Is Cathay United Bank any good?

Seems convenient to be able to use those CUB cash machines in every MRT free of charge.

Their app has no English, despite the App Store saying there is. Their website has English, and it’s not too bad. For the most part their app and website are quite modern. Service in person can vary wildly from branch to branch. Many branches have recently been modernized, and are quite nice. Of all the banks here, they seem to be the most foreigner friendly for credit cards, according to a poll I did in another thread, although some users here have had some bad experiences, and they declined me despite AMEX and Fubon accepting me with exactly the same supporting documents. Saying that, they were polite about declining me, and gave me an ok reason, which was lack of credit history, which was fair since I had only just obtained my other two cards.

In my opinion, it’s a pretty good bank for convenience, their debit card will work basically everywhere, including convenience stores, and as you said, they have ATMs everywhere. They are also not as anti-foreigner as many of the other local banks, such as Bank of Taiwan and Huanan.

3 Likes

Decent conversion rates for foreign currencies, the app is noce although only in Chinese. For cards the easiest it’s the costco visa card, the debit visa card works even on google pay. Convient for the atms at mrt and hilife stores. I would recommend, overall I’m satisfied so far. However, if you don’t speak any Chinese, it might challenging, at the branches very few speak it. On the phone/emails it’s better.