iPhone 5

So later this week (early Thurs morning Taiwan time) we should learn more about the iPhone 5 (assuming that’s what they call it) and whether it’s worth upgrading to. If the rumor sites are correct, then we can expect:

4 inch screen
LTE (not applicable in Taiwan)
Smaller dock connector
iOS 6
Faster processor
Better camera

Here’s a video to get you in the mood for the launch

Or, you could just buy a Samsung. According to Apple, they’re substantially the same, but cheaper. :roflmao:

I don’t think it will be worth to upgrade, even for users of the (now) old iphone 4.

And io6, they skip youtube (ok, can live with that), but more important they will
skip google-maps and replace it with its own navigation (was it TomTom?).

What’s the point of that “bigger screen” ? Just longer, so it saves some scrolling down,
that’s it. Mine JB anyway, so already got 5 icons in a row …

iphone 4 still runs smooth, really don’t understand the hype for double or quadro
processors, but well, I am not into the newest (silly) games anyway …

Regarding iphone, sorry, it seems Apple will loose its way, but I guess, people will
buy it anyway. But from objectiv view, they seem not to be that innovativ anymore.

I don’t think Samsungs are any cheaper than the iPhone (at least the top end ones).

Regarding the bigger screen on the iPhone 5, I think the main reason is so that they have space for a bigger battery. They’ve also reduced the size of the dock connector and SIM card for this reason as well. The bigger battery will crucial for LTE, but I suppose it won’t hurt for 3G users either.

Regarding innovation, yes it seems that this newer phone is just incrementally better than the previous ones. Then again, they have set expectations so high that it’s practically impossible to please everyone with each new version. I do think that a lot of people have been holding out for this phone (as they do each year), so it’ll sell like hotcakes no matter what it has or doesn’t have.

I keep trying to figure out what I want them to add. I plan to get an iPhone 5 in a few months, because my 3GS is getting less and less responsive, but I can’t really think of many other things I want it to do. The limitations right now are processing speed and download/upload speed, not what the phone itself can actually do. Siri sounds cool enough I suppose, but isn’t something I have much interest in using.

But I admit the changeover to Apple’s own maps system has me worried. I fear that, like Siri, it’ll work well in the United States but be rather hopeless elsewhere.

The main thing I want from Apple right now is better integration of their photo applications, so I can add metadata and classify photos on the iPad rather than just on my computer.

Oh, and they need to do something about the sandboxing with apps and documents. The fact that I have to add the same PDF to my iPhone three different times, and in three different “places”, if I want to use it with three different apps, is absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, so far the new map system in iOS6 doesn’t look very good for English users in Taiwan. They use the same convoluted pinyin system that Microsoft uses for Bing. We’d also lose street view unless they develop their own. This issue would affect all users who upgrade to iOS6, not just iPhone 5 users.

Out as expected …
My contract will expire around same time this new gadget will arrive here in TW.
Already make up my mind, will get the cheapest all-you-ca-eat and stick with current
“4” for another 2 years.
Might consider to buy “5” then in late 2014, but the “shit” is, that once “5s” or “6” will
be out, this company always just offer 8GB for older models. Brilliant marketing …

[quote=“MoTi”]Out as expected …
My contract will expire around same time this new gadget will arrive here in TW.
Already make up my mind, will get the cheapest all-you-ca-eat and stick with current
“4” for another 2 years.
Might consider to buy “5” then in late 2014, but the “shit” is, that once “5s” or “6” will
be out, this company always just offer 8GB for older models. Brilliant marketing …[/quote]
If you’re going to sign a new 2 year contract, isn’t it a better deal to get a new phone? You would pay the same price each month, but could get a heavy discount on a new phone versus nothing to stay with your existing phone (which you might be able to sell for a few bucks). Correct me if I’m wrong.

bump

:blush: is that not what to shout to integrate 2 threads in one ?
While Adam was faster, I prefer the other one with photos :thumbsup:

Oh - I will order one - as I did with any other model before… Yep -I became an apple junkie :s

The other thread seems to be more of a discussion of whether iPhones are right or wrong, whereas this thread should be info on the device itself, where to buy it etc.

Google already announced that they’re gonna put out their own standalone maps app for iOS though they didn’t say when.

True, their YouTube app looks pretty good. However many apps that use maps in them (like my own food photo directory app for example) will presumably have to switch to Apple’s map system.