iRent

This. I’ve got 139 points. The scooter rides add up nicely.

I plan to use iRent for the first time tomorrow night after picking up my Taiwan license. I have some questions about how it works:

• I understand that I also pay per KM, but what if the car needs refueling whilst I’m driving it? Do I have to use the iRent 統編 when buying the fuel and then iRent will refund me the money?

• When finding a parking spot for the car when returning, what are the rules on where I can park? I have seen a few iRent car parks, are those free to park in? What about other non-free parking lots? Is it okay to park there if there is nowhere else to return the car to? In that case who foots the parking bill?

• How does insurance work? Do the rentals come with liability insurance? If I crash into someone else and it’s my fault, is it covered by iRent’s insurance? How about damage to the iRent car itself, does anyone have any straightforward information?

• Do iRent’s have cameras?

• Do they have phone holders so I can set up Google Maps or should I bring my own?

• Do iRent cars with baby seats exist? If so what is the fee?

I think there should be a card inside the vehicle you can use at some gas stations (CPC, I think?) to pay for the fuel. Note that there is a minimum gas level for returning (1/4, I think) - if it’s less than that, you need to refill before returning the car.

You can check the app which parking spaces are available for returning the car. In addition, public street parking should also be possible (iRent will pay for the parking fees after returning the car - if you park while renting, you’ll need to pay).

Note that there are also parking spaces where you can park while renting with automatic deduction of the parking fee from your iRent account (which are also shown in the app). You won’t be able to return the car on most of those, however!

Also, there are two different types of vehicles: Some have to be returned to the place where you rent them. Be sure to rent the right type of vehicle if you want to return at another place!

Also, when renting one of the iRents which needs to be returned at the same place, you need to choose a time of return when renting it. If you miss that time, there will be penalties! On the other hand, it’s no issue to return earlier - you’ll only be charged for the time actually using the car. So make sure to choose a time which is later than the latest time you plan on returning the car.

You get the mandatory liability insurance. Before renting, you can opt for an additional insurance package which covers damage to the iRent itself (but is rather pricey as it’s charged by hour). If you hit an expensive car, you’ll be out of luck AFAIK.

Nope. Unless they’re well hidden.

Some of them have, other’s dont.

I have never seen a baby seat inside an iRent. But not sure if some cars have one.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your answers. For this mandatory liability insurance, do you know what is covered in this?

1 Like

I think it’s actually more than the minimum:

1 Like

Thanks!

No , You only have to give the Fuel card to the gas station attendant and tell him how much you want to refuel and sign a receipt (keep the receipt to yourself)

Yeah they have a phone holder , but I think is better to bring your own

Also is a good idea to bring your own USB Car Charger

Pics source and more info:

2 Likes

Also, keep in mind you don’t get charged at all for filling up with gas. They charge by time and distance automatically. So if needing gas, fill up and give them the card. Only thing you lose out on is time to refill.

2 Likes

Have you already successfully registered? If not you’ll need to provide pics of your ARC and license in the app and then wait for verification, not sure if there is a bricks and motar place you can go to to have it handled by a person.

1 Like

I registered with my ARC last week, but can’t actually rent till I upload my license tomorrow. If it takes a while to verify that’s fine, there is no hurry to drive

1 Like

Important to know:

• Do not be late picking up your car. You can pick it up early (not sure how early), but not a second late. And they give you penalty points for being late.

• You can extend your time, but I think maybe not once there’s only an hour left, or maybe you can only extend once.

• If you take the car back early, you only get charged for the time used. There doesn’t seem to be any reason not to give yourself plenty of extra time when booking.

• Some don’t have phone holders or USB charging ports

as long as no one else is using the car, you can pick it up starting from 30 mins before your scheduled time.

as long as no one has booked it agter you, you can extend the car rental in 1 hour increments.

Hi, I just saw this thread.
May I know how did they gave you the points so you can return to 60?

I called them and since I had no idea about the system at all they helped me out

I see, worth trying
thanks