Is Afghanistan worth the trouble?

Hmmmmmm. Miss Afghanistan…

she’s a man…

He’s a woman…

Keep in mind that the selection is pretty limited right now. I doubt 99.44% of the women in Afghanistan even heard of the pageant.

This girl, on the other hand, was spectacularly beautiful:

Sharbat Gula

More at:
magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm … index.html

Trivia Question: What’s wrong with this Reuters’ headline?

Afghanis Say U.S. Chopper Crash Probably Accident

Time’s up.

Afghani is the currency of Afghanistan

Afghans are the people of Afghanistan.

[quote=“Cold Front”]Time’s up.

Afghans are the people of Afghanistan.[/quote]

Isn’t an Afghan also a breed of dog?

[quote=“Jive Turkey”][quote=“Cold Front”]Time’s up.

Afghans are the people of Afghanistan.[/quote]

Isn’t an Afghan also a breed of dog?[/quote]

Yes.

Never Trust Anyone Who Says Afghani

People who live in Afghanistan are not “Afghanis,” but Afghans. “Afghani” is an apparent conflation of “Afghan” with “Pakistani” and reflects the general tendency to confuse Afghanistan with Pakistan. It’s conceivable that people who say “Afghani” are trying to steer clear of the term “Afghan” because it makes them think of a wool coverlet or a large dog, associations that they fear may give offense. Nonetheless, “Afghan” is the correct term.

More on Afghani

This article is a follow-up by Timothy Noah to his previous one, and it shows the issue is a bit more complex than he originally showed. Nevertheless, the correct English term for a native of Afghanistan is “Afghan”.

My Oxford Dictionary lists Afghan, Afghani and Afghanistani as all being correct.

Brian

Correct for what?

As adjectives to describe things from that country or terms for the people themselves. My Oxford Dictionary has an appendix listing all of these.

Brian

Afghanese

Afghanistanese

Perhaps I’m wrong.

Does the OED give any other information on the usages? Examples? Dates? What edition is your dictionary?

I’ve seen Afghanistani, but always used as an adjective.

The American Heritage Dictionary 4th ed.

Afghan – 1. A native or inhabitant of Afghanistan; an Afghani. The plural is Afghanis.

[quote=“Cold Front”]More on Afghani

This article is a follow-up by Timothy Noah to his previous one, and it shows the issue is a bit more complex than he originally showed. Nevertheless, the correct English term for a native of Afghanistan is “Afghan”.[/quote]

RichardM is right. Meanwhile, an Afghan is the name of the dog species or that carpet/rug/woolly sweater thing.

Afghani is a correct term i believe.

You’re not going to start calling us Merriam and Webster are you? If you do, I get to be Webster. :laughing:

Why Kenny,

That was down-right diplomatic of you… Rather than tell CF he was “wrong”, you stated that RichardM was “correct”.

:wink:

Why Kenny,

That was down-right diplomatic of you… Rather than tell CF he was “wrong”, you stated that RichardM was “correct”.

:wink:[/quote]

all in the spirit of our debate etiquette thread there Mr. Virgo. :unamused:

Afghans is a menu item in some Dutch Cafes.

Chou

Richard –

Noah deals with The American Heritage Dictionary definition in the last essay I linked.