iPhone 5. The biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone..?

It’s here.

And I think I might want one.

Oh, and new earphones too.

And to echo Intel’s thunderbolt port, Apple is introducing their new “lightning” dock connectors.

And, and, it also comes in white. Yay

What else? Well,

Wait… wasn’t it already 8 megapixels? Oh right, now we have panorama. What a breakthrough.

Now I do see this one being useful.

Yep.

“Buy us!” -Siri

Oh look another iPhone. Oh look another smartphone that looks like every other smartphone and does about the same thing.

Snoooooze.

soon as you buy one Apple is making plans for one that will make this one so yesterday.

Its like a computer, buy only the specs you need, use it , get your moneys worth and then upgrade.

I have never had an apple product (i will admit they are better then their competition usually) because of this higher price problem (oh if i had oodles of disposable income).

I went from extremely dumb fone to android when the price for the 3G became right at 99 dollars. USed it for a few years till now 4G is available for 180 dollars (alright thats almost double 99 ). My new fone is better, faster. But I wouldnt have bought it if it wasnt 180.

Maybe they will give nice deals on iphone4 now, but then you will still have 3G and 4G LDE is bout ten times faster.

Oh look, another new connector. A new dock! great, now we’ll all have to buy yet another set of peripherals. Stunning business plan, Apple.

Just like the fractionally smaller new power adaptor on your new MacBooks.

Well their business plan is working well for them so far. Most valuable company in the stock market. HOrdes of apple users who are dying to spend more money for new products, and peripherals. More money to be thrown no matter the cost , at new and improved this and that.

Its a fantastic business plan. Apple users wont go anywhere else for their latest gadget fix.

And they have new apple junkies everyday.

Now it is about maximizing profits and not taking risks, in terms of generating immediate boatloads of cash it is a very good plan, however their days at the top are numbered now. The whole smartphone wow thing will also run it’s course somewhat when practically everybody has one.

for a company that once introduced genuinely revolutionary products successive iPhone releases are just getting more and more boring.

Meet the new phone. Same as the old phone.

[quote=“pungnan”]for a company that once introduced genuinely revolutionary products successive iPhone releases are just getting more and more boring.

Meet the new phone. Same as the old phone.[/quote]

But they moved two screws! How can you say that?

Also, a reporter from the Shanghai Evening post went undercover and made an article about the working conditions in the Foxconn factory where the iPhone 5 is being assembled. Good to know how Apple keeps its promises about better working environment.

stumbleupon.com/su/1n7Iy7/in … n-factory/

You’re right! Sorry. I take it all back. :wink:

Meet the new phone. Same as the old phone (except the screw position).

I think the real story here is the ridiculous amount of press coverage any new Apple release gets. With all the things going on in the world today there are literally hundreds of hours of TV and thousands upon thousands of words being devoted to talking about a ‘new’ mobile phone. That’s right, a ‘new’ mobile phone.

This post included…oh the irony

Foxconn is the new hell on earth it would seem.

(albeit other factories in China are equally hellish)

My LG smartfone was likely made by slaves too, just like the iphone.

[quote=“pungnan”]
I think the real story here is the ridiculous amount of press coverage any new Apple release gets. With all the things going on in the world today there are literally hundreds of hours of TV and thousands upon thousands of words being devoted to talking about a ‘new’ mobile phone. That’s right, a ‘new’ mobile phone.

This post included…oh the irony[/quote]

if there wasn’t a demand, there wouldn’t be a supply. the medias are only covering the news because their viewers/readers want to consume it. like any industry the media is about the money and they are selling information. if people didn’t want to hear no mo’ about them darn iproducts, then there would be little to none coverage. they are just providing what people want.

simple as that.

[quote=“tommy525”]Foxconn is the new hell on earth it would seem.

(albeit other factories in China are equally hellish)

My LG smartfone was likely made by slaves too, just like the iphone.[/quote]
slaves, or labor camp workers?

That same line is trotted out by the gutter press every time someone criticises the poor quality, lowest-common-denominator content of most news coverage. “We’re just giving the readers what they want”.

Utter rubbish in my opinion.

[quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“pungnan”]

This post included…oh the irony[/quote]

if there wasn’t a demand, there wouldn’t be a supply. the medias are only covering the news because their viewers/readers want to consume it. like any industry the media is about the money and they are selling information. if people didn’t want to hear no mo’ about them darn iproducts, then there would be little to none coverage. they are just providing what people want.

simple as that.[/quote]

It’s not as simple as that. The media people loved Apple before the general public loved Apple. Apple leveraged this extraordinarily well and gained a huge advantage over competitors, in some years paying for almost NO advertising! They also got a very easy run of it for years from the media, only over the last two years has any real coverage been given to working conditions in the factories that assemble their products.

It’s also very easy to cover a story like that…ubiquitous products, easy to understand, copy and paste from press releases, attend a conference and write it up. Easy peasy.

The interesting part for me is the sheer adulation they got from media types, who would usually be borderline anti monolithic corporations at best. The lack of coverage given to their competitors, such as HTC and Samsung, who often put out better phones, also says a lot. But Samsung is benefiting from the blowback effect of all this Apple adulation and ubiquity, the droning consumer masses need to invest their energy in a brand instead of a religion these days and Samsung will gladly give them what they want too.

That same line is trotted out by the gutter press every time someone criticises the poor quality, lowest-common-denominator content of most news coverage. “We’re just giving the readers what they want”.

Utter rubbish in my opinion.[/quote]
then thank goodness viewing them ISN’T mandatory by law, then. am I right, or am I right? I’m sure you know how to vote with your wallet and not buy apple products to make yourself happy, just like the hundreds of millions of people who own an igadget. do what makes you smile— that’s what life’s about!

No life is about a lot more than that for most people in the world. Do what makes me smile?!?

this is getting :offtopic: , but yes. the main theme of life is the pursuit of happiness. survival, on the other hand, is a separate matter.

I am not actually anti-Apple products in the slightest and have owned a couple. I think in many ways Apple products are great, I just won’t be rushing to but a new iPhone. That was not my point. My point is that the news coverage is laughable/lazy.

Yes, of course people don’t HAVE to watch it, but when it’s on EVERY channel 24 hours a day then most people will. Path of least resistance and all that.

The global media seems hell-bent on a race to the bottom where very thin content is just regurgitated across multiple channels with very little critical effort involved.

Anwyay agree this is rather off-topic and will now shut-up :slight_smile:

What makes one phone “better” than the other? Higher spec features? Or just giving customers what they want? If it’s the latter, then Apple does a pretty good job.

[quote]Phone owners continue to be the most satisfied smartphone customers of all, at least according to new survey results from J.D. Power and Associates.

For the eighth time in a row, Apple’s flagship phone took home top honors for customer satisfaction. Ranking 849 out of 1,000, the iPhone shined in all of the categories tallied by J.D. Power but scored especially well in physical design and overall ease of use.

Based on two separate studies, the results revealed consumer satisfaction with both feature phones and smartphones in performance, ease of operation, physical design, and features. Only the order of importance for each aspect differed slightly between feature phones and smartphones.

Among smartphone makers, HTC took second place with a score of 790, followed closely by Samsung with 782 and Motorola with 777. Among feature phone makers, LG took the top spot with a score of 726, performing well in all four of the factors measured by J.D. Power. Samsung followed by scoring 713.[/quote]

The type of brand loyalty so many users have for Apple seems rare for any company in any industry. They must be doing something right.

4G LTE, practically useless in Taiwan since there isn’t any 4G LTE services in Taiwan.

As for faster processor, its not like I run intensive apps on a smartphone… that’s what desktop computers are for.

I think I’ll keep my iphone 4 until it breaks…