Is Christmas a non-working holiday in Taipei City again?

Christmas aka Constitution Day stopped being a holiday in Taipei 15 years ago. It is “observed” but no longer a non-working holiday.

This year it falls on a Friday. At my parish church in Taipei city, someone said it would be a non-working holiday. So, someone supposedly checked with the city and “confirmed” it would be a holiday. Great … but …

When I checked online for myself, I found calendars like this wisearch.taipei.gov.tw/wise/s.js … &qt=dismax

Can you give me a link to the proper calendar at Taipei City?

I want to plan my year-end travel and flying on or before Christmas could mean a day of work.

[hr][/hr][i]I am leery of talking to government information hotlines, because I was recently burned by one last week: I called the hotline on the immigration.gov.tw website 0800 024 111 to double check a requirement for my APRC renewal, which led me to change and pay for adjustments to a travel schedule; when I showed up at the immigration desk, the officer explained that I was misinformed – that hotline is a contracted 3rd party. I will try to reach the city anyway: contact.taipei.gov.tw/CCLM/CLM/A … 00E_E.aspx

EDIT: below is the confirmation message from what I submitted. Will post if/when they respond[/i]

[quote]Dear Residents,

Thank you for writing to city affairs mailbox. We are honored to have this opportunity to serve you. The system will dispatch a confirmation mail to the email address you’ve provided upon receiving your request (please check in approximately 3~5 minutes after submitting your request).

To ensure the follow-up mails can reach you and to avoid the possibility of typo when entering the email address or misusing others’ email addresses, please click on the “confirm” link upon receiving this mail. You will then receive a mail with an enclosed set of case number and security code. Please keep the mail safe for the purpose of tracking of your case.

Thank you for writing to us. We wish you a good day.
Best Regards,
Taipei City Government [/quote]

It’s not a national holiday, and I doubt Ko P would consider making it a holiday…

I feel the same way

Not a chance! Unless your fellow parishioner works at one of those companies in Taiwan that was originally founded for religious propagation purposes.

Next year is Sunday, so technically speaking it is a holiday, as our employers are so kind as to grant us weekends off -well, some of them are so kind hearted.

And the only relevant calendar is the official government one: dgpa.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=124 … 1358&mp=10

Weekends are holidays in Taiwan! Rejoice!!

[quote=“Icon”]And the only relevant calendar is the official government one: j.mp/taipei-work-cal

It is a work day. As usual.

January 30th of next year is a work day? I’m guessing it’s to make up for a day during CNY.

Really?

Timeanddate.com is obviously not authoritative.

Those calendars at dpga.gov.tw list only the holidays for civil servants, which are also listed here.
law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawA … e=A0030127 (Article 3)

For most of us, the Labor Standards Act applies, so Dec 25 is a holiday.
law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawA … e=N0030002 (Article 23)

And Taipei agrees.
bola.gov.taipei/ct.asp?xItem=435 … &mp=116003

Note the last sentence: “當勞動基準法規定與行政院人事行政局規定有所差異時,事業單位應依勞動基準法之規定。” (When there is a discrepancy between the provisions of the Labor Standards Act and those of the Directorate-General of Personnel Administration of the Executive Yuan, business entities should follow the provisions of the Labor Standards Act.)

If it was a serious burn (I mean something worth suing over), check their website or wherever you got the number for the info line. If the department says something like, “We promise to provide accurate information at this number,” you should have Article 268 of the Civil Code on your side (as long as the promise the provide accurate information is considered an “obligation”). Of course, you would need to have recorded the conversation… :doh:

Really?

Timeanddate.com is obviously not authoritative.

Those calendars at dpga.gov.tw list only the holidays for civil servants, which are also listed here.
law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawA … e=A0030127 (Article 3)

For most of us, the Labor Standards Act applies, so Dec 25 is a holiday.
law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawA … e=N0030002 (Article 23)

And Taipei agrees.
bola.gov.taipei/ct.asp?xItem=435 … &mp=116003

Note the last sentence: “當勞動基準法規定與行政院人事行政局規定有所差異時,事業單位應依勞動基準法之規定。” (When there is a discrepancy between the provisions of the Labor Standards Act and those of the Directorate-General of Personnel Administration of the Executive Yuan, business entities should follow the provisions of the Labor Standards Act.)[/quote]

Please note that English websites here are rarely amended. That link dates to 2009. Oct 31st as holiday? December 25th? Bokolingah!

Remember NIA`s website that lists one address in Chinese and an older one in English? They moved what, 6, 7, 8 years ago?

Furthermore, there are several kinds of holidays. Weekends are one kind of holiday, or so considered. May 1st is also only for laborers and such, for example. Dec. 25th is listed in Chonese link as such to be conmemorated… but not with time off for all as we would assume.

[quote=“Icon”]Please note that English websites here are rarely amended. That link dates to 2009. Oct 31st as holiday? December 25th? Bokolingah!

Remember NIA`s website that lists one address in Chinese and an older one in English? They moved what, 6, 7, 8 years ago?

Furthermore, there are several kinds of holidays. Weekends are one kind of holiday, or so considered. May 1st is also only for laborers and such, for example. Dec. 25th is listed in Chonese link as such to be conmemorated… but not with time off for all as we would assume.[/quote]
Unlike most English pages on government websites in Taiwan, every English document at the Ministry of Justice’s online database of laws and regulations has a little red “Ch” button that links directly to the Chinese version. (Not every Chinese document has a little orange “英” button that links to the English version, because they haven’t translated all of them.) There are discrepancies here and there due to shoddy translation and in some cases due to the English versions not being updated as often as the Chinese versions, but in this case even though the Chinese version is from 2015-10-23 and the English one from 2009-02-27, Article 23 is the same.

[quote=“http://law.moj.gov.tw/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?PCode=N0030002”]第 23 條

本法第三十七條規定應放假之紀念日如左:
一、中華民國開國紀念日 (元月一日) 。
二、和平紀念日 (二月二十八日) 。
三、革命先烈紀念日 (三月二十九日) 。
四、孔子誕辰紀念日 (九月二十八日) 。
五、國慶日 (十月十日) 。
六、先總統 蔣公誕辰紀念日 (十月三十一日) 。
七、國父誕辰紀念日 (十一月十二日) 。
八、行憲紀念日 (十二月二十五日) 。
本法第三十七條所稱勞動節日,係指五月一日勞動節。
本法第三十七條所稱其他由中央主管機關規定應放假之日如左:
一、中華民國開國紀念日之翌日 (元月二日) 。
二、春節 (農曆正月初一至初三) 。
三、婦女節、兒童節合併假日 (民族掃墓節前一日) 。
四、民族掃墓節 (農曆清明節為準) 。
五、端午節 (農曆五月五日) 。
六、中秋節 (農曆八月十五日) 。
七、農曆除夕。
八、台灣光復節 (十月二十五日) 。
九、其他經中央主管機關指定者。
[/quote]

[quote=“http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?PCode=N0030002”]The annual commemorative holidays mentioned in Article 37 of the Act are as follows:
l. Founding Day of the Republic of China (January 1),
2. Peace Memory Day (February 28),
3. Revolutionary Martyrs Day (March 29),
4. Confucius Birthday (September 28),
5. National Independent Day (October 10),
6. President Chiang Kai-shek’s Birthday (October 31),
7. Dr. Sun Yat-sen’s Birthday (November 12), and
8. Constitution Day (December 25).
The Labor Day mentioned in Article 37 of the Act is May 1 Labor Day.
The other holidays mentioned in Article 37 of the Act as set by the Central Competent Authority are the followings:

1. The following day of the Founding Day of the Republic of China (January 2),
  2. Chinese New Year (January 1 to January 3 of the lunar calendar),
  3. Women Day and Children’s Day combined (the day before Tomb Sweeping Day),
  4. Tomb Sweeping Day(Qingming Festival of the lunar calendar),
  5. Dragon Boat Festival (May 5 of the lunar calendar),
  6. Mid-Autumn Festival (August 15 of the lunar calendar),
  7. Chinese New Year’s Eve,
  8. Taiwan’s Restoration Day (October 25), and
  9. Other holidays as designated by the Central Competent Authority.
    [/quote]

Also note the Taipei govt page I cited is from this year:
點閱: 55512 資料更新: 2015/4/9 10:07 資料檢視: 2015/4/9 10:06
資料維護: 臺北市政府勞動局勞動基準科

And also note the first sentence on that page, 依勞基法第37條以及同法施行細則第23條規定,所謂「國定假日」,依序如下:
(In accordance with the provisions of Article 37 of the LSA and Article 23 of the same Act’s Enforcement Rules, so-called “national holidays” are the following, in order:)

The confusion about Oct 31 is understandable because it was supposed to be abolished in 2007. It’s not in the current version of the 紀念日及節日實施辦法 (law.moj.gov.tw/Law/LawSearchResu … 5%E6%97%A5), but it is in the current version of the Enforcement Rules of the Labor Standards Act as quoted above, so as far as labor law goes, it still exists.

Speaking of “labor”, Labor Day is not just for “laborers”. There’s no practical difference between the three categories of holidays listed in Article 23 of the ER (memorial days, Labor Day, and “other designated days”). They all count as holidays (or “days on which leave should occur/應放假之日”) for the purposes of Articles 37 & 39 of the LSA.

[quote=“http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?PCode=N0030001”]Article 37
A worker shall be granted recess on all holidays, the Labor Day and other days prescribed by the Central Competent Authority.

Article 39
Wages shall be paid by an employer to a worker for taking a regular day off under Article 36, a holiday under Article 37 and an annual paid leave under Article 38. When an employer has obtained the consent of a worker to work on a holiday, he/ she shall pay the worker at double the regular rate for such work. This shall also apply where, with the consent of the worker or the labor union, the worker is required to work to meet urgent, seasonal requirements.
[/quote]

[quote=“http://law.moj.gov.tw/LawClass/LawAllIf.aspx?PCode=N0030001”]第 37 條

紀念日、勞動節日及其他由中央主管機關規定應放假之日,均應休假。

第 39 條

第三十六條所定之例假、第三十七條所定之休假及第三十八條所定之特別
休假,工資應由雇主照給。雇主經徵得勞工同意於休假日工作者,工資應
加倍發給。因季節性關係有趕工必要,經勞工或工會同意照常工作者,亦
同。
[/quote]

The word “勞工” is officially translated as “worker” and defined in Article 2 to have the same meaning as employee, no white/blue collar distinction, no part/full time distinction, and while we’re at it, no wage/salary distinction. The only question is whether or not a person is covered by the Act, and for that you need to look up your job (or just ask your local labor dept to look it up for you). Buxiban teachers are covered, and probably most people reading Forumosa are covered.

The Ministry of Labor also lists the same days, along with the various types of leave most people are entitled to, on this page, dated 2015-06-09.

mol.gov.tw/topic/3067/14530/19538/

And if you click on the “勞動基準法施行細則第23條” link from there you get the Enforcement Rules again (laws.mol.gov.tw/Chi/FLAW/FLAWDAT … Cd++%B8%DF), this time at the MOL’s online database, also with the little buttons to swtich languages, though the MOL still has the Chinese version from 2009-02-27 (no difference in Article 23).

So yes, all 17 listed days/festivals are holidays, which should make 19 days in total. May 1 is a holiday, Oct 31 is a holiday, and Dec 25 is a holiday, at least this year. Merry Constitution Day! :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :bravo:

Are you in Taiwan? Those are commemoration days, not days off. May 1st is not for teachers nor white collars.

He did state that the entitlement to the holiday is qualified by the type of worker you are characterized as. He’s done a good job in trying to explain a horrendously complex system. It doesn’t help they the system changes quite often, the most difficult part to understand is how the ‘make-up’ days are designated.

I’m not sure why he is stating ‘holiday’ for constitution day, it’s not a holiday. It hasn’t been a holiday since Taiwan went to the white collar 5 day work week at least. Same for Oct 31st. May the 1st is a holiday for private workers generally. It is not a holiday for civil servants (civil servants being ‘special’ and not regular workers) nor is it a holiday for teachers and students. If between all of us , with our more thorough understanding of this than most, can’t really nail it down completely, you know it’s a mess!

Interestingly the system for blue collar workers has just changed to reflect a 5 day work week, many are not pleased as they may end up with less holidays than they had and less pay. Taiwan, capitalist and lazy bureaucrat paradise.

I think he is in Taiwan but I doubt he works in a normal job (buxiban or office).

I would be highly surprised if a sizable number of workers (possibly none) got Christmas day off due for law reasons. We are taking Christmas day off but that is a private decision and has nothing to do with the gov’t. I know of a couple of different teachers that have been given Christmas off due to working an earlier Saturday.

That’s the easiest bit to explain, Christmas Day hasn’t been a holiday since a bunch of holidays got chopped off when Taiwan moved to the 5 day working week. Hence most people couldn’t be bothered replying to goose egg! :slight_smile:

The other reason is that buxiban teachers and short termers in Taiwan don’t get or don’t care about this!

I mean to ask if he is in Taiwan because he is quoting the Labor Laws, for starters. Example as HHII says that, in order to reflect the 5 day work week enforcement, people are getting pay cuts. In this economy. Other places are simply firing people. Lovely.

Yes, not all workers are the same, and note also not all “holidays” are days off. So, not all days are off, and whichever are, not for everyone. That I think we all can agree.

I appreciate the additional government links, and I especially appreciate the confusion – it means what I heard from my colleague on my parish council wasn’t just wishful thinking, it was actually dependent on who he asked for advice.

Personally, I asked because the welfare committee at my company is planning a company dinner that night. It may even be a Christmas-related dinner, which would be really bizarre for me because even though it would be Christmas Day, most of the company wouldn’t recognize it as anything other than a day that some people call “Christmas Day”. I will write to them and send the Labor link for them to consider. Maybe they will ultimately decide to move the Christmas Dinner out of Christmas so that more people (most of whom actually do not celebrate Christmas) can join and celebrate Christmas. Ya gotta love it

A similar discussion played out years ago here on Forumosa about “holiday pay” but with a focus on annual leave, the so-called “special leave” of Article 36 of the Labor Standards Act. It went on for pages and pages, mostly along the lines of “buxiban teachers aren’t covered by the Labor Standards Act”, until finally people realized/admitted the opposite, and one laoban announced he was going to start following the law for any employee who asked him to, on the condition that that employee receive a pay cut to make up for it (which would be as valid a reason as any to quit using Article 14).

I understand Taiwan can be a confusing place, but that seems to be more because of urban legends that people are willing to believe (and/or the government not doing enough to explain things to foreigners) than because of confusing laws. So don’t take my word for it. Ask the Ministry of Labor. Yes, “LABOR”! :astonished: That means work, employment, jobs…

They have a form here where you can submit questions in English (and only in English).

If the link doesn’t work, just go to 聯絡資訊-勞動部全球資訊網中文網

You should get an answer within about two weeks – in time for Xmas! The answer will probably be in Chinese. If you can’t read Chinese, have a friend – a proper friend, not your employer or your co-worker – translate it.

Alternatively, you can go to your city or county government’s labor dept (at City Hall or whatever they call the county equivalent of City Hall – County Hall?) and ask them in person, though those people don’t always know what they’re talking about, so when in doubt ask them to show you the relevant law, regulation, interpretation, etc. in writing. (Again, it will probably be in Chinese.)

All you need for holidays are the Labor Standards Act (quoted above – if you don’t trust the Ministry of Justice to know the laws, how do you trust anyone to know anything?), the associated Enforcement Rules (also quoted above), the MOL’s rules for part-time workers (僱用部分時間工作勞工應行注意事項) if applicable in your case, and proof that your job is covered by the Act. I’m too lazy to look up the big list of jobs that are covered, but it’s been discussed several times here that buxiban teachers are covered, and you can easily confirm this by asking the govt. (The translation may be “short-term tutorial school”, “cram school”, “short-term supplementary school”, etc. In Chinese it’s 補習班 buxiban or 短期補習班 duanqi buxiban, same thing.)

I have been involved in “Labor-Management disputes” (yes, that L word again!) as a buxiban teacher in both Taipei and New Taipei. Each time it was a pain in a certain body part, but each time the labor dept confirmed I was right, and eventually I received the holiday pay I was owed, including Dec 25 in one case and including Oct 31 in the other case.

I have heard of the changes that are coming in 2016. Enjoy your Christmas aka Constitution Day while it lasts. :discodance:

And sorry to all the Forumosans who aren’t covered due to being civil servants or something… :cry:

Ps. If you work on a holiday, don’t forget the extra money is tax free in most cases. Ask the Ministry of Finance for 台財稅第16713號函 if you don’t believe me.

[quote=“yyy”]
I understand Taiwan can be a confusing place, but that seems to be more because of urban legends that people are willing to believe (and/or the government not doing enough to explain things to foreigners) than because of confusing laws. So don’t take my word for it.[/quote]

Well put, sir. :bravo:

It’s worth mentioning that the civil service bureaucracy style here (and, one assumes, in China) is radically different than in most Western countries (go back 50 years and I expect not so much).
Here, administrative functionaries are incredibly compartmentalized (and probably wouldn’t have it any other way).
As is known, one of the most consistently frustrating things encountered when dealing with these agencies is how what seem (from our perspective) to be closely related departments have no idea at all what’s going on with the other.
I remember when they first released the JFRV work permits, a measure administrated by the MOEE with the support of the CLA. The first time I renewed my JFRV (at the big police station in Hsimen there) I mentioned something about the open WP to the lady at the counter. She flatly, unequivocally, denied that it was so and her co-workers heartily concurred.
But she worked for the Police, who administrated visa affairs for the Dept of Immigration, so it was like apples and Volkswagens.