iRent

Successfully signed up for iRent (car), but haven’t be brave enough to try and use it yet. Thing that concerns me is the small print on insurance and the possibility of being hit with a huge bill if somebody crashes into the vehicle between me returning it and the next person renting…

I couldn’t because they require a Taiwanese driver’s license. So I assume you have one? Or did you find a way without one?

Did you do it through the ap or in person?

Video when you return it?

I managed to convert the Japanese license I have, quite simple but a few steps to walk through (Japanese translation at NTD 580 and then the standard medical exam which whilst relatively time consuming was conducted with typical Taiwanese good humour and was therefore an experience rather than a trial). I could also have converted my HK license, but the HK office in Taipei told me to go to the Taiwan office in Hong Kong to get it validated which was obviously very helpful.

Did it via the app with my wife’s help. Seems to all be in order. I guess video on return is the best way to go as you suggest, my naturally suspicious nature makes me concerned that there could still be a dispute, but I guess one has to give people the benefit of the doubt!

1 Like

Can ask the procedure in one of their offices. I know you’re supposed to check/video when picking up and inform them of any damage immediately.

The app also asks you to make photos at the end of rental period

1 Like

Anyone here use this much? I use it all the time, renting a car. It’s always been 110/hr for a car, but here for the last two weeks or so they want 230/hr :dizzy_face: Even right now, not a weekend or anything. That’s a huge price jump…

You separately pay per km so it shouldn’t be due to gas prices

I think their website is saying it should be 110 right now, as if that’s a special rate for July-Sept, but 1. it was always 110, for the whole year I’ve been using it, and 2. It’s charging 230 anyways…

EDIT:
From archive.org in March

i checked my app now and it shows 110 for weekdays, 168 for weekends.

Weird

mine says 110. Maybe best to call them and ask. or LINE them.
there is no call center service in English, but i LINED them in English a few times and it was OK

1 Like

Found the cause after contacting them.

They have a point system and if you go under 60 points you have to pay more. I got -5 points a couple times for returning a car late. The biggest thing tho is two times I got -20, I think for arriving late to get the car and missing the reservation.

Their system is odd tho. If you schedule pickup at 3:00 you can get the car before 3, but even if you’re in the process of taking the photos and stuff and it goes past 3 then it won’t let you take the car and you miss your reservation.

I also just read on their site that if you set the reservation to end at say, 9, and take the car back at 7, you only get charged for the actual time used. I’ve always tried to make it accurate and extend the time a bit when needed, but might as well give myself way too much time for now on

They gave me some points to set it back to 60

4 Likes

Good to know! Did they indicate how to win one’s points back without their charity?!

Slowly. You get +1 point for every completed rental.

You start at 100. At 60 you pay the higher prices. At 50 you get suspended for a month. If your score goes under 50 three times you get banned.

You get points taken away for speeding tickets, parking violations, etc. I’ll post screenshots

1 Like

^ what this should say is Passive Cancellation, not cancelled by ground. I guess this is what I had two of – not arriving on time. But as I say, it’s dumb cause the start time of your reservation is the deadline for picking up, not the time AFTER which you can pick it up. I dunno how early before the start time you can pick it up.

If you think you might not make it, actively cancel it. There’s no deduction if your pickup time was within three hours of when you made the reservation

2 Likes

There is a grace period of 10 or 15 minutes to pick up the car. it doesnt get cancelled immediately.
when the time to pick up the car is near, you will see on your app what is the latest time to pick it up.

Can one get above 100 points?

Nah I’ve had it cancel at exactly the pickup time, while I’m literally taking the pre-pickup photos, going through the pickup procedures.

Yeah, there’s no max limit it says

1 Like

I just looked at mine. I’m at 111 points. Apparently you also get +1 for scooter rentals in addition to car rentals. So maybe if you’re trying to boost your number, occasionally rent scooters which don’t have return time limit.

3 Likes