Ipod accessory for car stereo

A while back I saw an accessory that you plug into your Ipod and you can play it through your car stereo’s radio. I believe it’s an FM transmitter.

Has anyone seen it or used it?

It is no longer on the Apple website.

There were lots of problems associated with those, although I think there are still lots available, check out the ipod accessory sites.
I’ve heard you can pretty much forget about using them in Taiwan, though, the FM bands aren’t regulated here, so it’s tough to find a vacant one for the transmission.

I agree with my learned brother, the chief. Here are the disadvantages of an FM transmitter:

1. It may be illegal in some places (not sure about Taiwan)
  2. The volume is usually low, so you have to turn your radio up, which is a nightmare when you change channel, or lose the signal.
  3. You tend to lose the signal quite regularly in Taiwan (this is the worst part).
  4. Sound quality (not just volume) is pretty crap.

If you still wanna get one, they’re readily available at the computer market (from cheap ones at about 500NT$ to the official ones for a lot more).

Damn. I really want to use it in the car while on road trips.

Is it possible to hook it up through the tape deck?

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]Damn. I really want to use it in the car while on road trips.

Is it possible to hook it up through the tape deck?[/quote]

It’s not just possible, it’s pretty easy if you aren’t scared of digging around the back bits.
:google:
I’ve seen loads of sites that tell how, but I can’t recall any offhand.
Could start here:
http://www.ipodlounge.com

scoutingaround.com/computers/ipod/ipod.html

You can use one of those tape deck hook-up thingamajigies.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]http://www.scoutingaround.com/computers/ipod/ipod.html

You can use one of those tape deck hook-up thingamajigies.[/quote]I used to use one of those with a CD player. It worked pretty well, the sound was fine, to my cheap ears at least.

Yeah, if you have a cassette player, go with the cassette adaptor. Unforunately our car stereo only has radio or CD (and no handy connectors round the back either). :frowning: