an_account

I’m in Robinhood no issues so far. Didn’t hear about the password issue but thanks for pointing out the limitations. I would have forgotten about SSI and some of the other stuff.

But note that I did try to help. So can I get a 1/2 of a gold star or sumthin’?:wink: