iPhone Flashcards?

For what it’s worth I’ve been pleased with this program:

Panda Flashcards
itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … 39996&mt=8

you can make your own wordlists in it which is helpful although the dictionary isn’t cc-cedict for some reason.

Jmk

I just hit a free open-source IPhone app called Karatasi that advertises a Perl script that will import your SuperMemo pdbs into it. THAT would be great – but I can’t figure out how to do it since I know nothing at all about Perl. Can any of the technically-minded here give us some guidance? I think there are quite a few folks with thousands of cards tied up in SuperMemo and the Palm OS who would like to switch to iPhone without re-inputting.

Thanks ironlady. I’d be curious to know, also, if non-engineers can use supermemo on an iphone.

I’m also surprised no one mentioned iflipr. Has anyone used it?
iflipr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=73pITTYryXw

I’ve recently resumed my chinese lessons, using the TLI books – pinyin only, no characters – and hope to buy a mechanical device (eg., iphone) and software (eg., supermemo, iflipr, etc) to start doing flashcards.

Hi,

I have purchaised the new iPhone flashcards app: xCards and quite impressed. Good word sets, possibility to have your own set. It supports 42 languages using google translate (Chinese included). Free xCards Lite is also available.
Sometime translations are bizzare, but you can fix it inside the app.

You can check video at: arlexsoft.com/?p=133
AppStore link: itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … 40460&mt=8

-Alex

So, has anyone figured out yet how to put Supermemo on an iPhone?

That’s exactly what I want. Hell, I don’t even need the character. I’d settle for just pinyin v. English if I could find it. So far no luck though.

I’m working on such a concept, but it is still months from release, since it would be a website / app combination. Users could log on to the website and manage their word lists and test settings. The app would then download the user tests and their settings from the site.

I can post updates on here for anyone who wants to test it out. The website version should be finished later this month. I’ll then begin the mobile app version after that.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Thanks ironlady. I’d be curious to know, also, if non-engineers can use supermemo on an iphone.

I’m also surprised no one mentioned iflipr. Has anyone used it?
iflipr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=73pITTYryXw

I’ve recently resumed my Chinese lessons, using the TLI books – pinyin only, no characters – and hope to buy a mechanical device (eg., iphone) and software (eg., supermemo, iflipr, etc) to start doing flashcards.[/quote]
Why not Anki?
viewtopic.php?p=934920#p934920

[quote=“ironlady”]I just hit a free open-source IPhone app called Karatasi that advertises a Perl script that will import your SuperMemo pdbs into it. THAT would be great – but I can’t figure out how to do it since I know nothing at all about Perl. Can any of the technically-minded here give us some guidance? I think there are quite a few folks with thousands of cards tied up in SuperMemo and the Palm OS who would like to switch to iPhone without re-inputting.[/quote]I ran a similar Perl script once (PDB to some kind of XML). I don’t imagine you’ll need to know any Perl to run that one. But as well as downloading Perl, you might have to build something with NMake. I don’t know much about that stuff but I followed the instructions provided with the script and some more I found on the Internet, and eventually it worked.

I’m a Mnemosyne user myself (mnemosyne-proj.org/) and I needed a way to review and study on the go, but there weren’t any apps for the iPhone/iPod touch, so I decided to write one myself, called iSRS. Check it out:

iSRS Lite
itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … 50042&mt=8

iSRS
itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … 52818&mt=8

I’m using a free dictionary called DianHua Dictionary by JSQ, LLC. It uses the CC-Cedict dictionary, and has bookmarking and flash card functions incorporated into it.
Once you find a word, it allows you to add that word to a bookmark file. You create your own bookmark files. So for example I have bookmarks called Food, Adjectives, Body Parts, Verbs, People, etc.
Once you have a set of words bookmarked, you can run the flash cards function. These can be set up any way you like, ie. Traditional Characters on the front, Pinyin on the back, or Characters and Pinyin on the front, English definition on the back, just Pinyin and English, etc.
Did I mention that it’s free? There’s also a paid version that includes audio pronunciation for many of the words.

I second the suggestion for Study Arcade. It lets you download hundreds of words from HSK lists for free, and you can “earn” another free set of cards every time you review a certain number of your existing cards. You can choose traditional or simplified characters. I features a super-memo 2 spaced repetition algorithm. It’s interoperable with vocab lists from ChinesePod and Anki, too.

bump…can anyone help with instructions about how to use the existing script to move SuperMemo flashcards to Memosyne? Please?? :pray:

[quote=“ironlady”]bump…can anyone help with instructions about how to use the existing script to move SuperMemo flashcards to Memosyne? Please?? :pray:[/quote]I’m not sure whether you saw my offer of help (and my question) in the other thread. I have actually run the script, after all, though not on a Mac. You’ll need to let me know exactly how far you’ve got. (The encoding problem, as far as I can see, is not a problem of the script itself but just something to do with the way that Chinese is encoded in the original PDBs.)

OK, this is the best I can do for now. Let me know which of the following stages is giving you trouble:

[ol][li]Download and install Perl (>=v5.8, ActiveState).[/li]
[li]Download, build and install the Palm modules for Perl (view the readme to see how).[/li]
[li]Download smconv.pl and put it in your main hard drive partition, the one with all your installed programs (didn’t seem to work on other partitions for me).[/li]
[li]Put your PDB files in the same directory as you put smconv.pl.[/li]
[li]Run smconv.pl, following the instructions in the README and EXAMPLES files in the smconv_pl-0.0.3a folder.[/li]
[li]Figure out what kind of encoding conversion you need to do on the PDBs or the script output to get Chinese characters into Unicode, and then let me know what you did :wink:. The INSTALL file in the smconv_pl-0.0.3a folder may provide a hint.[/li]
[li]Import the converted files into Mnemosyne. On the current version (1.2.1) it’s File > Import and make sure the file format is set to Supermemo for Palm through smconv.pl.[/li][/ol]

Probably step 2. I downloaded and installed ActivePerl and got an “OK” message back. I tried to follow the instructions on the Palm modules, but got only through the second step; the third step returned an error.

The problem is that I have no background at all in running command-line stuff on the Mac. I don’t know where this stuff is getting installed, I can’t find out where Perl went, and the instructions that are commented “Easy, huh?” by the author, aren’t (for me).

I’m sure it’s something really simple like copying the whole thing into the correct directory or something. But it’s very frustrating.

For anyone who is interested, I recently released a new flash card app called FlashCards++ (visit the website at http://www.iphoneflashcards.com or purchase on the app store for $2.99 at http://bit.ly/iphoneflashcards) which implements the advanced SuperMemo algorithm. I’m a history Phd student myself and have tried almost every flash card app on the app store trying to learn languages, but none of them measured up to what I had experienced with SuperMemo. Some tried to do “spaced repetition” but used a highly simplified version of the SuperMemo algorithm. Anyway I am very open to suggestions for features and will be releasing an update shortly with lots of new features. My goal is to keep the app updated and competitive with other flash card apps.

Good luck with your studying! I hope that my app can be helpful to you all.

One of my husband’s friends makes i-phone applications, and has the following for learning Chinese, some for adults, some for kids, as well as others. I don’t have an i-phone and I haven’t used these utilities, so they don’t come with any recommendation from me. Just passing on a link…

http://www.xutility.net/node/1

[quote=“phonepro”]For anyone who is interested, I recently released a new flash card app called FlashCards++ (visit the website at http://www.iphoneflashcards.com or purchase on the app store for $2.99 at http://bit.ly/iphoneflashcards) which implements the advanced SuperMemo algorithm. I’m a history Phd student myself and have tried almost every flash card app on the app store trying to learn languages, but none of them measured up to what I had experienced with SuperMemo. Some tried to do “spaced repetition” but used a highly simplified version of the SuperMemo algorithm. Anyway I am very open to suggestions for features and will be releasing an update shortly with lots of new features. My goal is to keep the app updated and competitive with other flash card apps.

Good luck with your studying! I hope that my app can be helpful to you all.[/quote]

To get me to switch from orangeorapple.com’s Flashcards Deluxe, I would need to have the ability to include sound or picture files on the flashcards, and the ability to display three- (or more-) sided cards. I do like the implementation of the SuperMemo self-rating system, which is much more flexible than a simple “I knew it” or “I didn’t”, but right now the selling point for orangeorapple.com is that I can make up a list of cards as a text file, with the URL for a sound or picture file as one of the “sides”, and just upload the file to their server using a script he has available there. I (or anyone else who has the deck code) can then download that card set to their own device using a wireless network.

I don’t particularly care about sound capabilities for my own Chinese study, but I do for my students and for studying other languages I am not very fluent in.

[quote=“asiababy”]One of my husband’s friends makes i-phone applications, and has the following for learning Chinese, some for adults, some for kids, as well as others. I don’t have an i-phone and I haven’t used these utilities, so they don’t come with any recommendation from me. Just passing on a link…

http://www.xutility.net/node/1[/quote]

This is not a flashcard app. Maybe your husband’s friend could start a separate thread to promote this one instead, if he wants to.

Clavis Sinica has just released a new Chinese flashcards app for iPhone. It has several interesting features that distinguish it from some of the other available flashcard programs. Instead of simply saying you “know” or “don’t know” a character, you have to show that you know it by selecting the correct pinyin and definition from a series of options. And in addition to characters, it also includes radicals and theme-based sets of word cards. You can find more details at clavisinica.com/iphone-zika.html or search CS Zika on the iTunes store. --David