Investors

I understand there is an entrepreneur’s meeting that periodically takes place in Taipei…I support the idea and think it’s great someone has taken the initiative…However, from what I’ve heard, these meetings are very general and are open to anyone with even the slightest interest in taking on a venture…Is there a more exclusive circle of actual investors (foreign) that meet specifically to hear and propose investments?..Again, the entrepreneur meetings sound great but I’m more interested in hearing someone’s business plan as a proposal rather than talking about how to make one…much appreciated

I would also be interested in this kind of forum or event. Taiwan is really a country of entrepeneurs so I would think there would be many interesting opportunities here, both local and foreign, to take part in.

The problem is that you need someone to vet it and vouch for it.

We saw this happen a few years ago when a foreigner wanted to open some kind of radio station and suckered a few people. Their was the Turkish guy, too that Ironlady has talked about. Then we recently had the whole satellite TV thing, the situation not the poster. Then as an entrepeneur, how do you protect yourself from people stealing your idea.

An example of possible screw ups:
Say Chewycorns comes up with a radical new way to spot drugs using unemployed Canadian stoners to interdict drugs coming into or going out of Taiwan. I decide I can to trash the non-disclosure agreement in English that almost no Taiwanese judge would or will enforce and employ much cheaper American trailer park trash.

If you are going to lend money to or invest in someone, you are taking a significant risk even before you take a look at their business plan. The problem is one of enforcement.

The same could be said of any investment, check before you invest.

I doubt that any VCs are hanging around an internet chat forum. But hey, who knows?

If you want VC’s to invest, better go look for them, especially in the current financial climate they won’t come look for you.

Think the OP was suggesting that they are a VC or Angel - i.e. they are looking to invest. In other words if anyone is looking for finance here is exactly the place they need to be. Surely?

I appreciate everyone’s replies. I’m speaking from two perspectives…

1. as an angel with an open ear to small business proposals.
  2. as an operator seeking venture capital for larger business.
    Thank you again.

Did you just describe yourself as an “angel”?

Sorry to be cynical but I have looked for small investment projects < $1.5m over the past few years and found nothing particularly worthy. Maybe you will have better luck than me.

I also tried to find inward investment for our company to expand and didn’t get very far at all. Doesn’t seem to be much going on at either end of the VC game in Taiwan.

[quote=“llary”]Sorry to be cynical but I have looked for small investment projects < $1.5m over the past few years and found nothing particularly worthy. Maybe you will have better luck than me.

I also tried to find inward investment for our company to expand and didn’t get very far at all. Doesn’t seem to be much going on at either end of the VC game in Taiwan.[/quote]I don’t think it’s particularly cynical due to the fact that monay can be borrowed relatively easily in Taiwan. Whether it’s the pawn shop, classmates or your own family, Taiwan is awash in cash. Due to the nature of govt economic policy, most business is export oriented. You also run into problems I outlined in an earlier post.