Is 55,000 a good price for LASIK eye surgery here?

I just went to Dr. Shiao (sp?) eye clinic on Tien Mu Rd. They did the test to see if I was a good candidate for Lasik eye surgery, which I was.

They quoted me for 55,000 for the whole procedure (plus another 1200 I paid today for the test to see if I would be a good candidate).

I’m not here to worry whether I’ll get the procedure or not, and I know that even 55,000 is cheaper than back home (States). However, I feel that 55,000 is a bit high. I was planning on 45,000 or less. I’ve skimmed these forums to see what other people paid, and saw prices as low as 20,000… that can’t be true, can it? Most of the prices I saw were from posts from 2004, so I didn’t know if prices have raised dramatically or not…

I’m not sure what the going rate for the surgery is in Taiwan, but I’m sure it differs from place to place depending on the equipment they use, who the doctor is, etc.

On a side note, 55,000 is the cheapest I have ever heard of!!! I’m in the UAE and it costs the equivalent of TWD 97,000 here (but I would trust the clinics here a million times more than the clinics in Taiwan).

it might be a good price, depending on what kind of surgery and esp what kind of machine they are using also what kind of after-care you are given for free, etc… there is a lot of competition and you will be a good candidate if you are youngish and the less severe your current prescription so don’t let them make feel you are something special and so talk you into it!

• find out the competition

• do not let them charge you to test if you are a good canditate again

• find out exactly what machines they use

• find out exactly what they will do to you - how will they cut the lens, for example, is very important.

• find out how many successful and un-successful ops they have done.

• find out what after care they will give you. This is very important because the recovery stage is critical for the long term results of your surgery.

• do carefully consider if you are really ready to have your eyes forever changed - your focus will be amazing but it is not only your night vision that will be effected. In fact, much of the light you see in the day time will cause glare. It is as if you exchange sharpness of vision for light handling ability.

I speak from experience, having got LASIK 10 months ago. I suggest having a good think about it. It is so easy to do, but you will have to live with changed vision forever as the side-effects are significant, and will remain, even if the intended effects reverse after 10 years or so.

As for the price, some ppl take the “I’ll spend whatever it takes,” anything for their eyes POV, other’s try to get the cheapest. The price you have been quoted is in the upper end of the scale. If you decide to go through with it make sure you are guaranteed the best aftercare and receive the most up to date tech. I was frustrated that I only got like one checkup post op. The asked me to pay for the others and made me wait in long queues and I had to pay for the eye drops, whereas before and during, I’d got the red carpet treatment. After, they just didn’t want to know.

I had both my eyes done at Da Eye on the corner of Roosevelt Road and Heping East road 6 years ago for NT40 000. By a guy called Dr. Lan (blue). Is there anything special/different about your eyes?

Now, there’s a great scam! I’ll charge you $ to see whether you’re qualified to give me loads more of your money. (generic me)

Damn, I’m in the wrong business!

I went for the lasik surgery at Hsin Ho Mei Eye Clinic about 1 year ago, Cost me $NT 50,000. Charged me $NT 1000 for the pre check, and once i agreed to do it, had to pay the balance, $NT 49,000.
(You can read about the clinic in this post, http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12297&hilit=lasik+eye+surgery%5C&start=90

Overall the service was good, my Doc spoke perfect english, and the assistant who always helped me, pre op / post op checks, spoke reasonably ok english.
I directed all important questions to the doc who answered me perfectly. (try to get the older doc, was more patient and answered questions more politely)

The post op check ups & care was excellent, at no charge. Aprox about 4 to 5 visits, with medication.

Obviously, I care a lot about my eyes, so if the price is cheap but the eye place gives me a bad feeling, I’d rather go some place else, or just not do it at all. Contacts are annoying, yes, but they aren’t THAT terrible. But if the price is low AND I feel safe and confident with the doctor, of course I’d prefer the lower price.

However, I spoke with my dad, who got the surgery in Canada (I’m from MI, so it’s just a 3 hour drive), and he thinks I could get a better deal there. I’d feel more at ease with a staff that spoke fluent English. If I can’t find a good place here with a good price, I might wait until I get home and just get it done in Canada where my father got his done…

I just wish this wasn’t such a gamble! These are my EYES I’m talking about, not just a financial investment.

Oh, and I’m just 23, eye sight not severely bad (contact strength is -2.25), good health. There shouldn’t be any reason I would pay extra for something, I don’t know, like an astigmatism or something.

Well, you said “I’m not here to worry whether I’ll get the procedure or not,” so I’ll not try too much to dissuade you, but since you’re only 23, I hope you won’t mind if a hoary elder points out something you should be aware of: Our vision tends to deteriorate over time, and the LASIK only corrects your vision temporarily. It’s a good bet that five, or perhaps seven years from now, your vision will have changed, and you’ll need glasses again. Would you pay NT$11,000 per year for, say, five years, to go without glasses, and then go back to wearing glasses? If your answer is yes, fine, but I believe that a few people would reconsider upon thinking about that, especially given the pain, inconvenience and risk of the procedure. :2cents:

they expect LASIK to last 10+ years - to wit that means the desired effects (improved focus) I expect the side effects will last forever.

I think that Cheng Hsin General Hospital in Beitou is also an option, I went to have my eyes checked at the Ophthalmology dept. this morning and saw that they have a laser room … I think they offer a better after care than many small ‘high street’ eye laser clinics …

Wasn’t there a recent report that the dr. who did this first refuses to do any more as he deems them unsafe or something?

yeah - I posted that report on this forum.

[url]Top eye surgeon drops support for LASIK

other thread re: LASIK

[url]Laser Eye Surgery