Investments/saving for retirement

My bank in Canada will not let me buy any investments because I currently do not live in Canada.

Any advice on where I can invest my modest savings from the money I have saved from teaching here?

Ways to invest in both Canada and Taiwan are appreciated (looking for blue chip/low risk).

Thanks!

I dont understand why they block you from investing, why do they care?
in any case, you can open a brokerage account with a bank like HSBC or an online broker like interactive brokers and invest from here.

Do you already have an investment account with them? Or are you trying to open a new one? Just curious. When I talked with RBC concerning non-residents and their investment accounts, they said as long as you had them before you left, you are fine. That, and if you wanted to own mutual funds, you could buy any additional units after you left, but any you previously owned were fine. ETFs, equities, etc., they said we’re fine for trading, as long as your account was open before you left.

Otherwise, just use Interactive Brokers. Just pay attention to possible taxes owed to Taiwan for dividends and interest earned ( capital gains are tax free if you are not a tax resident of Canada, and only a tax resident of Taiwan).